Albuquerque Bracket

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
Louisville really really intriuges me. Im having a hard time figuring out where they fit in. Right now Im thinkin of havin them beat GT but lose to Wake. I really want to put Louis. over Wake but i just cant do it. What do u guys think

I've got them in the Elite 8, just because I've seen them over and over.

Their losses: by 5 to Iowa in Maui, at home by 2 to UK, a bad home loss to Memphis and a loss by 3 on the road earlier in the year at Houston.

They were clearly penalized for scheduling a weak non-conference schedule and for their conference being the 5th or maybe 6th best in the country.

I think you'd be wise to put them farther along in your bracket, although the second round game against Georgia Tech does seem like an awful hard matchup.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
I've got them in the Elite 8, just because I've seen them over and over.

Their losses: by 5 to Iowa in Maui, at home by 2 to UK, a bad home loss to Memphis and a loss by 3 on the road earlier in the year at Houston.

They were clearly penalized for scheduling a weak non-conference schedule and for their conference being the 5th or maybe 6th best in the country.

I think you'd be wise to put them farther along in your bracket, although the second round game against Georgia Tech does seem like an awful hard matchup.

o i got them in the Elite 8 as well. Im just thinkin about their chances of beatin wake. what do u think

I put Louisville in the Final Four. I like their chances against everyone they face in that bracket. Very few teams can match the scoring ability of Garcia, Dean, and O'Bannon on the perimeter, and Myles and Palacios are decent players inside. They can definitely keep up with Washington, and I think they can slow down Wake enough to take it.

QUOTE(shagar69 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
o i got them in the Elite 8 as well. Im just thinkin about their chances of beatin wake. what do u think

Who knows, although if O'Bannon shoots well, Garcia plays like he is capable, Dean plays well and their inside guys hold their own, they can beat anybody.

i just decided to put louisville in the final four too, lol. After thinkin it over and taking into account that pitino is a good coach which IMO is a huge factor plus the fact that im sure he will play the we got dissed card, so his team will be out to prove something to the committee and the country. And the fact that so many people like Wake scares me too, lol.

I really think Louisville can beat anyone if things are going their way. I think they are really similar to the Illini, although not as good in the ball handling department. They can absolutely kill teams from the perimeter, and their guys inside are good enough to slow down the other team's studs inside and pick up some easy baskets every once in a while. However, because they don't have that true PG, I got them going down to the Illini. I really can't believe they got a 4 seed, I thought they were a lock for a 3 with a potential 2 going into the last weekend.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
The Ville got hosed majorly.

How did they get hosed? Would you rather them be a 3-seed and have to face Wake Forest or Washington in the Elite 8? Granted their 2nd round game is tougher than Gonzaga's, but I like their long run chances better where they are.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
How is Louisville's defense?  I think UofL can score with Wake, but they'd have a better shot if they can D up and make Wake work harder for their points.  Wake doesn't play much D, so I think Louisville's D could be the difference.

Pittsburgh is the olny team in this entire region that plays defense... And they play a very physical game, if the refs choose to call a close game, they'll lose every time.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Pittsburgh is the olny team in this entire region that plays defense... And they play a very physical game, if the refs choose to call a close game, they'll lose every time.

That's not true at all. Pitt, gtech, and Louisville are all good defensive teams.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
How is Louisville's defense?  I think UofL can score with Wake, but they'd have a better shot if they can D up and make Wake work harder for their points.  Wake doesn't play much D, so I think Louisville's D could be the difference.

Very solid defensively, especially on the perimeter.

And how did they get hosed you ask, Rex?

They are 29-4, won their conference and conference tournament, are ranked #4 in BOTH polls and have an RPI of 12, in their last 19 games, they are 18-1, now how does that compute to being a 4 seed.

One more thing to consider, average scoring margin this season in the NCAA:

1) UNC 18.5 points average margin

2) Louisville 18.0 points average margin

3) Illinois 17.3 points average margin

That's some damn good company to be in if you ask me.

At worst they should have been a 3 seed and they should have easily been a solid number two. Even Pitino himself agrees with that and he is not one to complain.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)

They are 29-4, won their conference and conference tournament, are ranked #4 in BOTH polls and have an RPI of 12, in their last 19 games, they are 18-1, now how does that compute to being a 4 seed.

At worst they should have been a 3 seed and they should have easily been a solid number two.  Even Pitino himself agrees with that and he is not one to complain.

Aboz, this is what I found interesting. Just comparing Louisville to Washington. Both cusa and the pac 10 are 4 bid leagues, Louisville won both the regular season and conference tourny in cusa while washington just won the tourny in the pac 10. Not only that Louisville has less losses and less conference losses then Washington. Yet somehow Washington is a 1 and Louisville a 4, doesn't make any sense to me, Louisville should be atleast a 2, imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
That's not true at all.  Pitt, gtech, and Louisville are all good defensive teams.

Louisville could be considered a good defensive team, they're long. They've got a lot of taller guys at sharter positions, but they're far from physical on the inside.

GT? The ACC is allergic to defense.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)

One more thing to consider, average scoring margin this season in the NCAA:

1) UNC 18.5 points average margin

2) Louisville 18.0 points average margin

3) Illinois 17.3 points average margin

That's some damn good company to be in if you ask me.

At worst they should have been a 3 seed and they should have easily been a solid number two.  Even Pitino himself agrees with that and he is not one to complain.

I understand all of that and am not disagreeing with you. My comment was more targeted to the fact that for a four seed, they got a pretty good draw. They could have a tough 2nd round game, but I think they would be in a very good position to beat Washington if Pacific/Pitt doesn't beat them to it.

I do agree that Washington is weak as a #1 seed. I looked at their schedule and they have 0 quality road wins that I could find. They lost at UCLA, they lost at Stanford, they lost at Arizona, at Gonzaga and even at Oregon St. Their quality wins were Utah, Oklahoma and Alabama on a neutral court basically a week into the season, and Arizona at home and in the Pac 10 tourney. They did beat Stanford, UCLA and NC State but all at home.

While Utah, Oklahoma and Alabama were all good wins, but a team that returns all five starters from the season before should have an advantage that early in the season. They beat Alabama by 3 points while Alabama was breaking in a freshman point guard. Factor those things in, I just don't see them as a #1 seed either.