New Whitesox Rumor

Winnin Ugly

I agree i would definitly take a healthy ray durham over Polanco. Especially after seeing durham's stats last year...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Hell just to throw it out there if the Sox wanted Rowand in the 2 hole they could put Durham in the 3 hole. 

:o

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's everyone griping about? Ray Durham back with the Sox would be huge. Ray was a lot of people's favorite player when here. I loved him, still do. He brings a face back to the Sox and should help with merchandise sales and even attendence...He is also an extremely solid 2B. People want to moan and groan about losing all this power and whatnot, and now we have a chance to bring in another 20 HR guy, who gets on base, and is fast...and you guys complain? I know he makes ~6.5 mil per year, but I think it's a good bet that we'd be getting some money. Even at $5 mil per season, Ray is a great addition.

Before the off season began, there were rumors that our payroll would rise to ~$75 million. Where are we at now? ~$69 million? Well this addition puts us right on that track, if indeed those rumors were true. You keep Valdez to backup Uribe, and you have yourself an extremely solid squad. KW would have address EVERY need that we had. I'd probably faint if this were to happen...

It would be interesting to see what they would do with Rowand in the batting order...drop him to 3rd, 5th, 6th?

Pods

Durham

Thomas

Konerko

Rowand

Piersynski

Dye

Uribe

Crede

or...

Pods

Durham

Rowand

Thomas

Konerko

AJ

Dye

Crede

Uribe

There are sooo many combinations you can make with that lineup. It's solid from top to bottom...

GET RAY RAY!!

Several points to consider:

- I don't recall the Giants ever getting rid of a guy and paying a ton of his salary.

- Durham is becoming injury prone and his defense never was that great

- Supposedly there is a rift between Durham and KW, maybe Steff can add details

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
- Supposedly there is a rift between Durham and KW, maybe Steff can add details

Steff is going on a vactation, but regarding this Durham situation I'm told there is some smoke here. They have inquired about him, no other information that than at this time.

One thing people need to remember is that Ray gives us a lot of the HRs we have lost with the loss of Maggs, CLee and Valentin back

Trust me, you still need power to win in this game, especially at our ball park

Just look at Boston and the Card line up last year.

Also, Ray would easily hit 25-30 dingers at the "new and improved" Cell

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Ray was traded because we wouldn't meet his contract demands.

That's complete and utter bulls***. Ray didn't have "contract demands".

To reiterate Show.. there's smoke per his brother. Ray is unavaliable via phone at this time and I don't know if I'll get anything before I board the plane tomorrow.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
Has their been any reports in Chicago about  Ray coming back to Chicago... Here in San Fran they think the deal will go through. One of the host on KNBR thinks that the Giants wants Damaso Marte in return

Nothing here, Steff is our insider though, and if she hear's something she'll let us know.

Ugh, I like Ray, but I'm not giving up a left handed reliever like him in a trade like this.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
Has their been any reports in Chicago about  Ray coming back to Chicago... Here in San Fran they think the deal will go through. One of the host on KNBR thinks that the Giants wants Damaso Marte in return

We trade marte for him i will become very pissed very quickly.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
Ray here again would be interesting.

Before he was always counted on to be the lead off guy and run. I think now with Rowand, Uribe, and Pod at the top he can be slid down in the order and he can focus on hitting.

Very true....It always seemed he had better numbers when he wasn't leading off.

As far as who we could trade back, I would say it's safe to assume the Giants won't pay us anything. They're in no position to be sending cash in deals. So the Sox would have to deal some cash back to fit Ray in our payroll situation.

Ray makes 6.5 million in 2005, Figure we have 2-3 million left to spend ourselves and we have to deal 3-3.5 million off the roster.

Prospects are out since the Giants don't want them.

They're outfield is set, so I can't see Carl going.

Sox are no position to deal Garland unless they have a Vazquez deal on the table, or something way the hell out of left field.

I'm stumped here....

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)

too much of a price to pay

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
yeah ray isnt worth it with what he getting paid and on top of that with them wanting marte.... maybe id do that trade if they gave us their 3B dude alfonzo or whatevr his name is... he is good and still like 26.

He is 31.