Blue Jays no longer play in the Skydome

CSF

From MLB.com:

02/02/2005 11:00 AM ET

Blue Jays' home is Rogers Centre

Ownership changes name of former SkyDome

By Spencer Fordin / MLB.com

TORONTO -- The company that owns the Blue Jays changed the name of the team's stadium on Wednesday, opting for Rogers Centre instead of the former SkyDome title.

Rogers Communications Inc. recently purchased the stadium for approximately $25 million in Canadian funds, adding the domed stadium to the company's standing ownership of the Jays and their flagship station on both television and radio. The name change was rumored from the outset of the deal, which was announced in late November.

Paul Godfrey, the team's president and CEO, promised extensive changes to the stadium from the moment of the sale. Wednesday's press conference included an announcement that improvements will be made at the facility, including a new playing surface and the installation of new video displays and a detailed out-of-town scoreboard.

Some of those improvements are already in progress and will likely be unveiled before the season begins. The former SkyDome will turn 16 years old during the season, and Godfrey remembers when it was just a vision and a down payment.

"When I was the chairman of Metropolitan Toronto in February 1984, I know Metro Toronto put in the first $30 million. If someone had told me then, the price for the total building would be cheaper than the first down payment, one would have been a little amazed," he said at the time of the purchase.

"If I was to roll back the clock, I would have advised Mr. Rogers not to buy the team unless he owned the facility. In order to control the experience, you should be in control of both."

Spencer Fordin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Though I'm pretty used to calling our stadium the Cell now, I feel that everyone will still call this the Sky Dome, like a lot still call our's Comiskey.

Most people probably won't even know that they changed the name, just think about where the Rangers play their baseball " the Ballpark in Arlington" right. No. They changed the name last year to "Ameriquest Field in Arlington" I bet you most people don't even know the Rangers changed the name of the field, and it will pobably be the same way with the Blue Jays.

That article missed the actual news that came out of Toronto today.

Owner Ted Rogers also pledged more money for players - $210 million US over three years.

"That represents about a 40 per cent increase on the payroll in the past year," the communications mogul told a news conference Wednesday.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=113531