Bears Draft Pick Poll

Lotsa holes to fill so where do we begin?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Lotsa holes to fill so where do we begin?

• Offensive Lineman
    • Wide Reciever
    • QB
    • Defensive Line
    • Secondary

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
Jacksonville has way better WR's than the Bears do.. so I wouldnt say Leftwich works with junk..

I think you need to see Grossman for a full year before people start callin for a new QB

Oh, don't get me wrong. I just regret taking Haynes at 14, because you could totally tell that this team wasn't sold on that pick. IIRC, that was the year in which they were surpassed by two other teams, because the Bears didn't make their pick within the alotted 15 minutes. I would have been much happier had they traded that pick to another team for a future first rounder, or something along that lines.

And, FWIW, I agree with you. Johnson/Rolle/Barren are all appealing at four, but we have nobody at WR, and Williams is/will be an absolute playmaker. There will be bumps along the way, but if you give Grossman just one weapon on offense, I think he'll make do.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
id give grossman this year, if he doesnt do anything worth it heres what id do

draft next year if they join (possible candidates):

vince young

omar edwards (bowling green)

Man of Steel, you could comment more on this, but unless Vince Young develops a better arm, I really don't think he'll be drafted as a QB. He's a damn good football player, and a helluvan athelete, but I don't think he'll be an NFL QB. I could be wrong, though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Man of Steel, you could comment more on this, but unless Vince Young develops a better arm, I really don't think he'll be drafted as a QB.  He's a damn good football player, and a helluvan athelete, but I don't think he'll be an NFL QB.  I could be wrong, though.

that's what i took from watching him.

He's mike vick w/o the arm....now I could be totally wrong, but that's what I've seen.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
that's what i took from watching him.

He's mike vick w/o the arm....now I could be totally wrong, but that's what I've seen.

So essentially he's a more talented Ronald Curry. He's going to get drafted, but he may need to pull a Randel El.

I just know he impressed the hell out of me in the rose bowl. I'm also starting to like the idea of drafting Williams out of Texas (LB) cause it would give the Bears a good defensive line and linebacking core with a solid secondary. Either Williams or Rolle would look awful good, plus the step down from Rolle to Webster (the 2nd best corner) is a hole hell of a lot.

I think Dub is probably gone and it looks like DT is back. I also think were going to hear that Shea was fired sometime in the next 10 days. I hope to hell they fire his piece of s*** ass. I've never hated a coach more then I hate Shea. That guy has completely f***ed Justin Gage's progress and singlehandedly help ruin the Bears season.

Incompetent isn't just the only thing that comes to mind, asshole comes to mind too. Get that prick bag away from the Bears. His ego is so god damn big it wouldn't matter if the entire team was on IR he'd still call for this 7 step drop/slow developing plays.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
So essentially he's a more talented Ronald Curry.  He's going to get drafted, but he may need to pull a Randel El.

I just know he impressed the hell out of me in the rose bowl.  I'm also starting to like the idea of drafting Williams out of Texas (LB) cause it would give the Bears a good defensive line and linebacking core with a solid secondary.  Either Williams or Rolle would look awful good, plus the step down from Rolle to Webster (the 2nd best corner) is a hole hell of a lot. 

I think Dub is probably gone and it looks like DT is back.  I also think were going to hear that Shea was fired sometime in the next 10 days.  I hope to hell they fire his piece of s*** ass.  I've never hated a coach more then I hate Shea.  That guy has completely f***ed Justin Gage's progress and singlehandedly help ruin the Bears season. 

Incompetent isn't just the only thing that comes to mind, asshole comes to mind too.  Get that prick bag away from the Bears.  His ego is so god damn big it wouldn't matter if the entire team was on IR he'd still call for this 7 step drop/slow developing plays.

I read an article in the Sun-Times today about an un-named player coming out and saying he was incompetent basically. He said he couldnt see or hear at all on the side-line. Let me find it and I'll post it.

Shea goodbye to latest bad offense

One player who asked not to be identified said if Shea is back, he needs to head up to the coaching box because he can't see what is going on from the sideline. The player said the problem with Shea is stubbornness, that he never listens to his players or feigns listening and calls what he wants anyway.

There have been problems within the staff, too. One local television station has a tape of running backs coach Tim Spencer screaming at Shea on the sideline during a victory against the Minnesota Vikings last month. A source said Shea was calling a play that featured tight end Desmond Clark and fullback Bryan Johnson, both of whom were out of the game at the time. Spencer informed Shea of that fact, only to be ignored, then went ballistic.

Smith's staff was the sixth to be put together among seven new hires last offseason, and many of the coaches never had worked together. Shea has kept his own counsel in putting together his game plans, and that has caused some dissension among offensive assistants, none of whom were brought in by the coordinator. In other words, he doesn't have someone to cover his back with the rest of the staff.

