ESPN's Rob Neyer's Top Ten LEAST improved teams

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(AirScott @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
you got to remember that Podsednik isn't replacing Lee, he's really replacing Harris.  the low .300 OBP is bad, but the 70 steals is good, and he'll score some runs.  I'm optimistic about Everett, they say he's in great shape and Dye should be healed.  losing Jose Valentin is the biggest addition by subtraction there ever was.  seriously, he was a low .200s hitter that couldn't field and hit 30 HRs in a home run park.

Interesting angle. Where are all these new people coming from? Have fun this is a great site.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AirScott @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
you got to remember that Podsednik isn't replacing Lee, he's really replacing Harris.  the low .300 OBP is bad, but the 70 steals is good, and he'll score some runs.  I'm optimistic about Everett, they say he's in great shape and Dye should be healed.  losing Jose Valentin is the biggest addition by subtraction there ever was.  seriously, he was a low .200s hitter that couldn't field and hit 30 HRs in a home run park.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather have Podsednik steal 40 bases and have a .360 OBP than steal 70 bases and have a .330 OBP...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
Quick, I know I'm a little late on this -- and I'm pretty sure you'll disagree on this with me, but I'm pretty confident that Diaz can fill in for a short period of time and spot start.

He's proven everything he can at AAA, he's right on the edge as far as becoming a fifth starter in the MLB.

I know a lot of people like him, I personally don't. He better not be the best we have if we are making a run for the division. We fell short last year because of injury and the number 5 slot. Although we have a better 1-5 if injury occurs we could be in trouble again. The very last thing I want to see is Diaz pitching against the cubs again at wrigley. people have now seen him pitch. Word is getting out that he has two pitches, both straight. Anyway, my point is to bring in a few more arms to minor league contracts in case something happens. Surely that would not be a bad thing.

QUOTE(quickman @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
I know a lot of people like him, I personally don't. He better not be the best we have if we are making a run for the division. We fell short last year because of injury and the number 5 slot. Although we have a better 1-5 if injury occurs we could be in trouble again. The very last thing I want to see is Diaz pitching against the cubs again at wrigley. people have now seen him pitch. Word is getting out that he has two pitches, both straight. Anyway, my point is to bring in a few more arms to minor league contracts in case something happens.  Surely that would not be a bad thing.

Still, though...

If his pitches were so straight, wouldn't he have gotten lit up in AAA too? I'm not trying to compare the majors to AAA, but would Felix have gotten hit a little harder at Charlotte? I mean -- his K/BB ratio was sick -- and in a good size of starts, too.

I'll just say this. I realize his stuff isn't as electric as one would like. But -- he has good control. And I know that didn't show that in the majors, but he's got control. When you're able to spot a 91 MPH fastball where you want it, that's a huge difference. He also has a real good changeup, too. If a guy can spot his low-90s fastball, as well as change speeds good enough on his change (which is what I happen to believe Felix did at Charlotte), he can start...

And Jim, I know you said he doesn't like to throw inside. I know this isn't going to really represent my argument well, because I'm basically picking-and-choosing what backs up my argument -- but -- I was the Oakland game sometime in late August, early September. IIRC, Felix got hit pretty hard the first three innings. And then -- for God-knows what happened, but something clicked. I commented to my brother about it, but he was throwing up and in, backing the hitters off the plate, throwing low and away, and hitters started looking silly up there. I saw a totally different pitcher up there, one throwing with confidence, one throwing really, really well. And, I was in the LF/CF bleachers, so I had a real good look at his pitch location.

I'm not saying Felix is going to end up amounting to an ace or even a two in this league, but honest to God, I believe the kid can be a good three/four -- and I'd tell you that if I was looking you straight in the eyes, believe it or not...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 04:06 AM)
Still, though...

If his pitches were so straight, wouldn't he have gotten lit up in AAA too?  I'm not trying to compare the majors to AAA, but would Felix have gotten hit a little harder at Charlotte?  I mean -- his K/BB ratio was sick -- and in a good size of starts, too. 

I'll just say this.  I realize his stuff isn't as electric as one would like.  But -- he has good control.  And I know that didn't show that in the majors, but he's got control.  When you're able to spot a 91 MPH fastball where you want it, that's a huge difference.  He also has a real good changeup, too.  If a guy can spot his low-90s fastball, as well as change speeds good enough on his change (which is what I happen to believe Felix did at Charlotte), he can start...

And Jim, I know you said he doesn't like to throw inside.  I know this isn't going to really represent my argument well, because I'm basically picking-and-choosing what backs up my argument  -- but -- I was the Oakland game sometime in late August, early September.  IIRC, Felix got hit pretty hard the first three innings.  And then -- for God-knows what happened, but something clicked.  I commented to my brother about it, but he was throwing up and in, backing the hitters off the plate, throwing low and away, and hitters started looking silly up there.  I saw a totally different pitcher up there, one throwing with confidence, one throwing really, really well.  And, I was in the LF/CF bleachers, so I had a real good look at his pitch location.

I'm not saying Felix is going to end up amounting to an ace or even a two in this league, but honest to God, I believe the kid can be a good three/four -- and I'd tell you that if I was looking you straight in the eyes, believe it or not...

you present good points, and I am sure he is in the mix. get more arms they drop like flies. We will see on Diaz. i am not impressed by him, The more people see him the more they will catch him. Anyway, lets see how this plays out. Stick to your guns, you like the guy and you make some good points. Nice feedback.

of couse I'd want Pods to have a higher OBP if he steals less bases, but Podsednik is still unproven. he'll probably find a middle ground between his 2004 season with a .244 average, .313 OBP and 70 steals and his 2003 .314 average, .379 OBP and 43 steals (and yes, I looked that up).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
Still, though...

