Schoeneweis vs Hermanson

BamaDoc

No one's suggesting he be the 5th starter. All I'm saying is that as a starter he performed as good in the NL as Garland did in the AL. That's a good thing to have. Likewise he served as a closer for SFG. Another good thing to have.

So we have a reasonable option as a backup starter & backup closer in a very dependable long relief guy.

I really hope JonG improves in 2005. I would like him to prove to the world that he can really be a solid #3/#4 guy. This is really his last chance. If he doesn't do it this year then he'll be nothing more than a #5.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
No one's suggesting he be the 5th starter.  All I'm saying is that as a starter he performed as good in the NL as Garland did in the AL. That's a good thing to have. Likewise he served as a closer for SFG.  Another good thing to have.

So we have a reasonable option as a backup starter & backup closer in a very dependable long relief guy.

I really hope JonG improves in 2005.  I would like him to prove to the world that he can really be a solid #3/#4 guy.  This is really his last chance.  If he doesn't do it this year then he'll be nothing more than a #5.

And that's the difference. Hermanson in the NL vs. Garland in the AL. If they both pitched in different leagues, Garland would have much better stats.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Hey just because you don't understand that a starter's value is equal to runs surrendered per start (quality vs poor starts) is no reason to get upset.  Yes Jon pitches in the much tougher AL & at the Cell.  Ok, I'll grant you that.  It's as good a reason to explain his mediocrity as anything else.

:chair

So wait -- was it Hermanson's 7 quality starts last season -- a qaulity start percentage of 39%

compared to Garlands 16 quality starts -- a quality start percentage of 48% -- That must be what you are talking about.

Or maybe it was Hermanson's 2 quality starts in 2003 -- qaulity start percentage of 33%

Or that he only started one game while sucking it up for the BoSox --

In the last three seasons Hermanson has 9 quality starts -- Garland had 16 just last season, and 47 for the last three seasons --- If it's R/S that you value, Garland is the clear winner.

Let's look at the reality of what it takes to win a division with a 70M payroll.

There are 6 months to the season. A team must average 15-16 wins a month. That leaves a cushion of 10-11 loses per month. That's difficult to begin with. If a team has 15 loses in 1 month than it can only afford to lose 5-6 in another month. An even harder task to accomplish.

That is why month to month statistics matter. You need to put together a team that is consistent enough in pitching, hitting, & defense to win 15-16 games a month. A player that hit's 324 one month & 182 the next is not going to help you do that. A player that has an era < 4 1 month & an era > 5 the next isn't going to help either. It would be better to have a player that avg's a 4.50 era month to month.

Take it a step further. If all 5 starters on the sox average 10 bad starts a year then for the most part that's 50 losses right there. That leaves you with about 20 losses remaining if you want to win a division. If 5R+ is a bad start for a starter, then you need the good majority of his remaining starts to be 3R- to win 92 of the remaining 112. That means fewer than 4 non-quality starts per starter for the remaining 92 games. Jon had 9.

Simply put a rotation is allowed betw 45-50 bad starts, & 20-25 non-quality starts. That leaves 92 quality starts. You can't win a division w/out it.

If Jon is going to consume 9 of the non-quality starts allowed, then someone else has to pick up his slack.

I don't know enough about the SFG to fathom why they moved Herm out of the rotation. Maybe they had a pressing need at closer. All I do know is that if you look at the starts he did have he managed 10 quality starts, 3 non-q starts, & 5 bad starts. Garland managed 15 quality starts, 9 non-q starts, & 10 bad starts. So Herm gave the SFG a 10-8 split & Jon gave the CWS a 15-19 split.

Herm was hit & miss in Jul before being moved to the pen.

Jul 3 v OAK 7ip/0er dominant

Jul 8 v ARI 6ip/5er bad

Jul 18 @COL 5ip/3er ok

Jul 23 @STL 6.2ip/2er dominant

JUl 28 @SD 5.1ip/6er bad

That certainly suggests he was moved to the pen out of need & not

because he failed as a starter.

SScho: 0r 0, 1r 3, 2r 2, 3r 4, 4r 4, 5r 3, 6r 1, 8r 1, 9r 1

9 qs, 4 nqs, 6 bad starts. 9-10 split. But he went down Aug 4.

