Frank Reports

Sox1422

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
I would rather he take his time and come back 100%, then rush things and risk hurting himself.  I have faith that Carl Everett can do well in the DH spot.

Did we welcome you?

If not, welcome to SoxTalk :cheers

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

New-look Thomas is back

Slugger 15 pounds lighter, ready to focus on future

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The nickname of 'The Big Hurt' was bestowed upon Frank Thomas because of the way he consistently punished offerings from opposing hurlers for most of the 1990s. His immense size also factored into the equation.

Over the past nine months, that particular moniker has taken on a new meaning for the 15-year veteran.

Thomas suffered a broken navicular bone in his left ankle while fielding a Juan Pierre ground ball at first base during the June 17 game last season against Florida. His last at-bat of 2004 was a pinch-hit strikeout against the Cubs on the night of July 4, and Dr. Richard Ferkel performed surgery on Oct. 6 in Los Angeles to repair the damage.

Close to six months after the procedure, and following Ferkel's examination and ensuing clearance this past Thursday, Thomas rejoined the White Sox with an eye on a quick return to the playing field. Thomas dropped 15 pounds since the injury and gained a fresh perspective on the game while spending seven months on crutches.

"My mind is clear and ready to go," said Thomas on Monday afternoon, as part of his first media session since early August. "Being on crutches for seven months, it changes your life.

"I wasn't able to do anything for myself for seven months. Now, I feel like I have four or five years left, and I want to max it out."

Speaking for 15 minutes, Thomas addressed topics ranging from his health to the steroids' controversy to his future with the White Sox. Thomas spoke of how Ferkel recommended his diet, but how it was already in his mind as part of the master plan to avoid re-fracturing the navicular and producing a career-ending injury.

Thomas usually plays at 275 or 280 pounds. But with his diet being more a way of life now than a temporary plan, he hopes to check in at 260 pounds by the time he's ready to get back on the field.

While he wouldn't reveal all of his secrets, Thomas said that he went on a strict fish diet and ate a lot of greens. The baked potatoes and all the extra carbohydrates featured in his past meals disappeared after this latest medial setback.

During limited action Monday, Thomas took a few swings in the batting cages after joking with his teammates. He also did some light running on grass at the back of the White Sox's complex in Tucson Electric Park, although White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider said most of Thomas' cardio work will take place on treadmills, bikes or elliptical machines.

Schneider stridently pointed out late last week that there's no timetable on Thomas' return, despite Thomas' hope to be back in action shortly after the six months following surgery date comes up on April 6. While Schneider was pleasantly surprised upon seeing Thomas' progress in person, he still wouldn't make any predictions.

"There's no sense in pushing him to try to do something because the proof is in the pudding," Schneider said of Thomas' on-going recovery. "You can see that his (left) leg is a little atrophied out, and I have to get that back. How long that's going to take me, I really don't know.

"I don't have a crystal ball to figure that out. But I can promise you one thing. He and I will work at getting it better, and we'll get it better as quick as we possibly can without putting him in harm's way while doing it.

"Frank comes in today and says, 'I'm ready to go. I'm ready to go,'" Schneider added. "We have to do what's best for him because he wants to get out there. We have to let him get out there when the time is right."

Thomas was taped and wearing orthotics while working out Monday, but they weren't the specially designed ones that will be used when he's back in action. The White Sox's all-time leader in six offensive categories, including home runs (434) and RBIs (1,439), understands that the 2005 version of his team will look much different than in years past.

Magglio Ordonez signed a lucrative free agent deal with the Detroit Tigers, and Carlos Lee was traded to the Milwaukee Brewers. Thomas talked to both of his longtime teammates during the offseason and said that they were happy where they are and that both sides need to move on.

Pitching, speed and defense are the watchwords for manager Ozzie Guillen's current crew, leaving Thomas to ponder if he fits into the plans after this season. Thomas, who earns $8 million in 2005, has the first choice again in 2006, with a $10 million player option. If he declines the option, the White Sox can offer $12 million or decline the option and make him a free agent.