If his pitches were so straight, wouldn't he have gotten lit up in AAA too?  I'm not trying to compare the majors to AAA, but would Felix have gotten hit a little harder at Charlotte?  I mean -- his K/BB ratio was sick -- and in a good size of starts, too. 

I'll just say this.  I realize his stuff isn't as electric as one would like.  But -- he has good control.  And I know that didn't show that in the majors, but he's got control.  When you're able to spot a 91 MPH fastball where you want it, that's a huge difference.  He also has a real good changeup, too.  If a guy can spot his low-90s fastball, as well as change speeds good enough on his change (which is what I happen to believe Felix did at Charlotte), he can start...

And Jim, I know you said he doesn't like to throw inside.  I know this isn't going to really represent my argument well, because I'm basically picking-and-choosing what backs up my argument  -- but -- I was the Oakland game sometime in late August, early September.  IIRC, Felix got hit pretty hard the first three innings.  And then -- for God-knows what happened, but something clicked.  I commented to my brother about it, but he was throwing up and in, backing the hitters off the plate, throwing low and away, and hitters started looking silly up there.  I saw a totally different pitcher up there, one throwing with confidence, one throwing really, really well.  And, I was in the LF/CF bleachers, so I had a real good look at his pitch location.

Keith, you make some very good points, I'll say I agree with some and I disagree with some. Like I said the thing that bothers me the most about Felix is how straight his pitches are. You brought up how good is changeup was, he hung that pitch a lot while up in the bigs--maybe because of nerves, maybe he was just overthrowing causing him to hang it a bit more then he normally does. Felix obviously has good control although he didn't display it in the majors. His fastball is so straight that he's going to have to be absolute pin point to be successful in this thing and you know what he's proven in the minors that he could be. I think eventually he'll turn into a decent number 5 pitcher once he relaxes a bit and gets that control back that he displayed in the minor leagues, jmo.

Gee...once again the Sox get no respect or credit from the boys in Bristol??? What a shock. No surprise here but let's hope Ozzie can use slights like this to motivate his boys into a great year.

juddling

ps--if you click on link and go to bottom of article..talking about the Devil Rays Nyer had one good line...

"There is always a chance that Hideo Nomo will make another comback , or that Roberto Alomarsuddenly remembers-hey, I used to be a future Hall of Famer"

:lolhitting :drink :lolhitting :snow

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team?categoryId=71590

Carl Everett:

- dropped 15 pounds

- power switch hitter

- above avg speed

= huge plus for the White Sox

Iguchi:

- should be the perfect No. 2 hitter

- like Ichiro he's a solid contact hitter (finds the gaps) .

= combo of Pods + Iggy is one of the fastest 1-2 punches in the MLs

OF overhaul:

- A minor drop in power in exchange for speed & exceptional defensive cohesiveness.

- Pods is dedicated to being a true leadoff hitter

- Rowand looks to be capable of 300A/30HR/30SB

- A healthy Dye could be a solid run producer in the middle.

- Timo Perez top RISP hitter for Sox in '04.

- Ross Gload's a strong LH at bat

TSN apparently likes our moves :)

In Rob Neyer's Mailbag this week, he admits the mistake he made about Jermaine Dye (sort of, he throws his source under the bus). And says to take the Sox off the list and replace them with the Reds or the Phillies. It's an insider article, so your going to have to get bugmenot or go to the lite version, if there is one. Here's the link for Insider members

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1984248

http://lite.espn.go.com/mlb/columnist?id=1984248

Following up on another column, just as I was overwhelmed with e-mail about Dwight Evans, earlier this week I was overwhelmed with e-mail about Jermaine Dye. As in, "How could you write about the White Sox's offseason moves and not mention Jermaine Dye?"

Guilty as charged. My source for offseason moves left something to be desired (which is the source's fault) and I didn't take the time to double-check (which of course was my fault). I'm still not convinced the White Sox got much better this winter, but signing Jermaine Dye probably does remove them from the "10 Teams That Did the Least to Help Themselves" list. So if you're a White Sox fan, feel free to replace them with the Reds or the Phillies.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I love democracy!  http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8127614?alcentral12805

We're #1!  Amongst the voters!  Nearly 33% voted the WhiteSox as having the best off-season. About 9% better than the Twins.

Wow, that makes me feel so much better about our team. We are 9% ahead of a team whose most expensive signing(from outside the organization of course) was Juan Castro.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
and you guys think ESPN doesn't like us....

Check out these headlines...

Crasnick: Big Unknown for A's

Neyers: A's won't make the grade

Karabel: A's Overrated

All running on the same day...

And I think all 3 are wrong.

They have a lot of question marks, but for the most part, and actually pretty solid all around. Their pen is deep, and their lineup has some pretty solid hitters all around(Kotsay, Kendall, Durazo, Hatteberg, Chavez, Byrnes, Thomas, Crosby...you look, and they are quite solid offensively)...if Haren, Myers, and Blanton can all put up 4.50 ERA's or in the whereabouts, they have as good a shot at that division as any team. Hell, I can't even think of the favorite to win that division right now. That division has gone from being top dog to being about as good as the AL Central(if not worse) very fast.