Silva gone!

Reddy

this should help us out somewhat, from rotoworld:

Carlos Silva - S - MIN

Twins placed RHP Carlos Silva on the 15-day disabled list with a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Though it wasn't been reported, Silva's sore knee obviously kept getting worse and worse. If he needs surgery, it's likely he'll miss six weeks. The Twins could always turn back to Terry Mulholland, but they should choose Scott Baker as Silva's replacement in the rotation. If it happens, Baker would be worth picking up in AL-only leagues. Apr. 9 - 6:06 pm et

edit: maybe this should be in the sports bar but it's somewhat relevant... lol

Edited by Reddy

Carlos Silva will undergo surgery to repair a torn meniscus and isn't expected back until after the All-Star break.

Eight weeks of recovery time and then four weeks to build back up his arm strength. Surprisingly, the Twins will turn to lefty David Gassner to be their fifth starter with Silva out. Scott Baker or Matt Guerrier would have been better choices in our opinion. It wouldn't be a surprise if they run through a few fifth starters while Silva heals. Apr. 9 - 6:48 pm et

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Carlos Silva will undergo surgery to repair a torn meniscus and isn't expected back until after the All-Star break.

Eight weeks of recovery time and then four weeks to build back up his arm strength. Surprisingly, the Twins will turn to lefty David Gassner to be their fifth starter with Silva out. Scott Baker or Matt Guerrier would have been better choices in our opinion. It wouldn't be a surprise if they run through a few fifth starters while Silva heals. Apr. 9 - 6:48 pm et

Hopefully they get a taste of the fifth starter collapse we have been having the past few years and see how hard it is to win a division without one. Its not good to be happy someone is hurt but the sox have been plagued by injuries before preventing us from winning the division, now its our turn to capitalize on this oppurtunity. :gosox1:

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)

Eight weeks of recovery time and then four weeks to build back up his arm strength.

I never root for players to get injured, but I can always make exceptions when Twins are involved.

:cheers :gosox3:

Now let's see how the Twinkies handle having someone different as their 5th starter. Will they crash and burn like we did last season? Will be definitely something to be keeping an eye on, especially with Joe Mays in the 4 spot as well. They'll need Lohse to step up.

I think you can put a fork in them with this news. He had the best start in the rotation this year, and was coming off a 14-8 year. Only 8 losses in 30+ starts is damn good. The backend of their rotation with Lohse now having to move up to 3rd can't compete with the Tigs, the Tribe, nor us. It might even be challenged by the Roys. Mays wasn't even pegged as the 5th starter before this happened. Now this AAA kid is going to be their #4?

They could be 10 gms back before they get healthy, Santana puts on his Cy Young cape & Radke resembles an all-star pitcher. The WSox are too good to let them catch up this year.

This is interesting. We are definitely the healthiest team out of the four expected to compete for the Central. I think as it stands, only the Indians have a rotation that stands up to ours (even if one goes down, I'm confident in B-Mac, who might be better than Garland RIGHT NOW), and that's only if the USS Sabathia gets healthy. I think the tigers are doing good things, but I don't think they have the pitching to be serious contenders.

Then again, with so many games against the Twins in August and September, maybe it won't even matter because they'll be healthy by then and if we aren't playing well, then they could make up ground then.

QUOTE(MoreCowbell @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Then again, with so many games against the Twins in August and September, maybe it won't even matter because they'll be healthy by then and if we aren't playing well, then they could make up ground then.

It's hard to make up ground when your 20 games out of first... :bringit

im excited. i love how everyone always disses our "injury prone" rotation while the rest of the division is going down... we get no respect and i love it because it's gonna make this season that much sweeter!