Sox have Korean Pitcher try out

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
Daisuke matsuzaka please. :)

The sox would have to one of the top teams in consideration to sign him. Esp if Shingo stays healthy and has another good yr and is resigned. Matsuzaka's numbers look real good, good control, low walks and a lot of K's.

I could see the Sox letting Garland go [isn't he eligible to be a FA in '06?] and signing Matsuzaka at half the price as Jon would likely get on the open market [esp if Jon has a yr with a sub 4 ERA and wins 15+ games].

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
The sox would have to one of the top teams in consideration to sign him. Esp if Shingo stays healthy and has another good yr and is resigned. Matsuzaka's numbers look real good, good control, low walks and a lot of K's.

I could see the Sox letting Garland go [isn't he eligible to be a FA in '06?] and signing Matsuzaka at half the price as Jon would likely get on the open market [esp if Jon has a yr with a sub 4 ERA and wins 15+ games].

Somebody with more knowledge of the situation can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Matsuzaka will be "posted". Posted meaning auctioned off to the highest bidder, just for the right to negotiate a deal. It's a double dip. First you pay his old team for the right to have him, then you pay him whatever his demands are. That means he's going to end up on a team with deep pockets(read Yankees).

Garland isn't a FA until following the '06 season, but he could be traded or non-tendered after this season. It's not like we're locked into a multi-year deal with him.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
This is nothing more than the Sox trying to bring guys in for as cheap as possible.

Kenny: Hey should I go find some real bullpen help?

JR: Nope, Just bring over some more of them there Asians, the fans eat it up!

23 awesome stuff and people aren't bidding over him? This is crap. Don't get your hopes up for this guy.

:gosox1:

I guess Hermanson and Vizcaino don't qualify as "real bullpen help"?! This Moon guy is for AA and AAA depth [and for guys with upside who could help the Sox in 2006 or 2007], which the sox need. This guy could have a lot of upside, throwing 95 mph after 4 yrs off shows he's got a gun

My guess is people aren't bidding on him because he won't help the major league teams this yr, because he hasn't played in so long. I for one don't care where a pitcher or player comes from. If they have talent, it'll show itself.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Somebody with more knowledge of the situation can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Matsuzaka will be "posted". Posted meaning auctioned off to the highest bidder, just for the right to negotiate a deal.  It's a double dip.  First you pay his old team for the right to have him, then you pay him whatever his demands are.  That means he's going to end up on a team with deep pockets(read Yankees).

Garland isn't a FA until following the '06 season, but he could be traded or non-tendered after this season.  It's not like we're locked into a multi-year deal with him.

I'm not too sure how the Japanese FA's become available. I know there are other avenues besides the posting system. But all things being equal, the Sox have to be attractive to any Japanese players if Iguchi works out.

As for Garland, unless he has a Ben Sheets-like coming out season, the sox might be better off trading him [like the A's did with Hudson and Mulder] than paying him $5 mill +, even for a one yr deal.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I guess Hermanson and Vizcaino don't qualify as "real bullpen help"?! This Moon guy is for AA and AAA depth [and for guys with upside who could help the Sox in 2006 or 2007], which the sox need. This guy could have a lot of upside, throwing 95 mph after 4 yrs off shows he's got a gun

My guess is people aren't bidding on him because he won't help the major league teams this yr, because he hasn't played in so long. I for one don't care where a pitcher or player comes from. If they have talent, it'll show itself.

I agree 100%. This guy may not be a stopper this year but it sounds like he has some tools. Let him get some seasoning in AA and AAA, he'll also be able to see what it's like throwing for a full major league season. If he doesn't pan out then we eat a few bucks.

Potential Reward > Risk

It's just like KW to find some guy no one else had heard of, get him on the cheap (although it hasn't happened yet) and play wait and see if he's the real deal. It's kind of exciting, and if it works, I'm all for it.

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
This is nothing more than the Sox trying to bring guys in for as cheap as possible.

Kenny: Hey should I go find some real bullpen help?

JR: Nope, Just bring over some more of them there Asians, the fans eat it up!

23 awesome stuff and people aren't bidding over him? This is crap. Don't get your hopes up for this guy.

:gosox1:

Wow that's about a short sited as they come... Yeah I guess they should go out and spend tons of money instead of getting quality talent at the best price possible.

I'm not too sure how the Japanese FA's become available. I know there are other avenues besides the posting system. But all things being equal, the Sox have to be attractive to any Japanese players if Iguchi works out.

As for Garland, unless he has a Ben Sheets-like coming out season, the sox might be better off trading him [like the A's did with Hudson and Mulder] than paying him $5 mill +, even for a one yr deal.

Beck gotta agree with you on the garland situation, there is no need to pay him 5mil for a guy who wins 12 and and era that large, we can use the money elsewhere such as signing Pauly for our DH spot.

