Maggs Update; Tigers are Close

joeynach

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down for yes. They got it done with Pudge (which was a surprise to most) & I think they'll get it done here. They'll pony up the 5th year as a player-team option based on ab's the previous 4 yrs.

From a Sox fan's perspective there's more sweet than sour. The sour is we have to pitch against him. The sweet is he can help the Tigs beat our biggest 05 rivals (Cle, Min). Staying in the div means we can keep a close eye on his progress. There's no need to hate him. We knew from the moment he became a BorASS client he was a short-timer.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
Put me down for yes.  They got it done with Pudge (which was a surprise to most) & I think they'll get it done here.  They'll pony up the 5th year as a player-team option based on ab's the previous 4 yrs.

From a Sox fan's perspective there's more sweet than sour.  The sour is we have to pitch against him.  The sweet is he can help the Tigs beat our biggest 05 rivals (Cle, Min). Staying in the div means we can keep a close eye on his progress.  There's no need to hate him.  We knew from the moment he became a BorASS client he was a short-timer.

you could be right! The score is reporting that the Cubs will sign burnitz as early as tommorrow. There you go. Eat s*** Boras.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Put me down for yes.  They got it done with Pudge (which was a surprise to most) & I think they'll get it done here.  They'll pony up the 5th year as a player-team option based on ab's the previous 4 yrs.

From a Sox fan's perspective there's more sweet than sour.  The sour is we have to pitch against him.  The sweet is he can help the Tigs beat our biggest 05 rivals (Cle, Min). Staying in the div means we can keep a close eye on his progress.  There's no need to hate him.  We knew from the moment he became a BorASS client he was a short-timer.

Everything I have heard here in Michigan is that the Tigers are close, and they want to put clauses in the contract concerning his injury, a la what they did with IRod. I believe it has been mentioned here, but that is what I've seen locally on television and in the papers.

I wore my Mags shirt today, and Tigers fans made sure I knew about it. I don't hate him though. He will always be a player who I cheer for. I think of him the same way I think of girls when I am in a fight...I am just in a little fight with Mags. :lol:

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Ok here is the latest on the Mets Entering the fray. Don't shoot the messenger.

Ny media (660 the fan- Mets baseball host Ed Coleman) has just announced that Mets GM Omar Minaya has his eyes set on Magglio and will outbid any team to get him. He (coleman) feels that Magglio's relationship with ex Whitesox manager, Manuel, whom he had an excellent relationship with will help in the recruiting. The Fan is saying that the Mets are now the heavy favorties to land Magglio Ordonez

Coleman said that the Mets GM has had his eyes set on Ordonez since he got the job.

Mets GM is going to see the workout this week with teams doctors.

Coleman also said that the Mets have the money to outbid Detroit. He also said that the Cubs and Rangers were not going to be serious players for Maggs.

Last thing he stated was that Mets GM said to him that he would be willing to go 12 mil a year gauranteed with incentives that could take the contract to as high as 14-15 mil a year but will only be willing to go 5 years max.

This now from todays Detriot free Press. kind of supports what I stated above over the weekend.

That would appear to leave the Cubs as the Tigers' main rival, with the New York Mets a possibility -- especially if they can free up some salary through a trade. "I think the Mets are about to get knee-deep in this thing now," a source familiar with the situation said Monday.

WGN Radio is currently reporting that the Cubs offered Maggs a 2 year 20 million contract tonight. Burnitz will be signed after Sosa signs his contract.

Any time the Mets are ready to make their move, that'd be just fine with me.

It would not shock me that somehow Boras takes the Cubs offer and paints it as the best possible situation for Ordonez.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
Any time the Mets are ready to make their move, that'd be just fine with me.

It would not shock me that somehow Boras takes the Cubs offer and paints it as the best possible situation for Ordonez.

jim,nobody else has reported this, it was on the sportscenter show with Dave Kaplan and tom waddle. If its true you would think the srore or ESPN would have picked this up tonight. who knows.lets hope the Mets dive in tonight!

jim,nobody else has reported this, it was on the sportscenter show with Dave Kaplan and tom waddle. If its true you would think the srore or ESPN would have picked this up tonight. who knows.lets hope the Mets dive in tonight!

You may be right, here is my take. WGN is pretty damned connected to all things Cub.

If it's two years $20M guaranteed we have a problem. That may supercede a Detroit offer which may be longer in years but has multiple strings attached ala the Ivan Rodriguez deal.

Plus we know Ordonez supposedly wants to play in Chicago ... on his own terms.

As for the Mets, they are known to dive in hard and fast but they still have a very crowded OF situation, seems they cannot move either Cameron or Floyd. It's possible they move Cameron later but let's remember he is pricey too which limits his possible destinations.

This is starting to fall in line, in a manner I don't like. Cubs free up $$ from Sosa even though they have to pay a big chunk. Spend some on Burnitz, there's still some left over apparantly or the Trib Tower authorized more payroll.

I have the Ordonez bobble heads out, ready to drill with my bat.

Again I do not like the way this is moving.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 03:37 AM)
You may be right, here is my take.  WGN is pretty damned connected to all things Cub.

If it's two years $20M guaranteed we have a problem.  That may supercede a Detroit offer which may be longer in years but has multiple strings attached ala the Ivan Rodriguez deal.

Plus we know Ordonez supposedly wants to play in Chicago ... on his own terms.

As for the Mets, they are known to dive in hard and fast but they still have a very crowded OF situation, seems they cannot move either Cameron or Floyd.  It's possible they move Cameron later but let's remember he is pricey too which limits his possible destinations.

This is starting to fall in line, in a manner I don't like.  Cubs free up $$ from Sosa even though they have to pay a big chunk.  Spend some on Burnitz, there's still some left over apparantly or the Trib Tower authorized more payroll.

I have the Ordonez bobble heads out, ready to drill with my bat.

Again I do not like the way this is moving.

Until I hear from another source, there is still a chance. I turned on wgn by accident as I thought it was the score. started listening and walla its there. then started scanning other stations and the internet and nothing, so who knows.

I've seen this scenario coming for awhile... The Cubs failed in getting a closer and a legitimate top of the order hitter (i know Harriston is an upgrade, but not a proven year in, year out top of the order hitter). So they are going to sign Maggs because it will make a huge media splash in Chicago and overshadow some of their problem areas. You will see Mariotti and all the TV news stations portray the Sox as bad guys, while failing to mention the impossible situation the Sox were put in by the arbitration system and never having access to Magg's updated medical files.

Think about it... most of the Cubs fans I know will go crazy over the signing, they know very little to nothing about the Major league arbitration system or the fact that Maggs health is highly questionable... look at Nomar from last year... he came to this town hurt playing at about 80%, but it was a big name and the Cubs fans ate it up.

This is why Boras is a great agent... he may be evil, but he gets the job done... Maggs hasn't worked out for anybody, but he's getting offers from 2 teams (Det. and ChiC) with the Mets possibly offering.

Here's my take. The Cubs are putting out this bogus offer because they want the fans to think they tried to do better than Burnitz. They either know that Maggs won't accept the weak offer or never even made the offer specified. All evidence points to the Cubs signing Burnitz and having an outfield of Hairston in LF, Patterson in LF, and Burnitz in RF.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Burnitz decided yesterday to accept an offer from the Chicago Cubs for one year worth $5 million, plus a mutual option year that could bring the package to $11.5 million. The Pirates' final offer, made late Monday, was for one year in the range of $4.25 million.

The Burnitz agreement will not be official until Major League Baseball approves the Cubs' trade of outfielder Sammy Sosa to the Baltimore Orioles. That is expected today or tomorrow, pending Sosa passing a physical.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

The Chicago Cubs came up with the right money and the right opportunity at the right time and have snagged free agent slugging outfielder Jeromy Burnitz away from the Pirates.

Once Chicago trades Sammy Sosa to the Baltimore Orioles -- a transaction that could be completed today -- the Cubs will announce the signing of Burnitz to a one-year contract with a club option for 2006.

The Cubs outbid the Pirates by giving Burnitz a guaranteed $5 million. He will make $4.5 million this season and get a $500,000 buyout for 2006 if the Cubs decline a $7 million option.

040500burnitz.jpg