Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
3B Eric Munson got released by the Twins.

Sox should consider picking him up and let him try resurrecting his game in AAA.

Good idea. The Sox need depth at AAA for a variety of spots, that can't all be solved by trades. The waiver wire could get the sox some depth. Yet quality depth should come via the trade route.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
NOT HOT bats in the ALC (ST-05):

ChiSox: Crede, Dye, AJP, Harris, Gload

Twins: Morneau, Ford, Rivas, Punto

Indians: Martinez, Broussard, Belliard, Gonzo

Tigers: Infante, Higginson, Ordonez (warm 269A)

Royals: Buck, Harvey, DeJesus, Blanco, Stairs, Pickering

NOT HOT arms in the ALC (ST-05): (starters, closers)

ChiSox: Hermanson, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Shingo, Marte, El-Duque

Twins: Crain, Romero

Indians: Betancourt, C Lee, Millwood

Tigers: Maroth, Johnson, Knotts 

Royals: Appier, Greinke, Lima, Hernandez, Affeldt

The Twins look primed to dominate April.  Good ST #'s are meaningless but bad ones usually mean a slow start.  It's possible ChiSox & Royals are victims of AZ but even so that only weakens the confidence of those arms.

Looking at this list the Twins & Tigers are primed for fast starts, the Tribe & Sox off to slow starts, & the Royals lagging in last.

I'd put far more stock in which players were healthy/ injured than who is pitching crappy in spring training games.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
We shall see in the month ahead.  This is a small part of a much bigger gripe of mine that the ChiSox should be in FL for ST.  I do not see how being in AZ helps the team.

It inflates the ego's of your bats & deflates the ego's of your arms.  How does that prepare your team for the regular season?  Confidence plays a major role in pitching.

All 5 Twins starters are near or below a 4.00ERA.  That inspires their confidence.

What about their AZ experience inspires the confidence of any of our starters?

Having poor springs may affect young pitchers. Yet the Sox have a veteran staff who have been through many years of spring training. Many are working on their weak areas. Young pitchers trying to impress or make the team are pitching to their strengths.

Inflated spring ERA's [or low ERA's] won't affect Sox pitchers one way or another.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=6754

Latest News  Mar. 28, 2005 - 1:45 pm et

Padres acquired RHP Tim Redding from the Astros for catcher Humberto Quintero.

Redding was still interesting as an Astro. Now that he's in San Diego, he's an excellent sleeper. He'll most likely open the season as a middle reliever, but there's a chance he'll claim Darrell May's rotation spot either this week or in April.

The Sox originally drafted C Humberto Quintero. We traded him to the Padres in 2002 for D'Angelo Jimenez. :bang

Edited by Jabroni

Jason Grilli - S - Tigers   

Tigers reassigned RHP Jason Grilli and RHP John Ennis to minor league camp.

The Tigers gave some thought to carrying Grilli over Gary Knotts, but with a 6.00 ERA this spring, Grilli did little to pursuade them. Ennis pitched 9 1/3 scoreless innings to put himself in position to be a midseason callup. Mar. 28 - 1:50 pm et

I see Jason didn't make the Tigers, do they really have 11 guys better than him?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
"Andruw Jones hits ninth and 10th homers"

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylc=X3o...0328105&prov=ap

Wow, it's a shame that that Magg$ for Andruw Jones trade rumor of last season didn't happen.  I sure wouldn't have minded an outfield of Pods in LF, Andruw Jones in CF, and Rowand in RF. :crying

I really wanted Andruw Jones too... he would have a monster year here, not only that, the glove baybee.. woulda been nice to see

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)

Wow, it's a shame that that Magg$ for Andruw Jones trade rumor of last season didn't happen.  I sure wouldn't have minded an outfield of Pods in LF, Andruw Jones in CF, and Rowand in RF. :crying

Andruw Jones widened his stance after Willie Mays told him to, suddenly he's hitting the ball harder but he's sure to strikeout 140 times again this year.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
I see Jason didn't make the Tigers, do they really have 11 guys better than him?

It just goes to show you that you can think you are in a better position to win a job, but in the end, you have to get guys out. And so far Jason hasn't done that.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)

Doesn't Jones carry a pretty big contract, though? Meaning, if we traded for him, wouldn't we have had to trade both Lee and Konerko in order to obtain the other players such as Pierz and Hernandez and Iguchi?

