Maggs Update; Tigers are Close

joeynach

This is from rotoworld.

The Tigers and agent Scott Boras continued to discuss Magglio Ordonez yesterday. The two sides are close on dollars, the Detroit Free Press reports.

While the salary might be right -- $11 million-$12 million per seasons -- the years still aren't. Boras wants seven and the Tigers are offering five. With the Sammy Sosa acquisition taking the Orioles out of the mix and the Rangers' interest cooling, five years could be enough. The Cubs could choose to get involved with Sosa out of the way, but indications are that they're going in a different direction.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
This is from rotoworld.

The Tigers and agent Scott Boras continued to discuss Magglio Ordonez yesterday. The two sides are close on dollars, the Detroit Free Press reports.

While the salary might be right -- $11 million-$12 million per seasons -- the years still aren't. Boras wants seven and the Tigers are offering five. With the Sammy Sosa acquisition taking the Orioles out of the mix and the Rangers' interest cooling, five years could be enough. The Cubs could choose to get involved with Sosa out of the way, but indications are that they're going in a different direction.

The Tigers are fools.

QUOTE(SoIL @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
The Tigers are fools.

Yup, that's a lot of money for a guy with huge question marks to his health. Eleven million for a healthy maggs might even be a bit of a stretch but that's probably around what he's worth when healthy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Maggs will have to pass a physical. If he's 85% to 100%, some team is getting a bargain.

In fair evalutation of Maggs talent with money 11 million is good enough. From what he thinks he's worth which is what 14 mil? Then yes he comes a little cheap, they just better hope he performs or they'll be stuck with Higginson pt 2.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Maggs will have to pass a physical. If he's 85% to 100%, some team is getting a bargain.

How's 11-12 mill for 5 years a bargain??? Maggs is a great player but even when healthy I think maggs is worth 10-11 mill and 5 years is an awful lost of year, I just don't see how that can possibly be a bargain.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Yup, that's a lot of money for a guy with huge question marks to his health.  Eleven million for a healthy maggs might even be a bit of a stretch but that's probably around what he's worth when healthy.

I imagine there is an out clause for the Tigers. Last year they signed IRod despite his back problems. The deal includes a clause where "The team can terminate his contract after two seasons if a spinal injury in his lower back causes him to go on the disabled list for 35 consecutive days or longer in 2004 or 2005. If he misses 35 or more days on the DL with a lumbar spine injury the following year, the Tigers can terminate his contract after 2006." That deal was also made with Scott Boras.

The Tigers seem to be developing a method for signing torn up star players while limiting the risk. No other players seem to want to go there.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
How's 11-12 mill for 5 years a bargain???  Maggs is a great player but even when healthy I think maggs is worth 10-11 mill and 5 years is an awful lost of year, I just don't see how that can possibly be a bargain.

Last 5 full seasons

30+ Home Runs

.300 + Average

100+ RBI

$11,000,000 name another guy with that offense that will sign for less in any of the next 5 or 6 years.

If Maggs is healthy, the Tigers have their face of the organization locked up for 5 years.

If not, they took a big risk and came up short; thus, the nature of the Detroit Tigers. If you want big namem players to come to Detroit, you have to either sign them to stupid contracts, or catch them on the downside of their career.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
Last 5 full seasons

30+ Home Runs

.300 + Average

100+ RBI

$11,000,000 name another guy with that offense that will sign for less in any of the next  5 or 6 years.

There are quite a few players last year who put up those type of numbers making under 11 mill per year. Your right, that maggs does have the consistancy thing going for him, like I said 11 mill seems like a fair price for a healthy maggs, I just don't see how it's a bargain.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
If healthy, it is a nice deal. I would take a healthy Maggs over comparable salaries like Garrett Anderson and JD Drew.

Health aside (and it's been more of an issue with Drew), I'd take Drew over Maggs. Anderson and Maggs are pretty close.

If healthy is really the key here. Maggs will never be the same. Not with all those surgeries and special Austria treatment. he will now be prone to injury, tweaking. He will be a bit slower and is not worth it period. If he was then many other teams would be stepping up. They are not. Its just not the best thing for the tigers. Once that severly injured you will not be a premier type guy anymore.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
There are quite a few players last year who put up those type of numbers making under 11 mill per year.  Your right, that maggs does have the consistancy thing going for him, like I said 11 mill seems like a fair price for a healthy maggs, I just don't see how it's a bargain.

Name them.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Name them.

Pujols, Dunn, Edmonds, Rolen, Tejada, Ortiz, Konerko, Lee, Alou, Cabrera, Blalock, Drew, Matsui, Abreu, Berkman, Huff.

Now, not all of these guys put up .300, 30 and 100 but some did more in the power numbers and less in their ba. Those guys atleast have comparable type of numbers from last year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Pujols, Dunn, Edmonds, Rolen, Tejada, Ortiz, Konerko, Lee, Alou, Cabrera, Blalock, Drew, Matsui, Abreu, Berkman, Huff.

Now, not all of these guys put up .300, 30 and 100 but some did more in the power numbers and less in their ba.  Those guys atleast have comparable type of numbers from last year.

And guys that have done it 5 or so times like Maggs, what do they get paid? You need to erase a few of the players you mentioned. They make more than 11 million a year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
There are quite a few players last year who put up those type of numbers making under 11 mill per year.  Your right, that maggs does have the consistancy thing going for him, like I said 11 mill seems like a fair price for a healthy maggs, I just don't see how it's a bargain.

The key is name a player who has put up those numbers *then* signed a contract for less. Of course you have guys who are new, signing their first contract, then reach stardom.