it to be sort of a dull offseason.

Do you all agree?

(Hinrich is damn good for da Bulls)

I like our pitching staff now, hoping Marte comes up with a huge

year to close with Shingo.

I like the guy from Milwaukee and Dye if he's healthy, but I'll miss

Maggs.

I love the new catcher.

But I haven't been juiced enough to make many posts.

So I ask ... has this offseason been more dull than last or am

I frozen in the cold and without an original thought.

(Hinrich is a floor general deluxe)

p.s. Why is New England so good every year?

We need the next Wally Payton and next Frig and Ditka

to bring the Bears back.

Not at all. We didn't do much of anything to speak of last offseason. This offseason KW and Ozzie wanted to change the character of the team to be a team that had more of a balance. KW successfuly did that. There's no question that after this offseason, I'm more excited for the season to start than I have been in a while.

Let's see here. Last off-season. The Sox sign Shingo, Mike Jackson after losing Tub O' Goo Fartolo Colon and Flash Gordon.

This off-season. The Sox sign A.J Pierzynski, El Duque, Jermaine Dye and Dustin Hermanson. They trade Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik, Luis Vizcaino and Travis Hinton. They could just about be ready to sign Tadahito Iguchi or trade for Luis Castillo considering the Marlins may be very close to signing Delgado. I don't know how you could call it a dull off-season.

Good replies.

I told you it might be me having a frozen brain.

You have convinced me we have made many changes.

Bring on opening day and lets beat the pants off the crummy teams

this year like The Royals, Det and Cleve. We must dominate them if we

want to make some noise.

as much as this offseason was very active, and has changed the make up of the team. I still think that this is the season where we enter with the most question marks. The team is totally different, and we are heading in a different direction. Does anyone agree that there is a definite possibility of being really good, but also really really terrible.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
I think this was the best off season in years.  The Sox totally remade this team in a short period of time, without cutting payroll, while simultaniously getting all of their holes filled.

Now the job is restocking the minors.

All the minor-leaguers thrown into deals has drained the system a bit.

IF the Iguchi move is true, KW absolutely gets an A from me.

Like you said, he addressed all needs, bolstered the bullpen and did it within budget.

Meanwhile, Billy Beane was selling off his rotation....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
as much as this offseason was very active, and has changed the make up of the team.  I still think that this is the season where we enter with the most question marks.  The team is totally different, and we are heading in a different direction.  Does anyone agree that there is a definite possibility of being really good, but also really really terrible.

But in fairness, this can be said for most teams.

Injuries, etc. can cause many teams' seasons to fall down the crapper.

You can't get guys without question marks for "middle-market" money.

Kenny has done a GREAT job of getting good risk-to-return guys with the budget he was given.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
as much as this offseason was very active, and has changed the make up of the team.  I still think that this is the season where we enter with the most question marks.  The team is totally different, and we are heading in a different direction.  Does anyone agree that there is a definite possibility of being really good, but also really really terrible.

I don't think we'll be "really terrible" because our pitching looks to be so solid. At worse, we figure to be a .500 team. It could turn out to be a VERY good season, however. Considering what we have tried in the past, this is a good philosophy by the Sox management.

BTW ... Welcome to Soxtalk. :cheers

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Now the job is restocking the minors.

All the minor-leaguers thrown into deals has drained the system a bit.

IF the Iguchi move is true, KW absolutely gets an A from me.

Like you said, he addressed all needs, bolstered the bullpen and did it within budget.

Meanwhile, Billy Beane was selling off his rotation....

After the hatchetjob that KW got in Beane's book, you know that has to be in the back of Billy's mind...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
After the hatchetjob that KW got in Beane's book, you know that has to be in the back of Billy's mind...

What?! I doubt Beane gives Kenny any thought other than when he needs a trading partner (dupe). They are in a separate division, after all.

The A's will no doubtedly have a down year compared to their recent past but, while time will certainly tell, they appear to have re-stocked for another great run.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
I don't think we'll be "really terrible" because our pitching looks to be so solid.  At worse, we figure to be a .500 team.  It could turn out to be a VERY good season, however.  Considering what we have tried in the past, this is a good philosophy by the Sox management. 

BTW ... Welcome to Soxtalk.  :cheers

But you HAVE to admit, even the rotation has several holes that could open. Two cuban pitchers who are large question marks, as well as JG who never lives up to his potential. There is alot of chance for error