Ron Kittle's Book and Barry Bonds

I read Kittle's book last night. For the most part it's pretty light reading, maybe not the best baseball book you'll ever read, but if you want to relive the 1983 team, or learn more about Kittle, it's fine. Co-written by Bob Logan, the book's official title is Ron Kittle's Tales from the White Sox Dugout, and the publisher is Sports Publishing L.L.C., website www.SportsPublishingLLC.com.

Now, as for Barry Bonds. Kittle says that over the years, Ron has bought game used jerseys and taken them to the player for an autograph, in order to auction the shirt off for his charity golf outing. He says that every player he has approached has cooperated, mentioning McGwire, Sosa, Jeter and Clemens. Every player but one. Kittle writes that in 1992:

"I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, 'Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help.' Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words."

Kittle talks about Matt Williams and Dusty Baker calming him down after Bonds walked away. He concludes by saying "So if Barry Bonds is looking for a breath of fresh air to live and I'm the one who has to give it to him, unfortunately, the man will die."

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 06:55 AM)
"I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, 'Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help.' Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words."

Me and Bonds have a lot in common...I don't sign autographs for white people either. Small World. :bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 06:34 AM)
Interesting story by Kittle.  I'm amazed that media didn't jump all over it. Like they did when Jimmy the Greek made his comments ... so on and so forth.

Touche pussycat... ;)

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
I read Kittle's book last night. For the most part it's pretty light reading, maybe not the best baseball book you'll ever read, but if you want to relive the 1983 team, or learn more about Kittle, it's fine. Co-written by Bob Logan, the book's official title is Ron Kittle's Tales from the White Sox Dugout, and the publisher is Sports Publishing L.L.C., website www.SportsPublishingLLC.com.

Now, as for Barry Bonds. Kittle says that over the years, Ron has bought game used jerseys and taken them to the player for an autograph, in order to auction the shirt off for his charity golf outing. He says that every player he has approached has cooperated, mentioning McGwire, Sosa, Jeter and Clemens. Every player but one. Kittle writes that in 1992:

Kittle talks about Matt Williams and Dusty Baker calming him down after Bonds walked away. He concludes by saying "So if Barry Bonds is looking for a breath of fresh air to live and I'm the one who has to give it to him, unfortunately, the man will die."

what a puke... but the way I look at it... the owner of the giants is white so he works for the man.... :finger

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
what a puke...  but the way I look at it... the owner of the giants is white so he works for the man.... :finger

And makes 10X more than him.. somehow I don't think Barry minds working for the "idiot white man" who signs his checks..

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
barry's lawyer and accountant are probably white...  does he have a white girlfriend?

His former 'white' girlfriend is the one who testified to the Grand Jury that he admitted using steroids. Also, his kid looks like he is half white.

The guy is just an all around hypocrit...

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)

If this is in his book then Kittle needs to edit this passage. In 1992 Barry Bonds was still a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1993 he was on the Giants and Matt Williams was a teammate and Dusty Baker was his manager.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
If this is in his book then Kittle needs to edit this passage. In 1992 Barry Bonds was still a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1993 he was on the Giants and Matt Williams was a teammate and Dusty Baker was his manager.

The book could use a good editor. There are times when he repeats himself, such as the fact that in the minors Kittle and Walker were called "Swat and Sweet", and he refers to Willie Thompson as being alive, and I'm pretty sure he's not. So your point is a good one.

2 stories

Someone I knew (huge Cub fan) told me a similar story. I guess they were staying at the same hotel as the Cubs during ST. I guess a white kid came up to Shawn Dunston and asked him for his autograph and he said 'No, I don't sign autographs for white kids". I tend to belive it since it came from a Cub fan. One of the worst stories I ever heard.

Someone I knew who was a cabbie in the 80's told me he picked up Ryne Sandberg once. The cabbie's son is a huge Cub fan, so he strikes up a conversation with Ryno. Five seconds into him telling Ryno that his kid loves the Cubs and idolizes him etc., Ryno interrupts him and 'Hey, can you turn the radio up'?