But his focus lies more on what he can do to get ready for this year. He's come too far to worry about anything beyond the next few months.

"If I have my typical year, I'm sure I'll be here," Thomas said. "But the team is moving and players move. There is a lot of movement going on now. I'm happy to still be here. I've been here my whole career and I continue to plan to be here. But you never know how things work out.

"When I'm healthy, I've always put up superstar numbers. When I'm healthy, I'm just going to do my thing. I feel good about that.

"It's one of these things that Jerry Reinsdorf and I always have had a great relationship," Thomas added. "If it's time for my career to end here, there's nothing I can do about that. My job is to go out and get healthy and be the best player I possibly can be. If I'm the player I normally am, I don't see me going anywhere. I would love to retire as part of the White Sox."

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
Naa, he be throwing off the Rubber in a couple of days!! :bang

The one guy, that even if my arm was complete garbage, that I could outhrow in the majors. :)

For those who haven't seen Frank throw, I advise you to be prepared to be scared!!! :D

Also by the looks of the end of that article, Frank will be here again next year since its his option and then the Sox option to buy out and there is no way Thomas will turn down 10 mill a year.

The only way he would was if the Sox led by JR sat down with Thomas and his reps and worked out like a 3 yr 18 mill deal or something and the only way they do that is if Thomas has a good year, which I think he will.

There is no question in my mind that if Frank has a good year JR is going to re-negotiate a reasonable contract extension for Frank. If you get past the reporters Frank & JR might have one of the best owner-player relationships in all of professional sports.

I could see 18/3 + incentives as being reasonable.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

TUCSON, Ariz. -- It would be easy for Frank Thomas to gloat or feel total vindication. It would be just as easy for Thomas to point fingers at the accused where the steroids controversy is concerned.

But Thomas has no intention of going back in time, despite being an outspoken critic of steroids usage in baseball for many years. Instead, Thomas applauded the new testing program put together by Commissioner Bud Selig and the Players Association and took pride in the fact that his size always has come naturally, as have his .308 career average, 436 home runs and 1,439 RBIs.

"I've always been big, fast and strong," Thomas said. "That has been my strength -- being bigger and stronger than everybody else early in my career.

"I'm just happy that I've kept my nose clean and did the things that always gave me the extra boost I had, which is hitting the weight room three or four hours per day in the offseason and working that hard to be who I am. It's one of those things where I can't be mad at anyone. Whatever you do for your family is your business."

Thomas was one of five active players invited to testify before a Congressional House Committee on March 17, convened in regards to baseball's handling of the steroids crisis. Jason Giambi, Rafael Palmeiro, Sammy Sosa, Curt Schilling and Jose Canseco would join Thomas as part of Panel I.

The prospect of speaking on that issue didn't seem to bother Thomas. But with his ankle swelling up to the "size of a grapefruit" every time he flies, Thomas doesn't envision a trip to Washington, D.C., in the near future.

"It's an honor for Congress to invite any of us to the meetings," Thomas said. "It's one of those things I definitely won't turn down. If I get the opportunity to go, I will.

"We will see how it works out. It's an educational process for kids on most of it, and they want to shed light on what's been going on. I'm not going to be the guy who sits here and says I don't think it's necessary. If guys are subpoenaed, we are going to have to go anyway."

Suggestions centering on two sets of records for the pre- and post-steroids era or that Thomas should now be awarded the American League Most Valuable Player award won by Jason Giambi in 2000 were not given much credence by the big man. While Giambi never acknowledged using steroids in a public forum, he reportedly testified of his usage before a grand jury during the BALCO trial.

Thomas still is miffed over not winning his third MVP in 2000, but it has almost nothing to do with possible steroids usage.

"It took a few years to get over that one anyway," said Thomas with a smile. "As I told you guys at the time, I felt I did everything possible to win it. But Jason won and I tip my hat to him.

"He's a friend of mine, and I see him all the time. We live in the same town (Las Vegas). It's one of those things where I'm not going to look back. I just want to go forward at this point. I'm happy that I'm almost healthy again and can go out and do what I do."

