Adkins to start spring training opener

HighHeat45

In addition, this is a great move in that it allows Ozzie to test his longevity EARLY so that he knows what he has to work with immediately. I fully support starting the youngsters who most likely won't own a spot in the starting rotation in the first several games of the pre-season.

This is not a brilliant move, it's nothing .... It's not to test Adkin's stamina either. Adkins will pitch maybe 2 innings, just as any other pitcher would on the first ST game. If it was Buehrle, he'd pitch 2 innings or so. Don't make this any bigger than a blip on your radar screen, because that's all it is.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
This is not a brilliant move, it's nothing .... It's not to test Adkin's stamina either.  Adkins will pitch maybe 2 innings, just as any other pitcher would on the first ST game.  If it was Buehrle, he'd pitch 2 innings or so.  Don't make this any bigger than a blip on your radar screen, because that's all it is.

I agree.

Let's not make a big deal about something that isn't...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
This is not a brilliant move, it's nothing .... It's not to test Adkin's stamina either.  Adkins will pitch maybe 2 innings, just as any other pitcher would on the first ST game.  If it was Buehrle, he'd pitch 2 innings or so.  Don't make this any bigger than a blip on your radar screen, because that's all it is.

Well I agree with you to an extent. Your right that this start doesn't mean s*** stamina wise. However it clearly sends a message of their intent for him this season and I think thats important.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Well I agree with you to an extent. Your right that this start doesn't mean s*** stamina wise. However it clearly sends a message of their intent for him this season and I think thats important.

I don't think it sends any messages other than "Jon, pitch two innings." Just my opinion of course.