Iguchi very close to signing a 2 yr deal?

Winnin Ugly

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
Didn't Iguchi need to be moved from SS to 2B because of arm troubles?

That was from a shoulder problem in 2002, so his stats for that year shouldn't really be considered.

Ok I'm going to make a repost on all the information that I found on Iguchi in case some people don't have all the facts and because I think it's relevant;

1 - Iguchi's possible stats if he moved in 2004 (late 2003 piece):

All those numbers are relatively close, so we can infer a Japanese player’s batting average will take a .015 hit when coming to the Majors, they will hit about an equal number of doubles, 4% less home runs, .080 less walks, and 5% less strikeouts. Here are Matsui and Iguchi’s career Japanese stats, and their last 3 seasons:

Matsui career: .309H/AB, .058 2B/AB, .032HR/AB, .081BB/AB, .162K/AB

Matsui 3-year: .315H/AB, .064 2B/AB, .054HR/AB, .089BB/AB, .185K/AB

Iguchi career: .259H/AB, .047 2B/AB, .047HR/AB, .103BB/AB, .230K/AB

Iguchi 3-year: .288H/AB, .052 2B/AB, .050HR/AB, .113BB/AB, .189K/AB

So, after using those stats, and the Hideki-Ichiro conversion, I have these predictions for these players in 2004, given 600AB:

Matsui: .295, 31 doubles, 15HR, 24BB, 72K

Iguchi: .255, 24 doubles, 18HR, 45BB, 90K

Iguchi is an above-average second basemen, and can even play a decent shortstop. He has Gold Glove potential at the right side of the bag, and is merely average to the left. He has sensational speed, likely good for about 40-50SB. Tadahito will turn 29 in December, so a 3-year deal would be much smarter with him.

2 - Forum Thoughts;

agree that he'll probably be another Taguchi, just because Iguchi has never hit for a high average here despite a ton of protection in the lineup, but let's not put Taguchi in the same sentence as Shinjo.

Iguchi had a 30-30 season in 2001, no small feat in a 140 game schedule, and hitting 30 homers with half of your games at spacious Fukuoka Dome is pretty impressive as well. Furthermore, Tadahito batted .261/.346/.475 in 2001; an OPS of 821, with 97 RBI and 44 SB. That's excellent production for a shortstop. For comparison, Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees produced an 858 OPS with 74 RBI and 27 SB that same season and Miguel Tejada of the Oakland A's had an 801 OPS with 113 RBI and 11 SB. Keep in mind that the Majors play 22 more games than NPB. Plus, Iguchi is a gold glove defender.

I'm not saying Iguchi will be Jeter or Tejada, but let's ease off the Taguchi comparisons.

If I were a major league team—especially a club with one of the above starting shortstops—I'd take a shot at Iguchi. His 2001 stats, his defense—he is an absolute wizard with the glove—and the potential publicity make the risk worthwhile.

Well from what I have read on BaseballGuru, Iguchi has turned into a completely different hitter this season. From what I have read, he is hitting off-speed pitches with authority back up the middle and to the opposite field now, whereas he was a dead red fastball-oriented pull hitter his first few years.

If I were a stats-focused organization -- like the A's, Blue Jays, or Red Sox, for example -- I'd be wary of Iguchi. A lot of organizations are more tools focused, however, and he's always had those. Also keep in mind that his last two healthy seasons (he had a shoulder injury in 2002 that was severe enough to require surgery) have been his best by far, although this year still represents a substantial improvement over 2001.

I can never remember a player being blown up so high on this board with nothing to back it up. Folks are extrapolating power and hitting numbers based on what a true star player, Matsui, did in that league. This is like saying everyone who hit .300 in A ball will hit in the bigs because Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee did. I think this is nuts.

What do we know about Iguchi?

1. Ray King says he can't hit a fast ball.

2. The Red Sox worked him out but decided to sign Mark Bellhorn at 2.7 million instead.

3. The Yankee's , who have the history of identifying and signing a star player from Japan, passed him over to sign 34 year old Tony Womack at 2.0 million.

4. The Cardinals were rumored to be looking at him but opted for Mark Grudzielanek at 1.0 million.

I've never seen this guy play. But people who make their living evaluating talent, and have seen him, didn't sign him. That speaks much more to me than anything I have read on this board.

I have never seen this Japanese fellow play even one inning at the MLB level. Has anyone? I think we may be a tad too quick to assume he is a major upgrade on Harris. He might be a good addition to the team and then agin maybe not. Reading about his exploits in Japanese baseball is one thing, but assuming he will do the same thing in the USA is another. Plus I am believing that this talk of him being in Chicago is idle speculation. If we were to sign him I can only hope the Sox manageemnt has really done their homework on this guy because that's all we are going to have as assurance he is the real deal. I for one can't accept the Sox are real serious about going after T.I. because KW says Willie is set at 2B.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Tadahito would have a much better arm than Willie, and his range would probably be a little bit better. Not that I'm saying Willie's bad, I probably shouldn't have used the word major, but nevertheless, it's still an upgrade.

Yikes. That kind of post will get you into trouble. ;)

Everyone knows how I feel about Willie, but truth is, he has fantastic range. He has one of the weakest arms I have ever seen in the bigs...but he has fantastic range. I don't know if we can make a blanket statement about Iguchi's range as an improvement; that remains to be seen.

Yikes.  That kind of post will get you into trouble. ;)

Everyone knows how I feel about Willie, but truth is, he has fantastic range.  He has one of the weakest arms I have ever seen in the bigs...but he has fantastic range.  I don't know if we can make a blanket statement about Iguchi's range as an improvement; that remains to be seen.

Yep. Great range but a noodle arm.

Wow! It's the 5.85M/2yr + 3M/1yr that gives this credibility.

We know that Iggy earned 2.4M in Japan in 04. Considering 04 was one of his best yrs & he performed well in the post-season for his team you have to figure he was due for a raise. It's no where near the level of MLB so figure 20%. That put's him just under 6M pretty much in line with the CWS.

The other part that gives this credibility is his agent proposing 6M/2yr.

Combining the two & I think it's going to happen.

Iguchi is an upgrade over Harris. Of this there is no doubt.

I posted his splits in the other thread & Iguchi looks to be a solid hitting everyday player.

More importantly if Iggy succeeds he's a much more valuable marketing tool than Harris. It's just the whole asian connection thing. That will make him more tradeable if the Sox should find something better. This signing makes sense.

Sure there's the risk he doesn't pan out, but I think it's a reasonable risk.

What this team lacks is players with solid post-season success. Signing a guy who's bat has played a major role for his team when the games count the most addresses that.