Things might have gone differently if injuries hadn't hit so hard, particularly at quarterback. Not many offenses will succeed when they get to their backup quarterback, let alone Nos. 3 and 4.

"This is a great scheme,'' Clark said. "This is my fourth offense playing in, and this is a scheme that can be highly productive. We just have to go out and execute. I believe the people we have can be successful in this scheme.''

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Man of Steel, you could comment more on this, but unless Vince Young develops a better arm, I really don't think he'll be drafted as a QB.  He's a damn good football player, and a helluvan athelete, but I don't think he'll be an NFL QB.  I could be wrong, though.

No I agree with what you said.. Unless he developes his throwing skills better I dont think he could be an NFL QB.. He can run like no other.. but as far as throwing goes it would be a project

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
I just know he impressed the hell out of me in the rose bowl.  I'm also starting to like the idea of drafting Williams out of Texas (LB) cause it would give the Bears a good defensive line and linebacking core with a solid secondary.  Either Williams or Rolle would look awful good, plus the step down from Rolle to Webster (the 2nd best corner) is a hole hell of a lot. 

You mean Derrick Johnson, not Williams. He may be a safer pick, I'll give you that. But our offense is just so sad, unless you make a big fa pickup on that side of the ball, I don't see how you can justify it. I keep thinking about the Ravens, how much trouble they've had despite the great defense. They are still desperate for a wr, after how many years of looking? It's such a big need. And they've had a very good line, and a better rb than ours, and one of the best te in the nfl. (Actually, I'd prefer a lineman if the talent's equal, but not by much, and I think we may get a better player at wr anyway.)

Btw, I really like the wr Gage, too (not the soxtalk "gage procedure", certainly :D ). I only listened to most of the game over the radio -- did he get in the game this week at all? I don't know what the hell Shea's waiting for.

I would love to have a game breaking WR, but I just don't think that either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards fit with the Bears system or are worthy of the #4 overall pick. I would pick OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia in the first round and then hope that WR Chris Henry from West Virginia is still there in the 2nd round and grab him. I really like Chris Henry and most are projecting him to go in the 2nd-3rd round range. If Ferguson comes out early this year then he could potentially be our left tackle for the next 15-20 years.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I would love to have a game breaking WR, but I just don't think that either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards fit with the Bears system or are worthy of the #4 overall pick. I would pick OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia in the first round and then hope that WR Chris Henry from West Virginia is still there in the 2nd round and grab him. I really like Chris Henry and most are projecting him to go in the 2nd-3rd round range. If Ferguson comes out early this year then he could potentially be our left tackle for the next 15-20 years.

id rather get a ot out of free agency, offensive linemen seem to always disappoint, remember tony mandarich, best ot in college football ever bust in the nfl. edwards and williams could fit if we have a qb who could hit them downfield

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
I would love to have a game breaking WR, but I just don't think that either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards fit with the Bears system or are worthy of the #4 overall pick. I would pick OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson in the first round and then hope that Chris Henry is still therre in the 2nd round and grab him.

Whether or not that's true, we don't know yet how much the system's going to change between this year and next. We gotta wait and see what happens w/ Shea. One thing that was mentioned (maybe on the radio on Sunday?) is that the Bears also need to improve their te corps. If in the 2nd round you pick between wr and te the best player available, that may work well.

QUOTE(USAF_11F4H @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)

The weakest strength of schedules are the first to pick. Bears had the lowest of all of the 5-11 teams. BTW If you look at that link it does say "projected draft order" If you read any of the Chicago papers on line, they are all saying #4.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
id rather get a ot out of free agency, offensive linemen seem to always disappoint, remember tony mandarich, best ot in college football ever bust in the nfl. edwards and williams could fit if we have a qb who could hit them downfield

Walter Jones and Orlando Pace will be franchised so you can forget about them. You named one offensive lineman out of how many? Remember Johnathan Ogden? Jordan Gross? Tony Boselli? John Tait? Orlando Pace? Walter Jones? There are a ton others that are definately worth it and D'Brickashaw Ferguson is thought of as a franchise type LT especially if he adds more bulk. Scouts say he may have the best footwork for any OT ever!

WRs turn out to be busts more than not in the first round. Much more so than OTs.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Whether or not that's true, we don't know yet how much the system's going to change between this year and next.  We gotta wait and see what happens w/ Shea.  One thing that was mentioned (maybe on the radio on Sunday?) is that the Bears also need to improve their te corps.  If in the 2nd round you pick between wr and te the best player available, that may work well.

From what I have read and heard Lovie will bring in someone to run the same system if they do end up firing Shea. It is not the system they are having a problem with, it is the person calling the plays and the person running the system they have a problem with. Lovie loves the St. Louis/KC offense and wants to run it here. I do agree with you that you need a TE, but I don't see a difference maker in that dept.