Ray King, Cardinal pitcher, on Iguchi

bjm676

King of Japan: Soon after the season ended, Ray King participated in MLB's All-Star tour of Japan, and he came away impressed with some of the opponents he faced.

"They've got a couple guys who could come over and do what Ichiro is doing in the game, if not better," King said. "We saw a little center fielder, we knew this guy was gonna bunt and we couldn't get him out. He'd get on first and we'd pitch out, did everything, and the guy still stole. I think there will be a lot more guys coming over from the Japanese league to the U.S. to play baseball."

King was less impressed with second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, who may come to the states this year. He suggested that while Iguchi may have success eventually, the second baseman could endure a significant adjustment period due to the greater velocity of many American pitchers' fastballs.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Wow, the stuff that comes out of Ray King's mouth during those infrequent moments when he's not chewing....

LOL!!! :cheers

Who's Ray King to talk about anyone...he's just mad he couldn't find any Double Whoppers in Japan

Has anyone bothered to look at the box scores of this seven game series. I have looked at all 7 games up and down and I don't see Iguchi's name in any of the games. Can anyone even confirm that he played against the MLB "All Stars" led by the mighty Ray King?

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
I don't know whetehr or not I'd agree with Ray King because I've never seen Gooch play, but don't insinuate Ray King can't pitch. He's better than Damaso Marte.

It's close but i would say marte is slightly better. Marte has a better k/9 ratio, better whip, better batting average against in their careers.

It's probably closer than I led on to be, but King's done it in the playoffs and was better this year thatn Marte, although Marte was better 2 years ago. I'd take Ray King over Damaso after seeing him a lot this year. Even so, the point (that I hope you would agree with) is that people saying King isn't a good pitcher are just ripping him becasue he is testing their blind loyalty.

How does ray King suck? He helped his team make the world sereis by becoming one of the premier left-handed set-up men in baseball last eyar as well as driving the clubhouse. Why do you think he's wrong? I don't know. Just because he has an opinion that is contrary to what you are hoping for doesn't mean he's wrong.

Who cares about Ray King's opinion? He apparently never even faced Iguchi because Iguchi was not even on Japan's team...

Japan All Star Series '04 Roster

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...nt=roster_japan

Ray King was listed as on the MLB team though...

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...tent=roster_mlb

Just goes to show that Ray King must not be very bright.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
How does ray King suck? He helped his team make the world sereis by becoming one of the premier left-handed set-up men in baseball last eyar as well as driving the clubhouse. Why do you think he's wrong? I don't know. Just because he has an opinion that is contrary to what you are hoping for doesn't mean he's wrong.

No, but King basing his opinion on Iguchi's ability or future on a five or seven game exhibition series - is ill-informed and premature.

Kind of like if someone based their opinion of Ray King on the time he spent with the Cubs, which was forgettable at best.

EDITED to laugh hysterically if King was yapping about someone who wasn't even on the team....