Shingo Interview

bjm676

Didn't know he spoke English that well!! :D

Takatsu: Fans 'made a difference'

Reliever thankful for support, welcomes new season

Shingo Takatsu made history last year before even stepping on the field.

In late January 2004, the sidearming right-hander became the first Japanese baseball product to join the White Sox organization. But it soon became evident that Takatsu would serve as much more than a footnote in the annals of White Sox history.

Despite a few struggles on the mound during Spring Training, Takatsu quickly adjusted to life in Major League Baseball and gradually became one of the more productive relievers in the entire American League. Takatsu, who holds the Japanese record with 260 career saves, transformed himself from a pitcher who had trouble stringing together two consecutive outs during March efforts in Arizona into a hurler who retired 29 straight hitters from May 26 to June 22 and threw 26 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings.

Takatsu, 36, finished with 19 saves in 20 opportunities, a 2.31 ERA and a .182 opponents average against over 59 games and 62 1/3 innings. Prior to the start of his second season, in which he will be joined in the White Sox clubhouse by Japanese infielder Tadahito Iguchi, the crafty closer talked about his first-year baseball experiences, the city of Chicago and his strong support from the fans on the South Side.

Q: Congratulations on a very productive first year. It was unfortunate the White Sox did not go to the playoffs, but it was a very successful year for you personally. Overall, how did you like the city of Chicago?

Takatsu: Thank you. As far as Chicago is concerned, honestly speaking, I had no prior knowledge of what Chicago was like before coming here. I was just very eager to pitch for any team that would give me the opportunity. Now that I look back, I was very fortunate that I ended up in Chicago. Of course, the organization and the teammates were great, but also Chicago was a very comfortable place to live, and the White Sox fans' open-arm welcome lifted my game. It was a bit nippy in early part of the season, though. (chuckle)

Q: So you liked Chicago as a place to play baseball?

Takatsu: Yes. Of course, there were a few downsides as a relief pitcher such as a lot of rain delays in the spring. Sometimes, it could be troublesome when you have longer than usual downtime to set yourself up to pitch, but other than that, the climate and environment was perfect for a baseball player.

Q: It gave us goose bumps to see all those White Sox fans give you a standing ovation when you came out of the bullpen. The entry video the White Sox put together was excellent. Was that your request?

Takatsu: At first, the club asked me what kind of music I would like, so I gave them that song (which is the theme song for the movie "SPEED 2"), but the visual effects and the gongs are all the White Sox's ideas. Everybody complimented me about it. But to tell you the truth, I have not seen it in real life because you cannot turn around when you are coming out of the bullpen. (chuckle)

Q: Compared to Japanese fans, what did you think about Chicago fans?

Takatsu: This is not only about Chicago fans, but I found the overall "baseball temperature" -- by that I mean the level of interest for the game -- was much higher for Americans. The whole country was very enthusiastic about the game of baseball. As for Chicago fans, because we have two teams in the same town, and considering its history and rivalry, it gave me unbelievable excitement during the crosstown series. It was a great opportunity and very memorable to be in the middle of it. Chicago fans' "baseball temperature" was just unreal. To see those people taking everything so personally, happy when the team was playing good and sad when it was not, I was very moved to find that they all love baseball so much.

Q: I heard you are very popular among young Japanese baseball players. During the offseason, I am sure you are asked for advice from them about coming to the States, would you recommend Chicago?

Takatsu: Definitely yes. The West Coast has a warmer climate, and it could be easier to live for Japanese players because there are more Japanese people out there, but as far as a place to work and a place to play baseball, Chicago is a very comfortable and convenient city. If I was asked for advice, I will definitely recommend it. Oh, speaking of young players, when I visited my old team, the Yakult Swallows, I was surprised to see them wearing Mr. Zero T-shirts. That was funny.

Q: Speaking of Japan, do you think your success has changed the way people in Japan look at Chicago?

Takatsu: I really hope so. During this offseason, I had a lot of interviews with the media. I am very glad that my playing in Chicago gives more exposure about this city in Japan.

Q: You were a good friend of Esteban Loaiza until he was traded to Yankees. What other players did you befriend?

Takatsu: By the end of the season, I became friends with everyone. But I guess it was easier to talk to pitchers since we spent a lot of time together in the pen. Because of the language issue, it was hard to understand each other completely, but we always chatted. They are all very good guys. I cannot leak anything we talked about there, though. (chuckle)

Q: How did you like the restaurants in Chicago?

Takatsu: Before coming to Chicago, that was one of my biggest worries because I can only eat Japanese foods. But I was glad to find that there were a lot of Japanese restaurants here. Some of them were nice enough to keep the restaurant open after the closing time for me.

Q: Now that you look back, who was the most memorable opponent you faced last year?

Takatsu: Of course, pitching against some of the Japanese players like (New York's Hideki) Matsui and (Seattle's) Ichiro (Suzuki) comes to mind, but I must say the most memorable one was pitching against the Cubs. I believe that was late June, I came to the mound in the eighth inning ...

Q: It was top of the eighth inning and two out against Sammy Sosa, right?

Takatsu: Yes, U.S. Cellular Field was full that day, and there were a lot of White Sox and Cubs fans in the stadium. I came out in that tight situation and relieved against one of the best players to play this game. I think that was one of my best games in my career.

Q: It sure was. Now do you have any message for the people of Chicago?

Takatsu: Yes, the fact that I had very good year, I owe it to everyone, especially the people of Chicago. I definitely felt their warmth and welcome from the very beginning. Without that, I do not think it would go this smooth for me. It made a difference. I would like to give that back next season to all the people who cheered for us. Let's have a good season together. I will do the best I can do. Thank you

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
And that last paragraph in a nutshell is why Tadahito Iguchi is playing here in Chicago and not in Japan for the next couple of years.

I remember the first time I heard the gong when i was at the game. It definitely gave me goosebumps to see/hear the crowd's response.

I can't wait for the season to start!

I don't think Shingo speaks English very well. He must have used an interpreter.

Look in the article on the question about being friends with Loaiza. Shingo said he had language issues and had problems understanding other players.

Maybe Shingo has learned more English since then.

I'm such a Shingo fan. You can just see the joy he gets from playing the game. He really seems to be a great guy, and he had a tremendous year last year. I hope he can come close to duplicating his success this year - if he does, the Sox will be in good shape for sure.

SHINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
I'm such a Shingo fan. You can just see the joy he gets from playing the game. He really seems to be a great guy, and he had a tremendous year last year. I hope he can come close to duplicating his success this year - if he does, the Sox will be in good shape for sure.

SHINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Agreed, and I really want to see Shingo do so well. You could tell he genuinely loved the fan support of last year, and I hope he can continue to enjoy that feeling.