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Also by the looks of the end of that article, Frank will be here again next year since its his option and then the Sox option to buy out and there is no way Thomas will turn down 10 mill a year.

The only way he would was if the Sox led by JR sat down with Thomas and his reps and worked out like a 3 yr 18 mill deal or something and the only way they do that is if Thomas has a good year, which I think he will.

Frank gets a $3.5 million buyout. Another team offers Frank $6.5 million, he makes $10 million. I don't see any way the Sox give him that kind of money. If he's healthy I think he'll go for possibly the last big payday of his career. I saw Sam Smith on Dan Jiggets' show after the Sox game today, and after the Steve Alford show (go Hawks). He said it was common knowledge that its Frank's last year with the Sox. I know this guy has some crazy thoughts in his head, but I have seen him out with JR socially a couple of times, so he might know a little more than anyone really thinks.

Frank gets a $3.5 million buyout. Another team offers Frank $6.5 million, he makes $10 million. I don't see any way the Sox give him that kind of money. If he's healthy I think he'll go for possibly the last big payday of his career. I saw Sam Smith on Dan Jiggets' show after the Sox game today, and after the Steve Alford show (go Hawks). He said it was common knowledge that its Frank's last year with the Sox. I know this guy has some crazy thoughts in his head, but I have seen him out with JR socially a couple of times, so he might know a little more than anyone really thinks.

That makes no sense at all. The bottom line is losing Thomas costs 3.5M & retaining Thomas costs an addtional 6.5M. If Thomas has a good year there is no way JR will just let him walk to save 6.5M.

Likewise you are not looking at what Thomas means to the Sox long term. There is no player on the team now nor in the ml's that is expected to approach any where near Frank's OBP. If OBP is the most important stat to a team built on pitching & defense then Thomas might be the most valuable hitter on this team.

Those who think the Sox will keep Koney are living in a dream world. When JD Drew gets 55/5, Koney is gone. There will be some team willing to overspend on a long term deal for Koney's homers. The Sox are not going to sign Koney to a 5 yr deal for that kind of money. When Koney goes Thomas will be the only MVP capable player on the team. Being able to lock him up for 18/3 + incentives is a no-brainer.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
That makes no sense at all.  The bottom line is losing Thomas costs 3.5M & retaining Thomas costs an addtional 6.5M.  If Thomas has a good year there is no way JR will just let him walk to save 6.5M. 

Likewise you are not looking at what Thomas means to the Sox long term.  There is no player on the team now nor in the ml's that is expected to approach any where near Frank's OBP.  If OBP is the most important stat to a team built on pitching & defense then Thomas might be the most valuable hitter on this team. 

Those who think the Sox will keep Koney are living in a dream world.  When JD Drew gets 55/5, Koney is gone.  There will be some team willing to overspend on a long term deal for Koney's homers.  The Sox are not going to sign Koney to a 5 yr deal for that kind of money.  When Koney goes Thomas will be the only MVP capable player on the team. Being able to lock him up for 18/3 + incentives is a no-brainer.

I think Barry Bonds will make Frank's OBP look small. JD Drew, who you mentioned, had a higer OBP than Frank last season. Franki s coming off an injury. He is at least as big if not a bigger question mark than Magglio this season. My argument is its going to cost the White Sox $3.5 more than any other team to retain him. I know he is all cheery now, but he usually grumbles about his contract at some point, especially when it looks like the White Sox got a good deal. Frank's going to take that $3.5 million and if he hits, some team will pay him $6-8 million. Unless Frank has an off year, or the White Sox pick up his option, this is probably it for him on the southside. Frank only has a few seasons left, if that. This ankle injury could re-occur at any time. He may have lost weight, but he is still a huge man, putting great stress on that joint. Frank would probably want more than a one year contract, and shelling out the kind of money he would want to a now brittle, old,DH only wouldn't be prudent. If you don't think JR will let that happen, remember he let Hawk fire Tony LaRussa. He let Schueler release Carlton Fisk in Cleveland. He let Michael Jordan go play for the Wizards. I'm sure he'll let some other owner pay Frank during the twilight of his great career.