What would you add?

BamaDoc

Although I think Uribe (whom I affectionately refer to as "Ubes") played solid enough last year to earn a starting spot this year, I'm also not really sold on him. I like him alot, but I'm gonna need to see another solid season before I'm a true believer.

With that being said, I believe that we should still be out there looking for a backup shortstop, for insurance purposes if anything.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Shortstop for sure.

I am not sold on Juan Uribe and I feel he will fall into a sophomore slump.

Actually, he was a bit rough the second half of last year. He is the perfect utility infielder.

He's Hispanic for Craig Grabeck.

Nice player, but no star.

How hypocritical some of us are on this board (not saying you, retro -- just wanted to use your post as an example).

I'd say more than 90% of the people here are sold on Podsednik, because he's had one good season -- yet Juan Uribe is the one who's going to slump, because he's only had one real good year?

I'd agree with Qwerty, I'd much rather have a more reliable leadoff hitter to start the season, unfortunately, those just don't grow on trees.

MIF could use some depth, push Harris to the OF, and kick get Timo off the team and to Charlotte.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm really surprised at some of these answers.  You're putting MIF depth ahead of another solid RP.  Hasn't MIN dominance the past 3 yrs taught you anything?  ;)

Agreed Juggs, which is why I started with saying we would first be looking to add another veteran starter.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Agreed Juggs, which is why I started with saying we would first be looking to add another veteran starter.

Right now who plays SS barring an injury (God forbid)? Unless the reliever or starter make us that much better, than it has to be some MIF help. Money is an issue too guys.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Right now who plays SS barring an injury (God forbid)? Unless the reliever or starter make us that much better, than it has to be some MIF help. Money is an issue too guys.

Money is an issue and what I think we're talking about would be a rent-a-player type thing if we are in the playoff hunt. The kind of addition that Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar were meant to be in 2003. In other words, no real cost besides minor league talent (which I know raises a whole bunch of other concerns). But, this is the MO of KW and Jerry in those situations.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
Money is an issue and what I think we're talking about would be a rent-a-player type thing if we are in the playoff hunt.  The kind of addition that Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar were meant to be in 2003.  In other words, no real cost besides minor league talent (which I know raises a whole bunch of other concerns).  But, this is the MO of KW and Jerry in those situations.

Oh, I was just going by right now...we won't know about that stuff till the middle of the season comes, but going into the season we need some MIF help.

I agree that when you are talking about adding another player to the 25 man roster both $ & player availability have to be taken into consideration.

Unless you have someone in mind upgrading our leadoff hitter is not an option because of player availability. Likewise most of the good MIF backups are taken.

Consider what it would cost & who you are going to get to upgrade

vs Crede, or Pods, or a backup for Uribe. Then consider what it would cost & who you could get to upgrade vs Adkins. Adkins will probably face more opps were the tying or winning run is at the plate than Crede, Pods, or a backup will represent the tying or winning run.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I agree that when you are talking about adding another player to the 25 man roster both $ & player availability have to be taken into consideration.

Unless you have someone in mind upgrading our leadoff hitter is not an option because of player availability.  Likewise most of the good MIF backups are taken. 

Consider what it would cost & who you are going to get to upgrade

vs Crede, or Pods, or a backup for Uribe.  Then consider what it would cost & who you could get to upgrade vs Adkins.  Adkins will probably face more opps were the tying or winning run is at the plate than Crede, Pods, or a backup will represent the tying or winning run.

Okay so what quality reliever is available? Jorge Julio? I think the same situation arises with bullpen help. I am very confident in our pen. I don't think Adkins will have to face a ton of winning runs. We have Takatsu, Marte, Vizcaino, Politte, Hermanson, and then Adkins and Cotts (I will lump them together for now). We have Wilson Valdez as backup SS, or maybe Iguchi, or maybe Harris, or maybe Crede, hell why not Everett.

Okay so what quality reliever is available? Jorge Julio? I think the same situation arises with bullpen help. I am very confident in our pen. I don't think Adkins will have to face a ton of winning runs. We have Takatsu, Marte, Vizcaino, Politte, Hermanson, and then Adkins and Cotts (I will lump them together for now). We have Wilson Valdez as backup SS, or maybe Iguchi, or maybe Harris, or maybe Crede, hell why not Everett.

Here's my feeling on this. Assuming we have a mil or two to spare. There will plenty of RP trying to make rosters on other teams. There will be some that will be cut simply because they couldn't do enough to upseat the veterans of those teams. They still might be better than Cotts/Adkins. I agree we should consider either of them because Cotts appears to have better stuff & better peripheral numbers than Adkins. Opponents are hitting much less against him than Adkins.

So I think the Sox should keep their options & $'s open to relief pitchers that will become available after the final cuts.