What the Sox need to win the ALC in 05

JUGGERNAUT

Having seen most analysts pick the Twins as the favs & the Tribe as the runner-up I ask

Sox fans what needs to happen to our beloved Chi-Sox to win the division. Try to keep your expectations or hope at a minimum so we can keep it real.

#1 - Hernandez gets 25+ starts. If that happens then the Sox will get 45+ wins from

their front 3. Contreras & Garland are good for 25. The pen is good enough for 20+.

I think the likelihood of Hernandez getting 25 starts is close to Milwood getting 15+ wins with the Tribe, Bonderman breaking out for the Tigs, & Mays getting 25+ starts for the Twins. All of these teams have an equal dependancy on that kind of luck as the Sox do with Hernandez.

#2 - Pods+Igs combine for a 340+ OBP. In the land of Oz, the #2 spot is Igs to lose.

If this happens the Sox will have a consistent offense.

I think this is as likely to happen as any of the other teams in the ALC producing a combined 340+ OBP out of their top 2 spots.

#3 - The Sox have at least 1 300+ hitter. Every division winner has had at least one.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Having seen most analysts pick the Twins as the favs & the Tribe as the runner-up I ask

Sox fans what needs to happen to our beloved Chi-Sox to win the division.  Try to keep your expectations or hope at a minimum so we can keep it real.

#1 - Hernandez gets 25+ starts.  If that happens then the Sox will get 45+ wins from

their front 3.  Contreras & Garland are good for 25.  The pen is good enough for 20+. 

I think the likelihood of Hernandez getting 25 starts is close to Milwood getting 15+ wins with the Tribe, Bonderman breaking out for the Tigs, & Mays getting 25+ starts for the Twins.  All of these teams have an equal dependancy on that kind of luck as the Sox do with Hernandez.

#2 - Pods+Igs combine for a 340+ OBP.  In the land of Oz, the #2 spot is Igs to lose.

If this happens the Sox will have a consistent offense.

I think this is as likely to happen as any of the other teams in the ALC producing a combined 340+ OBP out of their top 2 spots. 

#3 - The Sox have at least 1 300+ hitter.  Every division winner has had at least one.

Everything sounds good except for #3. Last year, the Yankees didn't have a .300+ hitter (Matsui was closest with .298) and they won their division. I think it seems pretty arbitrary that you HAVE to have a .300 hitter...and as evidence by last year's Yankee team it shows you can be pretty successful without one.

id say for us to win the division El Duque needs to at least make 20 starts, Garland has to finally break out some and give us 15-16 wins and on the offensive side Crede neets to bat .260 or higher and Dye needs to have a good year.

and if we dont win it all this year i dont know if i have much faith in next year since we could have 3 rookies starting in Brian Anderson, B-Mac, and Josh Fields also Konerko might be gone :headshake

Edited by SoxFan101

04 Home 276BA, 344OBP, 491S, 46W-35L +11

04 Away 260BA, 321OBP, 424S, 37W-44L -7

Pods, Igs, Dye, AJP, Uribe vs Lee, Uribe, Maggs, Davis, Val : upgrade Home & Away.

KW has done all he could with budget constraints to make the Sox road warriors. Improving the road numbers is a no-brainer.