Iguchi very close to signing a 2 yr deal?

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
damn this thing is starting to get dragged out...............

Im not sold on Iguchi at all, but the signing can't hurt, its not my $$ right?? Get a deal done.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on him either... but at this point I think the Sox need a back-up IF who isn't a "rookie" Now I know Iguchi would be technically a rookie, but he has performed in a league where other players have came to MLB and had success (i know there is failures too). I just would feel better with him than Wilson Valdez. I would have been OK with a tragically average MLB vetran back-up like Enrique Wilson, Alex Gonzalez, etc... but those guys are gone now, so Iguchi is the best option out there barring a trade

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess thats good news the yanks are always a threat 2 nab a player but i thought our main contender in the iguchi race were the bo sox :huh

Nope. The Red Sox aren't interested in Iguchi anymore. They just re-signed Mark Bellhorn to start at 2B and traded for and signed Ramon Vazquez to be their backup utility man.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bo...s_bos&fext=.jsp

There really isn't any competition for the Sox in signing Iguchi unless there is some unnamed team out there that is interested in him.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on him either... but at this point I think the Sox need a back-up IF who isn't a "rookie"  Now I know Iguchi would be technically a rookie, but he has performed in a league where other players have came to MLB and had success (i know there is failures too).  I just would feel better with him than Wilson Valdez. I would have been OK with a tragically average MLB vetran back-up like Enrique Wilson, Alex Gonzalez, etc... but those guys are gone now, so Iguchi is the best option out there barring a trade

I don't think Iguchi is slotted as the utility guy. We'll likely see one more move if/when Iguchi is signed. There is question in terms of Iguchi's ability to play SS anymore, and I don't believe he's ever played 3B.

What do we know about this Pablo Ozuna, what's his experience level at 2B, 3B? I know he's played a lot of SS.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on him either... but at this point I think the Sox need a back-up IF who isn't a "rookie"  Now I know Iguchi would be technically a rookie, but he has performed in a league where other players have came to MLB and had success (i know there is failures too).  I just would feel better with him than Wilson Valdez. I would have been OK with a tragically average MLB vetran back-up like Enrique Wilson, Alex Gonzalez, etc... but those guys are gone now, so Iguchi is the best option out there barring a trade

Enrique Wilson is more tragic than average. I can't for the life of me understand why you'd take a player who's definitely awful over an unknown commodity like Valdez. How much worse can Valdez possibly be than Wilson's .210/.257/.329 over the last few years?

I would expect Iguchi to have at least as many growing pains as a rookie. If they sign him, it should be for talent reasons, not experience.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
Enrique Wilson is more tragic than average.  I can't for the life of me understand why you'd take a player who's definitely awful over an unknown commodity like Valdez.  How much worse can Valdez possibly be than Wilson's .210/.257/.329 over the last few years?

I would expect Iguchi to have at least as many growing pains as a rookie.  If they sign him, it should be for talent reasons, not experience.

I also hope that, contrary to popular belief, the Sox keep Harris if they sign Iguchi.

A lot of people (I won't mention names) think that Iguchi is an absolute lock to hit .280 with about 15-20 homers, 60+ RBIs -- when in all reality, he could flop and be worse than Harris was last season.

Other than his last two years, Iguchi has been extrememly inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, and I definitely am for the Sox getting Iguchi -- however, don't think that he won't have his struggles, because he will...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
I'm definately not sold on iguchi

OBP's

1999 -- age 25 -- .310

2000 -- age 26 -- .317

2001 -- age 27 -- .346

2002 -- age 28 -- .317

2003 -- age 29 -- .438

2004 -- age 30 -- .394

Which of those numbers are we supposed to belive, the ones hovering around .300 or those of the last 2 seasons?

Put me in the "not sold" camp as well. I might feel a little bit better if someone from the Sox organ. had actually seen him play in person

But I look at a possible Iguchi signing at worst as someone to platoon w/ Willie, someone who is prob. fundamentally sound in playing team baseball [jumping to conclusions here, I know]. At best, he continues some of the same things he's learned the last 2 yrs. Hopefully, he can also play SS. But if he hasn't the last few yrs, he's prob. not up for it

Put me in the "not sold" camp as well. I might feel a little bit better if someone from the Sox organ. had actually seen him play in person

But I look at a possible Iguchi signing at worst as someone to platoon w/ Willie, someone who is prob. fundamentally sound in playing team baseball [jumping to conclusions here, I know]. At best, he continues some of the same things he's learned the last 2 yrs. Hopefully, he can also play SS. But if he hasn't the last few yrs, he's prob. not up for it

On the numbers, supposedly he changed his batting stance before the 2003 season and experienced a breakthrough.

On the SS thing, he hasn't played SS since 2000 ... seems to me it wouldn't be wise to count on him there.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
On the numbers, supposedly he changed his batting stance before the 2003 season and experienced a breakthrough.

On the SS thing, he hasn't played SS since 2000 ... seems to me it wouldn't be wise to count on him there.

