Magglio contract breakdown

Mr. Showtime

I gotta see if Boras will come represent me when I talk to my boss for a raise... :D

Ordonez's deal could be worth up to $105 million over seven seasons, the source told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity. New York Newsday, which first reported the agreement, indicated the deal could be announced Monday.

Under the complicated deal, Detroit would have the right to void the contract after the 2005 season if Ordonez has a reoccurrence of the left knee injury that hampered his production with the Chicago White Sox for most of last year and the reoccurrence lands him on the disabled list for 25 days or more.

The 31-year-old Ordonez gets a $6 million signing bonus and a $6 million salary in 2005, meaning the Tigers' exposure is $12 million.

His contract calls for a $15 million salary in 2006, $12 million in 2007, $15 million in 2008 and $18 million in 2009. Detroit has a $15 million option for 2010 with a $3 million buyout and a $15 million option for 2011 with no buyout.

In addition, Ordonez's salary in each of the option years would become guaranteed if he has 135 starts or 540 plate appearances in the previous season or 270 starts or 1,080 plate appearances in the previous two seasons. If his 2010 salary becomes guaranteed under this provision, it would be at $18 million. The 2011 salary would be $15 million.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
So basically if he's healthy, the Tiggies are stuck with him until he's 37. Bora$$ does it again.

This could actually ruin his career if he is dumb. If he tries to play through that pain, it will get worse and not better over time.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
This could actually ruin his career if he is dumb.  If he tries to play through that pain, it will get worse and not better over time.

That's why I'm suprised it's not more like the J.D Drew deal where there's an out clause after 2 seasons not 1 if he's not healthy.

I have two big questions about his stint with the Tigers

1. What is the deffered (SP?) money situation?

-this was a major bone of contention that Maggs had with the Sox last offer

-although it turns out Beltran's contract with the Mets has a lot of deffered money, more than the Sox offer to Maggs

2. Is there any talk of him playing substantial DH this season?

-whether he's healthy now or not he's coming off a major injury which isn't very common

-Comerica Park has HUGE outfields, and I imagine it's going to be hard for him to cover that right field 5-6 games a week.

3. (Bonus question) when do Cub fans start saying the Cubs were never very interested in Maggs and start downgrading him as a player (much like they did with Beltran)?

-actually I'm going to go hang out with my friend the Hawk who is a big Cubs fan, so I'll see if it started already

3.  (Bonus question) when do Cub fans start saying the Cubs were never very interested in Maggs and start downgrading him as a player (much like they did with Beltran)?

Probably as fast as Sox fans concluded he was a no talent greedy jerk.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
3.  (Bonus question) when do Cub fans start saying the Cubs were never very interested in Maggs and start downgrading him as a player (much like they did with Beltran)?

:lolhitting it's funny because it's true

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)

They're giving props to Hendry for NOT signing either Beltran and Maggs because of the contract they got.

QUOTE(ShySox72 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Now that Maggs days on the South Side are officially over, I'm glad that he's not a Cub.  Healthy or not.

I started to feel the same way. Its better to boo him wearing a Tiger uni than a Cubby blue bcoz it will hurt more. But WOW, is Scott Boras one of the multi millionaire in US now or what :bang

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
This could actually ruin his career if he is dumb.  If he tries to play through that pain, it will get worse and not better over time.

Just what I was thinking...

The Tiggies have one void in this contract. One. So, if Magglio makes it through this year, everything else becomes guaranteed (or at least up until the option years?)???

It could get real ugly if the two sides start pointing fingers at each other mid-season, meaning -- Maggs thinks he's OK to go on the knee, the Tigers want him on the DL -- it might get real, real messy...

QUOTE(ShySox72 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Now that Maggs days on the South Side are officially over, I'm glad that he's not a Cub.  Healthy or not.

Maggs in a Tiger uni is worse then Maggs in a Cubs uni.

He plays us 19 times now. That is 13 more times then he would have played us with the Cubs.

It's ridiculous Tigers failed to include performance related clauses in this contract.

If Magglio drudges through 2005 well below expectations of Detroit management; either because of persistent knee troubles or drop in production, their hopes of voiding the contract is solely based on his DL time. Sure, 25 games is a safety net, but only for 2005!?

What if Magglio's knee condition is degenerative?

Ordonez has all the motivation to perform this season. After which, he can undergo necessary surgery for an additional two years while pocketing 27 million. Both options years are based solely on his 2008, 2009 performance. What a deal Boras negotiated. Magglio could potentiantlly earn 105 million on three years work.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
It's ridiculous Tigers failed to include performance related clauses in this contract. 

If Magglio drudges through 2005 well below expectations of Detroit management; either because of persistent knee troubles or drop in production, there hopes of voiding the contract is only based on his DL time.  Sure, 25 games is a safety net, but only for 2005!?

What if Magglio's knee condition is degenerative?

Ordonez has all the motivation to perform this season.  After which, he can undergo necessary surgery for an additional two years while pocketing 27 million.  Both options years are based solely on his 2008, 2009 performance.  What a deal Boras negotiated.  Magglio could potentiantlly earn 105 million on three years work.

$37 mill per year isn't bad now, is it?