Bears Sign WR Muhsin Muhammad

TheNFLexperts.com, February 26, 2005 at 9:17am ET

Veteran wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad was released by the Carolina Panthers on Friday and reached a multi-year contract agreement with the Chicago Bears less than 24 hours later.

Muhammad will give the club a veteran presence and a proven NFL receiver which they are badly lacking.

The Bears are coming off of a season in which none of their receivers had over two touchdowns. Muhammad finished the season with an eye-popping 16 scores (career high for one season).

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is a huge signing for the Bears, it looked like all signs pointed to him joining Donovan and TO in Philly. And to answer Kalapse's question, it could very well be that they are going to take Benson or Williams at #4 now. I don't know if they think Thomas Jones can be the guy long - term.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
Excellent signing!

I hope Mush can help turn Gage and (maybe there's still hope?) Terrell into solid receivers.  Not to mention we finally have a threat at WR.

Here's to a great career with the Bears, Mushin!  :cheers

Just some things to be wary of with Muhsin;

In 2002 he only had 63 receptions and 2003 only 54 receptions. Last year he really found a comfort zone with Jake Delhomme however, but it took at least a season to get that to work. So I don't know if he'll have major instant success, but Grossman has a big go to guy in the end zone now, which is what the Bears DESPERATELY needed. He's 31 at the moment, probably be about 34 since it's a multi-year deal when it's up, can he keep producing at that age? Still I think it's a great signing though, and the Bears shouldn't pull away from drafting a WR just beacuse they sign Muhammed. Edwards or Mike Williams could provide more in the long run than Benson or Williams, if Lovie Smith goes with a pass happy offense.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
Wow that is a huge signing for the Bears, it looked like all signs pointed to him joining Donovan and TO in Philly. And to answer Kalapse's question, it could very well be that they are going to take Benson or Williams at #4 now. I don't know if they think Thomas Jones can be the guy long - term.

I figured now that the Bears have signed a #1 WR they'll set thier sights on a RB in the draft or maybe even a defensive player since the only half way decent OLman is Barron and he's nothing special. I'm thinking the bears will now probably take a look at Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams or if he drops Cedric Benson. Also you have Pac-man Jones, Derrick Johnson and Antrel Rolle who are possiblities on the defensive side of the ball.

Defensively I think the Bears are pretty damn good. I don't think you can really draft Derrick Johnson at #4, because it's not worth paying 2 linebackers big bucks. They can draft a CB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick, as there are a lot of good CB's in the late 1st early 2nd round range who could fall. So really they need all the playmakers on the offense they can get, but I wouldn't rule out a trade down with a team like San Diego or Dallas (highly unlikely for the Cowboys though).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
Could the Bears be looking at Smith or Rodgers if they slip to #4

I don't even know if Smith is that much of a better prospect than Grossman coming out. Rodgers I don't think will slip past #2 (latest sources think Miami could draft a QB), especially after his height was confirmed as 6'2 and not 6'1. Most likely, the Bears sign Fiedler to back up Grossman, and draft a WR or RB, depending on the best talent that they can pick at #4.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Could the Bears be looking at Smith or Rodgers if they slip to #4

I dunno.

I really doubt that the Bears will be drafting another QB in the 1st round for quite awhile. Grossman was starting to produce before he went down last year.

I wonder, would the Bears trade inter-division with Minnesota?

#4 for #7 and #19...?

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 02:50 AM)
I dunno.

I really doubt that the Bears will be drafting another QB in the 1st round for quite awhile. Grossman was starting to produce before he went down last year.

I wonder, would the Bears trade inter-division with Minnesota?

#4 for #7 and #19...?

I doubt it. It looks like one of the WR's is going to fall to #7 at least, and there's probably no-one else the Vikes really want to trade up for.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 03:08 AM)
I could see the 49ers trading down to get Edwards if they aren't happy with how Rodgers or Smith look.

Mike Nolan's going to interview Edwards, Benson, Smith and Rodgers. It's going to be hard for the 49ers to trade down a few spots though, because no-one wants the #1 pick, no-one's going to trade up for a Rodgers (at this stage). All signs point to them taking to local boy in Rodgers and rebuilding. Tim Rattay is going to be the guy long - term anyways.

This was the WR I thought the Bears would pursue.

It gives them a lot of options at 4, and I think Johnson, Rolle, and depending on whether or not the hype about Jones is real, will all be on the list.

They could still go WR, as either way it would be a nice tandem, the problem is, thats a lot of money to be putting in WR.

Maybe trade down.

SB

CB, RW is a liability and I think should be cut or traded if some one will take him.

Their CB's would be, Tillman, Azumah, (Rolle Jones), Vasher.

As for LB Briggs, Urlacher, Johnson looks really good to me, Hunter is okay, but Johnson is one of the best line backers I have ever seen play.

He is just so good.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger