Around The Majors

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Is ignorance really bliss?  Did you bother to read anything by Oakland fans when that trade happened?  They warned us that Beane over-used him & they saw his velocity dropping at the end of August. 

It was assumed that he could get it back over that off-season but he never did.

Now look at the facts.  He was the Roland's man of relief that year with a high very IP number.  His velocity was strong in the first half & tailed off in the 2nd.  He was called upon to pitch more than one inning many times in the month of Aug of that year.

It doesn't take much gray matter to connect the dots on that one  :rolly

Beane : overuse of koch :: a waiter : my overcooked steak

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beane : overuse of koch :: a waiter : my overcooked steak

Well at least you are leaning toward Oakland as the source to his drop off. I would agree that the manager is more to blame than Beane for over-using Koch but we also know from Beane's own words in Moneyball that he is more involved with the coaching aspects of the team than most GM's.

I don't fault him for dealing damaged goods to KW. It's KW's fault for not looking at velocity reports on Koch in August. All MLB teams have access to them.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Well at least you are leaning toward Oakland as the source to his drop off.  I would agree that the manager is more to blame than Beane for over-using Koch but we also know from Beane's own words in Moneyball that he is more involved with the coaching aspects of the team than most GM's. 

I don't fault him for dealing damaged goods to KW.  It's KW's fault for not looking at velocity reports on Koch in August.  All MLB teams have access to them.

Yeah, Beane was getting rid of a guy he knew wasn't going to have another year that was the same as the last. If you can get rid of him, go ahead.

KW will be devastated; :crying

The Rays will make an announcement regarding Roberto Alomar's future tomorrow. It's believed he will retire.

That would come as quite a shock. Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella said Alomar told him he was having trouble seeing. He's also been plagued by back problems in camp. If Alomar is done, Jorge Cantu will become Tampa Bay's starting second baseman. We never say never when it comes to the Rays, but it's unlikely they'd acquire another veteran to block him. Mar. 18 - 11:59 pm et

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
KW will be devastated; :crying

From MLB

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays subtracted two players and added one on Saturday morning as veterans Roberto Alomar and Danny Bautista announced their retirements and outfielder Alex Sanchez was signed.

Alomar was signed in December to be the team's starting second baseman while the club brought along youngster Jorge Cantu. But Alomar has nursed a bad back for most of the spring, and when he did play, the results were not up to Alomar's standards.

"I have a lot of pride in my game," said Alomar, who added that he'd rather leave the game than play it at a level less than the one at which he was used to playing.

Meanwhile, Bautista's announcement came as more of a shocker.

The veteran was signed to bolster the outfield that was left thin with Rocco Baldelli's knee injury. But Bautista has been suffering through ankle pain all spring -- as he did throughout the offseason -- and he came to the conclusion that he would rather retire than play at less than his best.

Prior to Bautista's surprise announcement, Sanchez was signed to help give the team some help in the outfield. Sanchez, who hit .322 for the Tigers in 2004, began his career in the Devil Rays' organization in 1996.

Saturday's news likely means that Cantu will assume the starting job at second, Carl Crawford will move over to left field and Sanchez will take over in center field.

Bill Chastain is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Roberto retires with 2724 hits.

The Nationals placed outfielder Alex Escobar on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right quadriceps. Escobar, who is competing with J.J. Davis and Ryan Church for the last backup outfield spot, is hitting just .133 in 15 at-bats.

Ha Ha Ha! Gotta love this one.

A batting practice home run by Giambi struck a man on the head beyond the right-field fence of Field 2 at Legends yesterday morning. The man dropped to the ground and when he recovered he accused Gary Sheffield of throwing the ball at him from inside the field.

Sheffield, who had witnesses that the man wasn't telling the right story, was stunned at the accusation but agreed to sign the ball for the man.

C.C. Sabathia - S - Indians

Indians placed LHP C.C. Sabathia on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique.

Sabathia threw 45 pitches yesterday in his second mound session since suffering the injury. It appears that the Indians are setting up their rotation for him to make his season debut on April 17.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
yeah i think in Oaklands case you can blame the GM over the manger.... its pretty clear from moneyball that Beane runs the show.

Well, we can 'blame' Billy Beane all we want, all he cares is that he got a damn good closer out of the deal, as well as a couple of compensation picks later for allowing Foule to leave...