Those 2003, 2004 numbers look like you'd get from guys in the states who'd been hanging out w/ Bonds trainer :D . At least he'd only be a platoon guy. Your pal wee Willie amy just get enough of a spark from the competition to "live up to his potential". [prob. not]

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Those 2003, 2004 numbers look like you'd get from guys in the states who'd been hanging out w/ Bonds trainer :D . At least he'd only be a platoon guy. Your pal wee Willie amy just get enough of a spark from the competition to "live up to his potential". [prob. not]

Just as JimH stated, he changed his batting stance. One of the direct results, supposedly, was that he stopped being a dead pull hitter. For the last 2 years he has been going with the pitch. Hopefully, this is the case and we will end up with a good contact #2 hitter with a respectable OBP. While I'm at it, might as well hope for an aggressive running approach and solid D. :pray

Iguchi's AB/HR figures:

1997: 27.125

1998: 20.048 (full season)

1999: 26.429

2000: 23.143

2001: 18.400 (full season)

2002: 23.778

2003: 19.074 (full season)

2004: 21.250 (full season)

When healthy, you can see these numbers for Iguchi are quite impressive considering he plays in a pitchers park with high fences. He will help make up for lost power in Maggs, Lee, and Thomas (half of season). Konerko averaged a home run about every 14 AB's last year and Lee every 19 AB's. That was playing half their games in Coors east.

Now I'm not sure if a pitcher's park in Japan is like a hitter's park in the States, or just how drasticly different the talent level is. But you'd think he'd provide at least some power numbers from the 2B position, which we haven't seen for awhile.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Iguchi's AB/HR figures:

1997:  27.125

1998:  20.048  (full season)

1999:  26.429

2000:  23.143

2001:  18.400  (full season)

2002:  23.778

2003:  19.074  (full season)

2004:  21.250  (full season)

When healthy, you can see these numbers for Iguchi are quite impressive considering he plays in a pitchers park with high fences.  He will help make up for lost power in Maggs, Lee, and Thomas (half of season).  Konerko averaged a home run about every 14 AB's last year and Lee every 19 AB's.  That was playing half their games in Coors east.

Now I'm not sure if a pitcher's park in Japan is like a hitter's park in the States, or just how drasticly different the talent level is.  But you'd think he'd provide at least some power numbers from the 2B position, which we haven't seen for awhile.

Tuffy Rhodes holds the HR record in Japan. -- Yes that Tuffy Rhodes

Matsui hit 55 HR's in his season before hitting the YAnks. He now has 47 in over 1200 at bats on this side of the Pacific.

HR #'s don't traslate very well.

I know a lot of people are only really considering the offensive impact of signing Iguchi. But Tadahito will also be a major upgrade over Harris in the defensive department as well, a DP combo or Uribe and Iguchi will be one of the best in the league.

I know a lot of people are only really considering the offensive impact of signing Iguchi. But Tadahito will also be a major upgrade over Harris in the defensive department as well, a DP combo or Uribe and Iguchi will be one of the best in the league.

Not to throw a wet blanket over this topic, but has anyone confirmed via translation that Iguchi is in Chicago for a physical?

Or for that matter, quote/translation on the $5.85M offer?

I've looked at his official site and obviously can't decipher anything. Nor can I find any new info in Google or Yahoo.

??

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Not to throw a wet blanket over this topic, but has anyone confirmed via translation that Iguchi is in Chicago for a physical?

Or for that matter, quote/translation on the $5.85M offer?

I've looked at his official site and obviously can't decipher anything.  Nor can I find any new info in Google or Yahoo.

??

The only reference that I've seen is from the Japanese Baseball Forums about the 2 year $6 mill deal that Moss proposed. But no, I haven't seen anywhere on the net about a physical, or the Sox agreeing to the $5.85 million deal.

The only reference that I've seen is from the Japanese Baseball Forums about the 2 year $6 mill deal that Moss proposed. But no, I haven't seen anywhere on the net about a physical, or the Sox agreeing to the $5.85 million deal.

I guess I'm referring to the 1st post in this thread.

Supposedly a friend of one of our posters stated he read info that Iguchi was in town taking a physical, and the deal was close at $5.85 over 2 yrs. with a team option for a 3rd. That is newer info than Moss offering a 2 yr. $6M deal.

Yet, the poster did not say specifically which website he saw this on.

What I'm saying ... there are some loose ends here ... how do we know this is actually happening?

Personally, I believe they will sign Iguchi but at the very least it would be nice if the poster who started this thread could tell us specifically where his friend read the info. Further, can we find someone who reads Japanese? :D :lolhitting

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)

Major upgrade? Harris is a great defensive 2B.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
Major upgrade?  Harris is a great defensive 2B.

Tadahito would have a much better arm than Willie, and his range would probably be a little bit better. Not that I'm saying Willie's bad, I probably shouldn't have used the word major, but nevertheless, it's still an upgrade.