Pods or Rowand in CF?

TLAK

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I know Oz has mentioned Rowand as the CF but we'll have to watch in spring training,  things have a habit of changing.  Based on last year's numbers, as nice as Aaron played, I have to give Pods the edge.

Great problem to have...this is probably the most excited I've ever been for the beginning of baseball...and after last year's offseason...it's a good change.

We all know Rowand can play a damn decent CF. Just because Pods may be faster doesn't mean he'll cover more ground than Rowand. You have to consider positioning, reads, jump, etc. Unless Pods just proves to be a superior CF in ST, which I highly doubt, I think we'll see ARow roaming CF at the Cell.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
I forgot about TangoTigers scouting report by the fans, for the fans -- http://www.tangotiger.net/scouting/scoutResults2004.html -- But it further enforces my belief that Rowand should be in Center.

Here's how the two ranked.

Player Age GP Overall

Position-Neutral

Instincts FirstStep Speed Hands Release Strength Accuracy Ballots Agreement

Level

Rowand, Aaron 27 122 70 71 74 71 66 67 69 67 17 0.79

Podsednik, Scott 28 151 44 31 53 83 35 36 22 39 11 0.46

Rowand is in the top 20% in every defensive category. The agreement level is very low for Podsednik, but across the board his numbers are worse than rowands.  The low agreement means that some people rate him very high, while others rate him low (see Jeter/Valentin)

Very cool. As you point out, that low agreement indicates some fans just hate him. I, myself, have a personal bias toward speed in center -I used to campaign to put Willie out there full time- which predisposes me to favor Scott. But I must admit I have not seen nearly enough of him to back up my argument with anything more than Baseball-Reference stats. To get the CF job, all he's got to do is play better than Aaron Rowand, so he'll have to do pretty good to pull it off.