NOT HOT bats in the ALC (ST-05):

ChiSox: Crede, Dye, AJP, Harris, Gload

Twins: Morneau, Ford, Rivas, Punto

Indians: Martinez, Broussard, Belliard, Gonzo

Tigers: Infante, Higginson, Ordonez (warm 269A)

Royals: Buck, Harvey, DeJesus, Blanco, Stairs, Pickering

NOT HOT arms in the ALC (ST-05): (starters, closers)

ChiSox: Hermanson, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Shingo, Marte, El-Duque

Twins: Crain, Romero

Indians: Betancourt, C Lee, Millwood

Tigers: Maroth, Johnson, Knotts

Royals: Appier, Greinke, Lima, Hernandez, Affeldt

The Twins look primed to dominate April. Good ST #'s are meaningless but bad ones usually mean a slow start. It's possible ChiSox & Royals are victims of AZ but even so that only weakens the confidence of those arms.

Looking at this list the Twins & Tigers are primed for fast starts, the Tribe & Sox off to slow starts, & the Royals lagging in last.

The Twins look primed to dominate April.  Good ST #'s are meaningless but bad ones usually mean a slow start.  It's possible ChiSox & Royals are victims of AZ but even so that only weakens the confidence of those arms.

Looking at this list the Twins & Tigers are primed for fast starts, the Tribe & Sox off to slow starts, & the Royals lagging in last.

I love how you put 100% stock into a "NOT HOT" list for Spring Training. :headshake

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)

The Twins look primed to dominate April.  Good ST #'s are meaningless but bad ones usually mean a slow start.  It's possible ChiSox & Royals are victims of AZ but even so that only weakens the confidence of those arms.

Totally meaningless.

Totally meaningless.

We shall see in the month ahead. This is a small part of a much bigger gripe of mine that the ChiSox should be in FL for ST. I do not see how being in AZ helps the team.

It inflates the ego's of your bats & deflates the ego's of your arms. How does that prepare your team for the regular season? Confidence plays a major role in pitching.

All 5 Twins starters are near or below a 4.00ERA. That inspires their confidence.

What about their AZ experience inspires the confidence of any of our starters?

We shall see in the month ahead.  This is a small part of a much bigger gripe of mine that the ChiSox should be in FL for ST.  I do not see how being in AZ helps the team.

It inflates the ego's of your bats & deflates the ego's of your arms.  How does that prepare your team for the regular season?  Confidence plays a major role in pitching.

All 5 Twins starters are near or below a 4.00ERA.  That inspires their confidence.

What about their AZ experience inspires the confidence of any of our starters?

They play in Arizona because it's warm and not rainy.

Latest News  Mar. 27, 2005 - 5:30 pm et

Juan Gonzalez today was named the Indians' starting right fielder.

He'll probably bat fifth most of the time. Gonzalez can't be counted on to stay healthy, but the possibility that he'll give the Indians four or five good months makes him worth $13-$14 in AL-only leagues.

Latest News  Mar. 27, 2005 - 5:27 pm et

Grady Sizemore will begin the season in Triple-A with the announcement that Juan Gonzalez has made the Indians.

Sizemore is still rather likely to get 300 at-bats and be worth at least $4-$5 this year. Don't forget about him.

Latest News  Mar. 27, 2005 - 4:09 pm et

The Brewers reportedly have placed Brooks Kieschnick on waivers.

Brewers GM Doug Melvin said that at least two clubs have shown some interest in trading for Kieschnick. If that's the case, he's probably not going to clear waivers.

Source:  Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Edited by Jabroni

3B Eric Munson got released by the Twins.

Sox should consider picking him up and let him try resurrecting his game in AAA.

Agreed, but I think he will get a major league deal from someone.

Do you think so? I'd thought the Twins brought him in as a non roster invitee. His stock has really fallen but he definitely has talent.

From what I understand he's a solid citizen too, a good guy.

Do you think so?  I'd thought the Twins brought him in as a non roster invitee.  His stock has really fallen but he definitely has talent.

From what I understand he's a solid citizen too, a good guy.

The reason they let Munson go is because Terry Tiffee beat him out for the roster spot at 3B. The Twins also need room to keep Michael Restovich on their roster. He's a good OF prospect and if they have to cut him they will lose him to a waiver claim.

Edited by Jabroni

Orlando Cabrera went 0-for-4 today and is batting just .139 in 36 at-bats.

Manager Mike Scioscia has started batting Cabrera seventh behind Robb Quinlan in the lineup, but that seems like a temporary alignment. Dallas McPherson can't hit sixth during the regular season since he'd be the third lefty in a row. Cabrera just needs to start hitting and he'll be moved back up in the lineup.

:lolhitting