Maggs Update; Tigers are Close

joeynach

ANy team that gives ANY player a 7 year deal are fools. THere are so many things that can happen in a 7 year stretch (injury, salary cap, decline in production). If I am a team and a client demands a 7 year deal, it is a 4 or 5 year deal with team options for the remaining years of the contract.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
ANy team that gives ANY player a 7 year deal are fools. THere are so many things that can happen in a 7 year stretch (injury, salary cap, decline in production). If I am a team and a client demands a 7 year deal, it is a 4 or 5 year deal with team options for the remaining years of the contract.

So you wouldn't want a player wanting to show his loyalty and sign a career type contract?

QUOTE(AstralSox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Don't think this is over people.  Expect more bidders to show up in the next couple days.  I doubt Boras would only take one bid and run with it, he's far too greedy.  I don't think he'll be signed 'til late next week...maybe even longer.

If the rumors are true, no one will top the tigers offer.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
If Maggs is healthy, the Tigers have their face of the organization locked up for 5 years.

If not, they took a big risk and came up short; thus, the nature of the Detroit Tigers.  If you want big namem players to come to Detroit, you have to either sign them to stupid contracts, or catch them on the downside of their career.

Do not underestimate the Detroit Tigers. I know they have sucked for as long as some of you can remember. But, this is a once-proud franchise that is working it's way back to being a proud franchise again. Trammal, Gibson and Parish are running the show over there now and if you saw how these guys played the game, you'd know the Tigers will be back. And they will. Book it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Do not underestimate the Detroit Tigers.  I know they have sucked for as long as some of you can remember.  But, this is a once-proud franchise that is working it's way back to being a proud franchise again.  Trammal, Gibson and Parish are running the show over there now and if you saw how these guys played the game, you'd know the Tigers will be back.  And they will.  Book it.

They got a long way to go.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
They got a long way to go.

They are also doing it the right way. In my opinion, the Tigers are the one team that taking this gamble with Ordonez makes any sense. They are pushing by going 5 years. Three would be perfect, but I guess it's not possible.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
I know I would rather have maggs go to the tigers than the cubs.  In fact with the trade of sosa and if maggs signs with the tigers, it leaves the cubs out in the cold, which is better than nothing.

Get outta here, how many times do you want to give him the chance to wreck us. I dislike the cubs just as much as the next guy, but I could give a s*** whether they're good or not, as long as the Sox are doing good. I heard a sports radio guy talking, don't remember who, about how some Sox fans want the Cubs to lose more than they want the Sox to win. I said that was bulls***, but obviously there are some of them out there.

I don't really care too much if Maggs goes to Detroit or not. I would hate for him to be with the Cubs. If Ordoñez went to the Northsiders, he would be seen as a traitor. I like him too much for this to happen. I sure hope he gets to go to Detroit, or better yet--the Rangers.

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
I don't really care too much if Maggs goes to Detroit or not. I would hate for him to be with the Cubs. If Ordoñez went to the Northsiders, he would be seen as a traitor. I like him too much for this to happen. I sure hope he gets to go to Detroit, or better yet--the Rangers.

Welcome to soxtalk.

:snr

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)

Welcome :usa

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Sorry Hanky, but thats the WRONG way to think. You and I both know a healthy Maggs can be a monster. So your saying you would rather Maggs go to Detriot for the next 7 years and play us 19 times a year, then go to the Northside who we play 3 times a year???? :huh

If he's healthy. That's one spacious outfield if he's not, not to mention the offense he'll lose by being there. Very good player, but I'm indifferent to whereever he goes. The Sox will be fine either way. Remember, Detroit can beat up on the Twins as well.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Well good for the Tigers I guess. Not smart in paying him that much, but whatever. Kinda funny how Maggs was once fighting with them in that epic brawl. I hardly any players are still on either team though.

WilliamTell....I think Detroit still has Bobby Higginson???? White Sox still have a few players that were there for the Big Brawl :fight Frank Thomas at least. Who else???? Konerko???? You got me interested in this now.

If Maggs can get his money, good for him. But I can't possibly see him putting up the same numbers he had at the Cell, in comparison to Comerica. Alot of homeruns he hit are going to become warning track outs unless he smacks the hell out of the ball. Plus, will his knee hold up with having to cover additional ground in Detroit.

Magg's power numbers will definitely decrease, but I wouldn't be suprised if his average stayed the same and increase just a little. Detroit's a team that doesn't have the good young potential players in the minors like a Cleveland, so they can't stand still and do nothing if they want to improve. They wanted Steve Finley originally, but missed out on him, and they might just release Bobby Higginson, if they sign Maggs, and leave Craig Monroe as the 4th OF.

Listening to WMVP this morning, Bruce Levine who is wrong 90% of the time said the detriot contract was a sham. He said Boras floated that out there and that only two years of the contract are guarenteed which we all knew. Anyway, Bruce also said that the Cubs are looking at maggs workout this week and if good will be prepared to offer a 1 or 2 year deal at the most. anyway this was the big update from levine.

QUOTE(RNemz43 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
where would you guys rather see maggs go? to the cubs or the tigers? i know we play the tigers 19 times, but im not sure if id be able to stand it if maggs went to the cubs and had a great year.

Cubs most definately. Sorry guys I don't hate the Cubs the way most Sox fans do. I wish them the best of luck next year and I hope they do sign Maggs. Until we face them in the Series or the 6 games during the season, I could care less what happens with them. :headshake

One thing everyone fails to realize is Maggs will be hitting in a pitchers ballpark if he signs with the Tigers. As well, he will not fave the Tigers pitching 18-19 times in the year. US Cellular field is a hitters ballpark. Maggs numbers may drop if he is with the Tigers next year.

I think the other thing people forget is Maggs is hurt and will not be the same player he once was....ever. We got his best years, at a nice price. Cubs will only get him if he accepts a 1 or at most a 2 year deal. He should stay in the A - league so he can DH. 162 games in the field on a beat up leg could be tough.

Ok here is the latest on the Mets Entering the fray. Don't shoot the messenger.

Ny media (660 the fan- Mets baseball host Ed Coleman) has just announced that Mets GM Omar Minaya has his eyes set on Magglio and will outbid any team to get him. He (coleman) feels that Magglio's relationship with ex Whitesox manager, Manuel, whom he had an excellent relationship with will help in the recruiting. The Fan is saying that the Mets are now the heavy favorties to land Magglio Ordonez

Coleman said that the Mets GM has had his eyes set on Ordonez since he got the job.

Mets GM is going to see the workout this week with teams doctors.

Coleman also said that the Mets have the money to outbid Detroit. He also said that the Cubs and Rangers were not going to be serious players for Maggs.

Last thing he stated was that Mets GM said to him that he would be willing to go 12 mil a year gauranteed with incentives that could take the contract to as high as 14-15 mil a year but will only be willing to go 5 years max.