QUOTE(awesomefan @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
whitesoxinteractive.com message board has a thread about the Korean pitcher Sang Ho Moon with some awesome big pictures of him throwing.

He looks like Johnny Depp some are saying & I agree. :P  :gosox1:

Uhhhhh so do we......

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=29962&st=270

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)

If Garland has a year like that, why would we want to let him go? Hell, that's what we've been waiting for him to do.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
If Garland has a year like that, why would we want to let him go?  Hell, that's what we've been waiting for him to do.

With Garland, it's a double edged sword. Would you sign a guy to a long term deal based on one very good yr, after a string of mediocre ones? Or would teams be willing to overpay in the trade market, thereby getting 2 or 3 good players that could help the sox for years to come? I don't know. My guess is even if Jon has a breakout yr, he'll show some inconsistencies that will give the sox and us fans some reason to pause on a giving him a long term deal

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 04:57 AM)
With Garland, it's a double edged sword. Would you sign a guy to a long term deal based on one very good yr, after a string of mediocre ones? Or would teams be willing to overpay in the trade market, thereby getting 2 or 3 good players that could help the sox for years to come? I don't know. My guess is even if Jon has a breakout yr, he'll show some inconsistencies that will give the sox and us fans some reason to pause on a giving him a long term deal

I feel his inconsistencies are due to his youth .... I know, that's getting old to hear ..... but, I still believe that. Once he does break out, he'll be a damn good pitcher for years. Of course, that's assuming he does actually break out.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 07:41 AM)
Has there been any word on if the Sox have signed Sang Ho Moon or are they not? I think it would be a bad idea to not sign him. His reward seems to outweight his risk...

He has not been signed yet, though he hung around wearing Sox gear yesterday. He's scheduled for another throwing session today.

From the Cubune;

Charles Weh, a representative for Korean free-agent pitcher Sang-Ho Moon, said his client would like to skip other tryouts if he can impress the Sox during a second workout scheduled for Friday. …

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
From the Cubune;

I know he's Korean, not Japanese, but it appears as if the White Sox have become one of the prefered destinations for these asian imports. Of course, this one could have something to do with Man Soo's influence, but Shingo, Iguchi, and possibly this guy. That's a trend.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
I know he's Korean, not Japanese, but it appears as if the White Sox have become one of the prefered destinations for these asian imports.  Of course, this one could have something to do with Man Soo's influence, but Shingo, Iguchi, and possibly this guy.  That's a trend.

Down the line with a bunch of Asians on our team, the White Sox could really make some money in Asia from merchandising, TV Networks over there etc. if they play their cards right. There seems to be 3 preferred markets for Japanese or Korean players coming over, New York, the West Coast (Seattle and San Diego) and Chicago.

What shocks me is that the cubs haven't shown interest in this guy. I mean as thin as their bullpen situation is you think they would be hungry for all the decent arms they could get. I think it sounds like it would be a great signing as long as he didn't get a deal any bigger then what that Kevin Walker got.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 05:19 AM)
What shocks me is that the cubs haven't shown interest in this guy. I mean as thin as their bullpen situation is you think they would be hungry for all the decent arms they could get. I think it sounds like it would be a great signing as long as he didn't get a deal any bigger then what that Kevin Walker got.

They need immediate help not a ''project''.

Update on Moon from the Trib.

Charles Weh, a representative for Korean free-agent pitcher Sang-Ho Moon, said his client would like to skip other tryouts if he can impress the Sox during a second workout scheduled for Friday. …

Dont mind if we sign him. Is he a starter or a reliever?

I don't think anyone posted this yet, per whitesox.com

More to come: Sang-Ho Moon, the 23-year-old Korean free agent who worked out for the White Sox on Tuesday, will throw another side session on Friday at Tucson Electric Park. The hard-throwing right-hander would prefer to pitch for the White Sox, according to his representative Charles Yeh, despite interest from other teams. Yeh said that Moon feels comfortable with the White Sox and has a sense of appreciation toward Ray Poitevint, the White Sox's new international scout, who set up the initial tryout.

Sounds good to me...

It appears that Korean free-agent pitcher Sang-Ho Moon will try out for other teams.

Moon threw a bullpen session in front of a group that included scouting director Duane Shaffer, farm director Dave Wilder and pro scout Gary Pellant. But the Sox and Moon's representative differ widely on his projected role and value.

The Sox envision Moon as a reliever worth probably the equivalent of eighth-round money in the $70,000 range. Moon wants to start, and his representative is seeking a healthy six-figure bonus.

Oh well. Let's move on.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
Oh well.  Let's move on.

Hey, we all gave up on Iguchi a month before he signed with the team. Kenny ended up signing Iguchi for, what was it, a fourth of what he was asking.

Kenny also "moved on" from Pierzynski before signing him to a deal. Hell, Kenny even said AJ wasn't a fit for the Sox.

I'm not saying Kenny is going to sign him. But, crazier things have happened (and at least twice this very off-season).