Current Sox depth chart

Texsox

I really think the time it coming for Jason Grilli to be taken off the 40 man roster. He is a waste of roster space. Diaz out performed him in AAA and at least had a couple of decent starts at the major league level.

Worst case scenario we designate him for assignment and he ends up in Charlotte.

Best case scenario someone claims him and we no longer have to worry about KW bringing him up.

I would say a 6-man bullpen...

Hermanson

Cotts

Vizcaino

Politte

Marte

Shingo

Both Hermanson and Cotts can eat alot of innings and can even spot start if we have injuries to our rotation. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that though. :pray Hopefully, we will have a new 2nd baseman taking up a roster spot soon.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
You think the Sox will go with a 6 or 7 man bullpen?

6 man:

Shingo

Marte

Vizcaino

Hermanson

Politte

Cotts

7 man:

Shingo

Marte

Vizcaino

Hermanson

Politte

Cotts

Diaz, Munoz, or Grilli?

If Grilli makes the pen it means that KW and Ozzie have suffered severe brain damage and should be taken to the hospital. It'll be Diaz, Munoz, or Adkins.

You think the Sox will go with a 6 or 7 man bullpen?

6 man:

Shingo

Marte

Vizcaino

Hermanson

Politte

Cotts

7 man:

Shingo

Marte

Vizcaino

Hermanson

Politte

Cotts

Diaz, Munoz, or Grilli?

With the addition of El Duque and the fact that the Sox pen already pitched the least innings of any ML club last year, I gotta say a 6 man pen is a pretty safe bet IMO.

The weird off days pretty much make it a lock for the Sox to go w 6 in the pen.

There isn't much to go on with W Valdez but what is there suggests he can hit LH pitching. That's Harris' biggest weakness & knowing how Ozzie was able to get Val to give up switch hitting I feel a little better about going w a Harris+Valdez tandem. Harris v RH, & Valdez v LH.

Agree it will likely be a 6 man pen.

Nothing wrong with competition for that last spot. They've basically announced the intended roles already:

Shingo: Closer

Hermanson/Marte: 8th inning, possibly close at times

Viz: 7th inning

Politte: 6th inning

They seem to like what Cotts can do and you really do need two lefties, plus Cotts can be the long guy if necessary, i.e. a guy gets KO'd in the 2nd inning. Hermanson can do it too, depending on the situation.

I can't see them carrying 12 pitchers, but could be wrong. It shortens the bench, and Ozzie wants a deep bench. Adkins should realistically have a spot, assuming a good spring, but I do not see where he fits.

KW always wants a staff of 15-16 guys who can pitch in the ML due to injuries and such. If certain guys can get through unclaimed, you have guys like Grilli and Diaz and Munoz, plus Adkins, Walker the lefty, and probably a few minor league invitees. Not all of these are out of options, but I believe Adkins is and Grilli.

Lots can happen ... at this point it's better to have too many bodies.

The weird off days pretty much make it a lock for the Sox to go w 6 in the pen.

There isn't much to go on with W Valdez but what is there suggests he can hit LH pitching.  That's Harris' biggest weakness & knowing how Ozzie was able to get Val to give up switch hitting I feel a little better about going w a Harris+Valdez tandem.  Harris v RH, & Valdez v LH.

IMO your logic is sound, but I wonder if the White Sox feel they can go for a pennant with two big question marks at 2B ... plus a talented guy at SS who's claiming the full time job for the 1st time.

To be frank, I'm more excited about this Pablo Ozuna guy than Valdez, simply because he stole a bunch of bases last year. I don't know much about either player and the stats never tell the whole story. Neither appears to draw many walks.

I may be wrong here, but didn't Ozzie talk about Wilson Valdez in September, saying he's got some things to work on? Something like, he might be a decent reserve soon but I'm not sure about him ever being a regular? Maybe I'm just reading into it.

Point being ... they need a veteran somewhere in the mix. Appears to be their thinking, I happen to agree.

But I would definitely like to see Valdez get a ton of playing time in spring. Let's see more of what this guy has. If somebody gets hurt, they'll probably need him.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
IMO your logic is sound, but I wonder if the White Sox feel they can go for a pennant with two big question marks at 2B ... plus a talented guy at SS who's claiming the full time job for the 1st time.

To be frank, I'm more excited about this Pablo Ozuna guy than Valdez, simply because he stole a bunch of bases last year.  I don't know much about either player and the stats never tell the whole story.  Neither appears to draw many walks.

I may be wrong here, but didn't Ozzie talk about Wilson Valdez in September, saying he's got some things to work on?  Something like, he might be a decent reserve soon but I'm not sure about him ever being a regular?  Maybe I'm just reading into it.

Point being ... they need a veteran somewhere in the mix.  Appears to be their thinking, I happen to agree.

But I would definitely like to see Valdez get a ton of playing time in spring.  Let's see more of what this guy has.  If somebody gets hurt, they'll probably need him.

The skinny on Valdez is that he's a great fielder, which is extremely important in Ozzie's book on SS's, and has a good arm and range, so he's got no major problems in the field, plus he played some 2B in September IIRC.

Now the main problem with Wilson is that he never takes a walk, although he has 2 in 1 game for the Sox or Knights, which was really quite freaky. So unless he can hit above .270 in the majors, his OBP isn't likely to get past or maybe even up to the .300 mark. He has hit .300 with Charlotte and Alberquque though.

7 man:

Shingo

Marte

Vizcaino

Hermanson

Politte

Cotts

Diaz, Munoz, or Grilli?

If your gonna make a 7 man pen, then why in the hell isn't Adkins on there? It will be him not Diaz/Munoz/Baj/Grilli/my mother

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
The skinny on Valdez is that he's a great fielder, which is extremely important in Ozzie's book on SS's, and has a good arm and range, so he's got no major problems in the field, plus he played some 2B in September IIRC.

Now the main problem with Wilson is that he never takes a walk, although he has 2 in 1 game for the Sox or Knights, which was really quite freaky. So unless he can hit above .270 in the majors, his OBP isn't likely to get past or maybe even up to the .300 mark. He has hit .300 with Charlotte and Alberquque though.

That's been my major issue with Valdez all along. Ozzie wants guys who can get on base and this guy couldn't draw a walk in AAA.

Has the boat sailed on Bryant Nelson? Or was he one of the invites?

Something else to consider is with Frank probably going to be on the DL for a couple of months, that opens up an extra spot which I think will go to Burke. The final roster spot most likely comes down to Diaz or Adkins (as a 7th pitcher), or Burke (as a Righty off the bench who can C, 3B, 1B, Corner OF).

Which would you rather have as your 25th man?

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Ahh, you can never have enough poor, slow defensive rightfielders.

Right field race? Forget the stop watch, being a calendar. It looks like a couple guys are going to be logging some serious sub time if things do not change. Like most teams, we are thin in spots. A couple injuries and it's 2004 Part 2

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
Right field race? Forget the stop watch, being a calendar. It looks like a couple guys are going to be logging some serious sub time if things do not change. Like most teams, we are thin in spots. A couple injuries and it's 2004 Part 2

When Frank comes back I actually think the bench is pretty deep. Carl will essentially become a bench player even though I'm sure he'll get a decent amount of playing time, you also have ross who a lot of us thought could have been a starter this year and Timo who has been a starter before. Backing up aj we have ben and jamie which isn't that bad either, neither of them are great but both could probably step in and atleast hold the position down. Right now the obvious missing link is a utility guy who can give juan and willie breaks, I'm sure we'll pick a utility man up cause that seems like something kenny is really set on but as of right now I don't think the team is that thin besides the middle infield slots, jmo.

I agree that depth wise we're not as bad as 2004. When Maggs went down the team was still competitive with Gload, Timo, etc. taking over RF. But when Frank went down the team tanked badly. They were 5+ gms under 500 in Jul & Aug. Uggh.

This year if Dye goes down we still have Gload+Timo so we can survive.

Plus we have a healthy Everett. So we can even absorb a loss of Rowand or Pods. Since Thomas will be starting late it's unlikely he'll go down. At least that's been his career history when coming off an injury.

The stuff coming out on Pablo Ozuna is great to read. If he continues that in ST he's got a decent shot at winning both a bench spot & possibly 2B.