A 4 month player. The guy has been plagued by injuries his whole career.

If you use him as a starter he won't last. If you use him as a reliever he's not as effective.

There is a risk with Herm, but I think that risk is less than most NL pitchers because he plays in the NLW. COL is effective at skewing the numbers enough to give a better idea of what they guy will do in the AL.

What I like most about Herm's starts is that there is consistency month to month.

Apr 2 qs, 1 bad

May 3 qs, 1 nqs

Jun 3 qs, 2 nqs, 1 bad

Jul 3 qs, 2 bad

If he were to do that for us in the event El-Duque went down after Jul, that would still give us 6 qs the rest of the way. Only 4 bad starts. We can still win with that.

When I said I'd rather have SS than DH, I was not talking about using as a starter. Let him be LR and mop up. But in the event you need 2 or 3 spot starts from time to time, he'd be effective if healthy. That's not pulling a full load as a starter.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
SScho: 0r 0, 1r 3, 2r 2, 3r 4, 4r 4, 5r 3, 6r 1, 8r 1, 9r 1

9 qs, 4 nqs, 6 bad starts.  13-6 split. But he went down Aug 4.

A 4 month player.  The guy has been plagued by injuries his whole career.

If you use him as a starter he won't last.  If you use him as a reliever he's not as effective.

For someone who keeps spitting out stats you sure do miss the big picture an awful lot.

Not as effective as a reliever? 3.95ERA .249BAA from the pen compared with 5.48ERA .283BAA as a starter (last 3 seasons)-- Seems to me that he's much more effective as a reliever. Plus he's got a career WHIP and BAA of 1.19 and .237 respectively, against lefties -- I'd say that he'd make a very effective LOOGY.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

For someone who keeps spitting out stats you sure do miss the big picture an awful lot.

Not as effective as a reliever? 3.95ERA .249BAA from the pen compared with 5.48ERA .283BAA as a starter (last 3 seasons)-- Seems to me that he's much more effective as a reliever.  Plus he's got a career WHIP and BAA of 1.19 and .237 respectively, against lefties -- I'd say that he'd make a very effective LOOGY.

Here we go again. What is most important for a RP is not surrendering runs. That's there job. If they need to walk a guy to get that job done so be it.

Herm RP 0R 23, 1R 2, 2R 2, 4R 2

He failed 6 out of 29 appearances. I would call that effective. You can scale that

to 12 out of 60 to see just how much.

SSch RP 03: 0r 39, 1r 10, 2r 7, 3r 1, 4r 2

He failed 20 out of 59 appearances. I don't know if I would call that effective.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Here we go again.  What is most important for a RP is not surrendering runs.  That's there job.  If they need to walk a guy to get that job done so be it.

Herm RP 0R 23, 1R 2, 2R 2, 4R 2

He failed 6 out of 29 appearances.  I would call that effective.  You can scale that

to 12 out of 60 to see just how much.

SSch RP 03: 0r 39, 1r 10, 2r 7, 3r 1, 4r 2

He failed 20 out of 59 appearances.  I don't know if I would call that effective.

Traslation:

2002-2004 as a reliever:

Hermanson: 5.61ERA -- mostly in the NL/pitching parks

Schoeneweis: 3.95ERA -- mostly in the AL/hitters parks

Yep Hermanson did a great job of not surrendering runs

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Here we go again.  What is most important for a RP is not surrendering runs.  That's there job.  If they need to walk a guy to get that job done so be it.

Don't forget Hermanson walked 3 guys straight against the Dodgers in that end of season series that pretty much killed the season for the Giants.

I would pick Hermanson because he's more realiable than ShoE... ShoE just didnt fit well in the rotation but was a godd pen guy, he just wanted to start.

Im glad we are giving Hermanson this chance to help solidify our pen.

see you in Toronto ShoE :bringit

takatsuclub.gif

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
I guess I'm the only one that appreciated what Schoney has to offer.  Okay.  So be it.  I hope everyone else is right and I'm wrong.

Gene picked him over Dustin a couple posts above your first.