Favre coming back

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Brett Favre to play next year and maybe more if his health holds up.  Bears fans around the world are pissed.

I'm not.

I love #4. Growing up a quarterback, I have idolized Brett for years now.

We won't see another one like him for a long, long time. Enjoy Favre, he's a dying breed.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
i didn't mean like pissed in a real serious way.  Your right he is the last of his kind.  Hell he has thrown more tochdowns at solider field than anyone, i could be wrong.

Nope, I think you are correct. I'm pretty sure he holds the record for most thrown td's in Solider Field.

Just wondering though, do you have a link to this story? I'd love to read it.

Thanks.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Good I can't wait until Ogu, AB, and Tommie get some good licks on him with there terrible OLine without Wahle and Rivera.

Terrible O-Line? They were one of the Top lines last year and that was without Mike Flannagan for nearly all of the season. They still have Tauscher there and Clifton to protect Favre's blindside. Flanny will come back and I assume he will either play Center or be shifted to Guard.

It isn't like they are losing a tackle or something like that. Rivera is 32 and 33 when the season starts I believe. The guy has two extremely bad knees and will not last for the full length of his contract on the turf in Dallas. I can guarantee that.

With Wahle, yes he was a great Guard but he can be replaced. And I have read a lot of things saying he is a versatile lineman. Well, they tested him at Tackle and he fell flat on his face. I love the guy as much as anyone but I would not pay him Tackle money to stay in GB and play Guard.

Guards are a lot easier to replace than Tackles and the Pack did the smart thing and locked both of their Tackles up for a few more years. With Wells, a possible free agent and a draft pick plus the depth they already have on the line I am not too worried at all. They were easily a top 3 line last year and I don't think they will lose a lot of ground this year. They will be in the top 10 once again i'm sure.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Who exactly will they be placing at guard, since it's so easy to replace.

Flanny might get a shot if they move him over from Center and let Wells play Center. There have been talks that they might let Kevin Barry have a shot at the position as well. They have an interview set up with Pork Chop Womack for tomorrow, they re-signed Brad Bedell and he will be given a shot as well.

It is also no secret that the Pack will use at least one draft pick on the Guard position. I can't predict the future either as UFA's and roster cuts go later in the spring and summer. They have plenty of options and I have no doubt that Thompson will do everything in his power to cover the position more than adequately.

It isn't all about the big names when it comes to the O-line. Can you name the starting O-Line of the Pat's for the past Superbowl off the top of your head?

Thompson is a Ron Wolf protege. They have a system of rating positional importance. You guessed it, Guard is right at the bottom of the list. Just browse over the draft selections from the past few years. The Guards drafted that are starters are usually at the bottom of the heap.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
This should get good, gonna grab some popcorn.

:lolhitting

I'm not going to bother responding to what Rangercal said. Favre's stats speak for themself last season. If just saying the guy sucks with nothing to back it up there is no point in trying to have a discussion with the guy.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Nope, I think you are correct.  I'm pretty sure he holds the record for most thrown td's in Solider Field.

Just wondering though, do you have a link to this story?  I'd love to read it.

Thanks.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/b..._20177963.shtml

dont know if someone gave you a link

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
:lolhitting

I'm not going to bother responding to what Rangercal said.  Favre's stats speak for themself last season.  If just saying the guy sucks with nothing to back it up there is no point in trying to have a discussion with the guy.

I see a big difference between 90's favre and favre now. The pack should think about rebuilding. They are not going to win anything with him. He is a middle of the pack qb in the league right now. Hes getting older and I really dont think he's worth 10 million dollars. Give craig nall a shot. They will rebuild when its too late and be the packers of the 80's again. Detroit will have a better record than GB this year and Favre will retire a loser. This is ahman greens team now.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
I'd say he's right on the border of the top 10 QB's, could go either way.

If he is top 10 it is only because the majority of the starting QBs in the NFL are relatively young and you can't say they are better than him quite yet. There also seems to be very bad QB play in the NFL, which is why Favre would be in the top 10. To say he is still a top 10 or top 5 QB is not a statement that I would make in order to prove that Favre is still a good QB. He is not half the QB that he once was. That is the same reason that a team is willing to pay Warner 4 million a year to be a starter for their team and why Trent Dilfer and Drew Bledsoe are still starters in the NFL. There just isn't much out there. I would say AT LEAST a third of the league will have a starting QB entering their 4th season or less as an NFL starter. That is a pretty damn young league. That is why Favre is still in the top ten or even top 5. Manning, Brady, Culpepper, McNabb, Favre?

All of the following QBs have less then 4 years of starting QB experience entering this year. There may be even more than this. This makes is very hard to tell if they are as good or better than Favre at the present time.

Chad Pennington

Rex Grossman

Michael Vick

Drew Brees

Ben Rothlisberger

Eli Manning

Joey Harrington

Carson Palmer

Byron Leftwich

J. P. Losman

David Carr

San Fran QB - Rookie or Rattay

Just based on what I've seen, throwing the numbers completely out the window and guessing how my Top 10 QBs will be ranked once the 2005 season comes to a close:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Donovan McNabb

3. Michael Vick

4. Tom Brady

5. Daunte Culpepper

6-10 in no particular order

Drew Brees

Chad Pennington

Ben Roethlisberger

David Carr

Carson Palmer

Palmer tore s*** up in his last 6 games with a 100+ rating. Carr kinda faded down the stretch, but he's just too damn good not to put up an 85 to 90 rating in what will be his 4th season. Pennington has a career rating of 94, so he could be the most underrated QB in the league because you rarely ever hear him mentioned when people (other than NY Jets fans) talk about elite QBs.