I guess athletes can be jerks........like everyone else. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
2 stories

Someone I knew (huge Cub fan) told me a similar story. I guess they were staying at the same hotel as the Cubs during ST. I guess a white kid came up to Shawn Dunston and asked him for his autograph and he said 'No, I don't sign autographs for white kids".  I tend to belive it since it came from a Cub fan. One of the worst stories I ever heard.

Someone I knew who was a cabbie in the 80's told me he picked up Ryne Sandberg once. The cabbie's son is a huge Cub fan, so he strikes up a conversation with Ryno. Five seconds into him telling Ryno that his kid loves the Cubs and idolizes him etc., Ryno interrupts him and 'Hey, can you turn the radio up'?

I guess athletes can be jerks........like everyone else.  :huh

When I was a kid Frank Thomas gave me the brushoff outside Wrigley Field. That would be Frank Thomas then of the Cubs and the year was 1960. The same Frank Thomas who swung a bat at Dick Allen when they both played on the Phillies.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 06:34 AM)
Interesting story by Kittle.  I'm amazed that media didn't jump all over it. Like they did when Jimmy the Greek made his comments ... so on and so forth.

The thing with Jimmy the Greek was that he was drunk when he made those comments and he was largely right anyways. He was a victim of political correctness.

QUOTE(trexer @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
The thing with Jimmy the Greek was that he was drunk when he made those comments and he was largely right anyways.  He was a victim of political correctness.

Yes, he was correct. But Dusty Baker or Barry Bonds can speak in a similar vein, and no one calls them out on it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
2 stories

Someone I knew (huge Cub fan) told me a similar story. I guess they were staying at the same hotel as the Cubs during ST. I guess a white kid came up to Shawn Dunston and asked him for his autograph and he said 'No, I don't sign autographs for white kids".  I tend to belive it since it came from a Cub fan. One of the worst stories I ever heard.

I guess athletes can be jerks........like everyone else.  :huh

I'm not saying that Shawon Dunston story isnt true but I've met him a few times and he is a REALLY REALLY nice guy. Got his autograph about 10 years ago myself and yes I'm white...

Barry is among the elite players to have ever played the game but he's one of the moodiest SOB's to have ever played the game. I'm guessing Kittle caught him on a very bad day.

As many of you have pointed out he obviously has/had white people in his life whom he respected & trusted. I don't think we should let one of his moody quotes overshadow that.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Barry is among the elite players to have ever played the game but he's one of the moodiest SOB's to have ever played the game.  I'm guessing Kittle caught him on a very bad day. 

As many of you have pointed out he obviously has/had white people in his life whom he respected & trusted.  I don't think we should let one of his moody quotes overshadow that.

f*** that. Barry Bonds is a racist pig.

I see your point about the double standard for Bonds.

I'm no shrink, but Bonds is for better or worse, a very interesting guy. I get the feeling that the guy has some kind of guilt for having grown up privileged. Kinda like he doesn't feel he's 'black' enough and the only way to get that feeling is to make racially charged statements. I can't really articulate what I mean. He's socially inept in interviews when he tries to come off as a nice guy and has a lot of misdirected anger.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I'm not saying that Shawon Dunston story isnt true but I've met him a few times and he is a REALLY REALLY nice guy. Got his autograph about 10 years ago myself and yes I'm white...

That's what I've heard. I have a hard time believing he would say something like that. That story definitely caught me as odd.

I generally don't like when people complain about someone not signing autographs, but I have to. I was at a Sox spring game this year, and after the game (it was at Oakland's home stadium) there were maybe 30 Sox fans waiting for the players next to the bus. Konerko walked out (full uniform - didn't play in the game) and got on the bus without even glancing at the fans. He was, maybe, the fifth guy out, so he had to wait on the bus for everyone who played to shower, etc. Totally "big-timed" the fans. I wasn't looking for autographs, just trying to get my 5 year interested in baseball. He got a few from minor leaguers, so it didn't really make a difference, but I just kind of thought PK was a jerk. Sorry, had to vent.

From what I hear and I thought even Barry admitted it once, Bonds was a real asshole to everyone when he played for Pittsburgh, I think he smartened up a bit when he went to San Fran. I know a girl who was a batgirl for the Pirates one time and all the players, shook her hand and signed things for her except one.