Oh, and on Baseball Tonight, I almost puked. Reynolds is such garbage. He said (to the effect) that the Dodgers might be the worst team in the NL West. And, I've never heard "Billy-ball" so much in one day (multiple times from Hawk, and twice from his mouth)...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Doesn't Jones carry a pretty big contract, though?  Meaning, if we traded for him, wouldn't we have had to trade both Lee and Konerko in order to obtain the other players such as Pierz and Hernandez and Iguchi?

Oh, and on Baseball Tonight, I almost puked.  Reynolds is such garbage.  He said (to the effect) that the Dodgers might be the worst team in the NL West.  And, I've never heard "Billy-ball" so much in one day (multiple times from Hawk, and twice from his mouth)...

Yes, Jones does have a "healthy" contract. Several folks around here were vehement about not wanting to take on that contract during the M

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Yes, Jones does have a "healthy" contract.  Several folks around here were vehement about not wanting to take on that contract during the M

I believe i was one of them considering his contract is the following.

Andruw Jones: 6-Year worth 75M- will make in 2002- 9.5M + 3M signing bonus, in 2003-11.5M, in 2004-12M, in 2005-12.5M, in 2006-13M and in 2007-13.5M.
Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
I believe i was one of them considering his contract is the following.

Gah -- that's one ugly contract.

Yeah, no need for us to get bogged down in a contract like that, especially with Anderson/Sweeney/Young coming to the majors in the next two-three years.

I would, however, have traded Maggs for JD Drew if there was that possibility, though. I doubt it was though, so I won't harp on it, but I'd much rather have Drew than Jones...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
Gah -- that's one ugly contract.

Yeah, no need for us to get bogged down in a contract like that, especially with Anderson/Sweeney/Young coming to the majors in the next two-three years.

I would, however, have traded Maggs for JD Drew if there was that possibility, though.  I doubt it was though, so I won't harp on it, but I'd much rather have Drew than Jones...

I'm not expecting much from Drew this year since he got his contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=5228

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2005 - 4:51 am et

The Rocky Mountain News is reporting that Charles Johnson is on the verge of being traded to Tampa Bay.

A key factor is that Johnson is now willing to waive a $1 million ''reassignment fee'' in order to get a deal done. While moving away from Coors Field is never a good thing for a hitter, Johnson's fantasy stock would rise quite a bit with a trade to the Devil Rays.

Source:  Rocky Mountain News

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=6773

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2005 - 8:07 am et

Manager Alan Trammell said yesterday that Craig Monroe will be Detroit's Opening Day center fielder.

Monroe will likely either bat in the #7 or #8 spot in the lineup. The competition to be his backup is down to Alexis Gomez, Nook Logan and DeWayne Wise.

Source:  Detroit Free Press

Latest News Mar. 29, 2005 - 8:31 am et

White Sox GM Kenny Williams doesn't think a mid-April return for Frank Thomas is likely.

“I’d be thrilled if we were able to send Frank on a rehab assignment to [Triple-A] Charlotte in mid-April,’’ Williams said. “Thrilled. He needs to go down and get himself about 100 at-bats, then he should be ready to come back to the big leagues.'' That would put Thomas on track for a mid-May return, at the earliest.

Source: Arlington Heights Daily Herald

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...ort=MLB&id=5307

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2005 - 1:54 pm et

Cardinals left-hander Mike Myers revealed that he's on the verge of being traded back to the Red Sox.

It's still being determined what the Cardinals will get in return. It certainly won't be much.

Edited by Jabroni

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...ort=MLB&id=5321

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2005 - 8:27 am et

The Tigers are discussing a trade that would send Bobby Higginson to the Marlins.

The two sides are negotiating how to divide Higginson's $8.85 million contract for this season. The Miami Herald reports that Juan Encarnacion's name has been discussed and the Tigers may be interested in him as their center fielder.

Source:  Miami Herald

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...=138109&id=6416

Latest News  Mar. 29, 2005 - 4:05 am et

The Twins continue to talk as if Michael Restovich will be traded.

Restovich, who is out of options, would have to pass through waivers in order for Minnesota to send him to the minors. Because of that, they may trade him rather than risk losing him for nothing. ''It's a situation where we have to do what is best for the ballclub,'' manager Ron Gardenhire said. ''It's also a situation where he may need to go somewhere else where he can play every day.''

Source:  Minneapolis Star-Tribune