Clinton sleeps on floor so Bush can use bed

Texsox

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Bush is older than Clinton. And also did lose to him, so I guess I can't complain that Clinton is giving him the bed.

It is interesting how our Ex-Presidents all seem to get along. Carter and Ford have discussed this on many occassions. It's a small club. Usually even smaller. At one time I believe we only had Nixon as a living ex-President. Now we have enough Presidents to field a basketball team. I'll guard Ford

I think after leaving office they gain mutual respect for each other. There are only a few people in the world that know how they feel professionally and personally so it's not too surprising how they get along. Kind of like how ballplayers and movie stars are friends with people in their own profession because they know how it goes.

My guess is that they all realize just how difficult being the president is. The hopes and failures of a nation are put upon one individual who is no more superhuman then any of us.

Afterwards, they may disagree on politics, but they all know just how tough of a job it is and must have the upmost respect for each other.

After posting that, I had a memory start nagging at me.

MMP082-1P41.jpg

However, this was shortly before Clinton took office. So it's 4 ex and 1 sitting Prez. Nixon passed on April 22, 1994. So from Clinton's inaguration until that date, we did have 5 living ex-prez's.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 05:57 AM)
After posting that, I had a memory start nagging at me.

MMP082-1P41.jpg

However, this was shortly before Clinton took office.  So it's 4 ex and 1 sitting Prez.  Nixon passed on April 22, 1994.  So from Clinton's inaguration until that date, we did have 5 living ex-prez's.

I think after Clinton took office he got them all together and I remember hearing that it was the most ex-Presidents together at one time. Don't know about the most alive at a single time. I guess if one had some time they could figure it out.

Not it! :P

QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
I think after Clinton took office he got them all together and I remember hearing that it was the most ex-Presidents together at one time. Don't know about the most alive at a single time. I guess if one had some time they could figure it out.

Not it! :P

That would be an interesting research project for somebody.

TexSox, you busy? :lol:

But not too busy to educate and research :D

After a president of the U.S. leaves office, the title "President" continues to be applied to that person the rest of his life. Former presidents continue to be important national figures, and in some cases go on to successful post-presidential careers. Notable examples have included William Howard Taft's tenure as Chief Justice of the United States and Jimmy Carter's current career as a global human rights campaigner and best-selling writer.

As of February 2005, there are four living former presidents: Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton. The most recently deceased President is Ronald Reagan, who died in June 2004.

There have never been more than five former presidents alive at any given time in American history. There have been three periods during which five former presidents were alive:

* From March 4, 1861, to January 18, 1862, Martin Van Buren, John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, and James Buchanan were living (during the Lincoln Administration, until the death of Tyler).

* From January 20, 1993, to April 22, 1994, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and George H. W. Bush were living (during the Clinton Administration, until the death of Nixon).

* From January 20, 2001, to June 5, 2004, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, and Bill Clinton were living (during the George W. Bush Administration, until the death of Reagan).

There have been six periods in American history during which no former presidents were alive:

* April 30, 1789 - March 4, 1797: George Washington was the first president, so no former presidents existed until Washington left office.

* December 14, 1799 - March 4, 1801: from the death of former President George Washington until incumbent President John Adams left office (no former president would die until Adams and his successor, Thomas Jefferson, both did so on July 4, 1826).

* July 31, 1875 - March 4, 1877: from the death of former President Andrew Johnson until incumbent President Ulysses Grant left office (no former president would die until Grant did so in 1885 although incumbent President James Garfield was assassinated in 1881).

* June 24, 1908 - March 4, 1909: from the death of former President Grover Cleveland until incumbent President Theodore Roosevelt left office (no former president would die until Roosevelt did so in 1919).

* January 5, 1933 - March 4, 1933: from the death of former President Calvin Coolidge until incumbent President Herbert Hoover left office (no former president would die until Hoover did so in 1964 although incumbent President Franklin Roosevelt died in office in 1945 and incumbent President John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963).

* January 22, 1973 - August 9, 1974: from the death of former President Lyndon Johnson until incumbent President Richard Nixon resigned (no former president would die until Nixon did so in 1994).

Herbert Hoover had the longest post-presidency, 31 years. He left office in 1933 and died in 1964. Excluding presidents who died in office, James K. Polk had the shortest post-presidency. He died on June 15, 1849, a mere three months after the expiration of his term.

Franklin D. Roosevelt is the only President to serve more than 8 years in the office (1933-1945)

Between the birth of George Washington in 1732 and the birth of Bill Clinton in 1946, future presidents have been born in every decade except two: the 1810s and the 1930s. Between the death of George Washington in 1799 and the present, presidents or ex-presidents have died in every decade except four: the 1800s, 1810s, 1950s, and 1980s.

Edited by Texsox