Complete The Sentence...

CWSGuy406

Sorry for such a lame late nite post, but I'm bored and this topic just popped right into my mind -- I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's ideas on the topic...

Well, here it is:

For the White Sox to have a World Title-type season, it is vital that __________ (from the offense), and __________ from the pitching staff, to have great seasons.

After much deliberation on both accounts, I figured that I'd put Frank Thomas for the offense -- because really, when he's on, it seems to spread to the whole team. If he's able to rebound from his injury fairly well, then I'd like to believe that we'll be in good shape.

And, for the pitching staff, I'll say Shingo. I figure that if Shingo is able to hold down the closers' role, and be able to come close to what he did for us last season, then Ozzie won't have to shake up the bullpen by putting guys in roles they aren't prepared for.

(For Cheat's sake, I wanted to put Timo Perez for the offense, and Jason Grilli for pitching, but I figured I'd spare him the time... :D )

Crede on offsense and Contreras Pitching.

If Crede doesn't produce i think he is gone and if he hits like he can he may be one of are best hitters.Contreras i think needs to pitch good because he could very well change the sox's season in my mind. It is very important he pitches good!

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)

If Crede doesnt prodcue i think he is gone and if he hits like he can he may be one of are best hitters.Contreras i think needs to pitch good because he could very well cahnge the sox's season in my mind. It is very important he pitches good!

i agree with this person. crede's been underachieving so if he achieved just think what could happen. same with contreras.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
:headshake

Josh, I like you as a poster, but you're awfully pessimistic sometimes. I think this is a cool idea for a thread.

I think Konerko needs to start where he left off in 2004 until Frank gets back. Frank will help the offense a lot when he gets back. He garners respect from the opposition and the pitchers on the other side have to pitch to the team differently.

I think El Duque needs to have a solid year on the mound. We know what we're getting from everyone else, like it or not. I think if El Duque is healthy and pitches like he can, it'll be interesting.

Offense: Pods. For him to be effective, he needs to get on base. If he gets on base....we become so much more dangerous.

Pitching: Either Contreras/Duque....one of them needs to stay healthy and perform well. If they both have one of their "shaky" years...our rotation is going to be just as shaky as it was in past years.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)

If Crede doesnt prodcue i think he is gone and if he hits like he can he may be one of are best hitters.Contreras i think needs to pitch good because he could very well change the sox's season in my mind. It is very important he pitches good!

Same here...i think Crede on offense and Contreras Pitching.

I'm going to shy away from the normal and state Dye for the offense and Garcia for the pitching, even though Contreras or Garland are the obvious choices for pitching, while a lot of players could be used for the offense.

Dye's still an unknown, and he will K over 100 times a season, that is a given. If he can step up and hit .280, 30 HR's and 100 RBI's, that would be just huge, and given us some much needed production.

Garcia will probably win about 15 games this season, that's a given. However, he's a flyball pitcher, and will probably struggle at the Cell, like Buerhle did last season. If he prove me wrong however, he could step up and win some more games, which could be crucial in the division race.

Sometimes, pictures of Freddie Garcia freak me out, like the one you use as your avatar. I sometimes think he's the Rock reincarnated into a baseball player. If a fight ever breaks out he needs to peoples elbow someone, or even better, he should start referring to himself as the Peoples Pitcher in media appearances. :bang

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
Offense=Pods

Pitching=Contreras

That's an easy one.

For the White Sox to have a World Title-type season, it is vital that EVERYBODY (from the offense), and EVERYBODY from the pitching staff have great seasons.

And you guys call yourselves baseball minds... :P

Seriously, I'll go predictable on offense and say if PK puts together another complete year that's going to the spark everybody else. And if Garland can put it together and get +-15 wins at the back of the rotation then the rest of the staff will relax and each of them can do their own thing and give the team a chance to win every night.

Offensively, Pods is the key. If he puts up a .340 OBP, our offense will be one of the more dangerous in the league, and if he can put up like a .370 or .380 OBP, I will go as far as saying pencil us into the ALDS.

Pitching wise, I think it is important for one of the 3-4-5's to step up and have a good year, be it Duque and staying healthy(because he will be good enough if he is), Contreras maintaining consistency throughout the year, or Garland becoming a decent pitcher.

I have my doubts for all 3 of those, with Duque being the most likely to occur. I also think that Contreras could very easily be a 12-15 win pitcher for us this year, even if he has a 4.50 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP like I think he will end up with. Garland I have no hope for...if he proves me wrong, that would be great, otherwise, I think this is his last year with us.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Sometimes, pictures of Freddie Garcia freak me out, like the one you use as your avatar.  I sometimes think he's the Rock reincarnated into a baseball player.  If a fight ever breaks out he needs to peoples elbow someone, or even better, he should start referring to himself as the Peoples Pitcher in media appearances. :bang

Sox43.jpg

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Offensively, Pods is the key.  If he puts up a .340 OBP, our offense will be one of the more dangerous in the league, and if he can put up like a .370 or .380 OBP, I will go as far as saying pencil us into the ALDS.

Pitching wise, I think it is important for one of the 3-4-5's to step up and have a good year, be it Duque and staying healthy(because he will be good enough if he is), Contreras maintaining consistency throughout the year, or Garland becoming a decent pitcher.

I have my doubts for all 3 of those, with Duque being the most likely to occur.  I also think that Contreras could very easily be a 12-15 win pitcher for us this year, even if he has a 4.50 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP like I think he will end up with.  Garland I have no hope for...if he proves me wrong, that would be great, otherwise, I think this is his last year with us.

You say Contreras might give us 12-15 wins, yet have no hope for Garland. I believe Jon gave us 12 wins last season, so he has proved he can do it. I don't understand the way some of you guys think sometimes.

Sometimes, pictures of Freddie Garcia freak me out, like the one you use as your avatar.  I sometimes think he's the Rock reincarnated into a baseball player.  If a fight ever breaks out he needs to peoples elbow someone, or even better, he should start referring to himself as the Peoples Pitcher in media appearances. :bang

Best Post Ever. The People's Pitcher, classic stuf right there. :notworthy

I love it.

Press conference prior to the Sox/Cubs game in which Garcia is slated to pitch:

Media : Freddie, do you know who you'll be pitching against in the...

Freddie : IT DOESN'T MATTER!#$! Because when that day comes...FINALLLLLLY, the Sox will have come back...to the biggest damn urinal in the world, Wrigley field. And when we head down to yuppie-ville, convienently located on the corner of the Cubs better know their damn role boulevard and jabronie drive, I'm gonna lay the smack down on ALL their roody-poo candy asses! Theres gonna be curveballs, fastballs, this ball and that ball...and the Cubs are gonna be chokin' on Sox balls, all...night...long! The peoples pitcher has spoken...if ya smelllllllllll-l-l-l-l-lahhh...what the SOX...are cookin'. :chair

Wow...I have too much time on my hands. :D :headbang

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
Best Post Ever. The People's Pitcher, classic stuf right there. :notworthy

Offense: Podsednik and Iguchi must be a strong 1 -2 in the order, getting on base, moving runners over, etc. The rest will take care of itself if those guys can provide baserunners/speed consistently at the top of the order.

Pitching: Garland. If he can be a 15 game winner from the #5 spot in the rotation it could turn this team from a 83 win team to a 93 win team very easily.

I think Freddy is the halfway point between Mark Buerhle and The Rock.

I got my pocket schedule and at first glance I wondered why Buerhle was wearing #34...and throwing right-handed..... :D