Cora to Cleveland

sircaffey

"Cleveland Indians Updated:01/13/2005

Alex Cora, the Dodgers' regular second baseman for the past two years, has agreed in principle to play for the Indians, reports the Orange County Register. Cora, 29, who wasn't tended a contract by Los Angeles, likely will play shortstop for Cleveland at least during the first year of his two-year deal, the newspaper said."

Options continue to slim down...

That is from CBSSportsline.com if you are curious.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I still want to see KW add a veteran INF... didn't have to be Cora, but hope he can pull something out (even though he would be a rookie, I think Iguchi can fill this hole). But it doesn't have to be flashy, I would have accepted a player the level of the Ex-Cub Alex Gonzalez (I know he's with TB now, but an example). I want to see a competent backup... don't want to rely on Valdez

s***. :banghead

I really thought Cora was going to wear Black and Silver this season. I'll eat a little crow.

Hopefully, Kenny has something up his sleeve. We can't afford to go into 2005 with a backup middle infield of Wilson Valdez.

I'll give Kenny the benefit of the doubt. Maybe this sets the table for a suprise annoucment at Soxfest!?

Just bring in somebody to challenge Harris. Anyone. Any warm body will do.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
I still want to see KW add a veteran INF... didn't have to be Cora, but hope he can pull something out (even though he would be a rookie, I think Iguchi can fill this hole).  But it doesn't have to be flashy, I would have accepted a player the level of the Ex-Cub Alex Gonzalez (I know he's with TB now, but an example).  I want to see a competent backup... don't want to rely on Valdez

I agree. I just don't think Cora is a good fit for this club. We'd be replacing Willie Harris with a slow Willie Harris.

QUOTE(Loaiza21 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Wilson Valdez doesn't deserve to be on this team, he's done nothing to prove he can hit up here yet so we shouldn't have him as backup option #1 for any reason. Spend the money to get Iguchi in here!

But what has Iguchi done to prove he can hit up here?

QUOTE(Loaiza21 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Wilson Valdez doesn't deserve to be on this team, he's done nothing to prove he can hit up here yet so we shouldn't have him as backup option #1 for any reason. Spend the money to get Iguchi in here!

Valdez can serve as a defensive replacement, to rest a regular or as a short term filler in case of an injury. If someone gets hurt long term, we'd have to get someone ASAP.