My how times have changed.

southsider2k5

Did anyone ever dream we would see a story like this?

Team Harmony recruited another member Saturday night—Ken Williams.

The White Sox general manager was returning to his Minneapolis hotel after a postgame dinner when he walked by a tavern.

The leery Williams was talked into stopping for some hydration and socializing by 10 of his players.

"They waved me in and insisted on me staying," Williams said Monday. "You just don't see that very often. It's a different spirit, not in comparison to last year's team. It's in comparison to many, many teams."

Yet the distance between the 2005 Sox and the 2004 team that included since-departed Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin appears to be widening.

"We had good players," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We didn't have a good club.

"Everyone had a different way to play the game, a different way to go about their business, and it was the wrong way. It's my opinion, and I don't try to hurt anyone's feelings, but this team on and off the field will be the same.

"And we spend too many days together, we'd better get along with each other."

It also helps that the Sox won their first two games in dramatic style, with various players sharing the credit.

"The way we're going to play, we're not going to beat ourselves," Guillen said. "That didn't happen in the past. They don't beat us, we beat ourselves. Make an error, throw the wrong pitch, have the wrong guy in the wrong position.

"I want to see this team when we struggle. But I have that confidence that we'll stick together when we struggle."

Williams also was encouraged that his batters are committed to moving runners, as opposed to the all-or-nothing slugging approach of last year. He also says the Sox's starting rotation can stand up to any rotation.

But the players' attitude merely fuels Williams' confidence in the team he reconstructed in the off-season.

"I'm a little less hesitant to talk about it because it's an indictment of people who are no longer here and deserve more than that," Williams said. "I prefer just to say that for whatever reason, this group of guys is just different from last year."

The team will spend Tuesday night at a popular steakhouse—on their day off.

Sometimes I can't tell if we're more excited about 2005, or bitter about 2004. I'm tired of the scapegoating. This season would be a lot more enjoyable if Ozzie and KW would just let it go.

"I want to see this team when we struggle."

I for one would be perfectly happy if I never see that.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
The team will spend Tuesday night at a popular steakhouse—on their day off.

They should all pretend to go to the restroom at the same time and leave Crede with the check.

They should haze Crede by putting his head in the toilet and flushing it...maybe that will wake him up...what is it called...a swirlie?

Sometimes I can't tell if we're more excited about 2005, or bitter about 2004.  I'm tired of the scapegoating.  This season would be a lot more enjoyable if Ozzie and KW would just let it go.

AGreed, Leave last year in the past and move on.. I hear more about Maggs.Lee and Jose than I do about Hernandez, Iguchi or Pods..Worry about this years team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
And their fans would do the Sox proud as well :cheers  :drink

For all the talk of Cub fans and their beer-swilling. There is no doubt that Sox fans could talk the Cub fans in a drinking contest.

And in a fight, I would surely talk our shirtless, tattooed, mullet-headed fans over their flip-flop sandals and floppy hat wearing fans.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
For all the talk of Cub fans and their beer-swilling. There is no doubt that Sox fans could talk the Cub fans in a drinking contest.

And in a fight, I would surely talk our shirtless, tattooed, mullet-headed fans over their flip-flop sandals and floppy hat wearing fans.

And that is just the female Sox fans.

I am convinced that if Frank and Maggs had not been lost when they were last year, this team would have won the division and got into the playoffs

People can believe what they want, but it is amazing how people just forget that little piece of fact that was most instrumental for our slide last year in the 2nd half

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
For all the talk of Cub fans and their beer-swilling. There is no doubt that Sox fans could talk the Cub fans in a drinking contest.[/color]

Not if it was wine coolers and Zimas.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
AGreed, Leave last year in the past and move on.. I hear more about Maggs.Lee and Jose than I do about Hernandez, Iguchi or Pods..Worry about this years team.

ozzie just wants to show everyone what he did this offseason will help the team, but it doesnt matter what other people think as long as we keep winning, i would rather win with scoring runs on the other teams error then losing a game while everyone else hits home runs

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)

It's probably the media who is obsessing over last year's team and not Ozzie and Kenny. Stupid media. :P They just don't know how to let go.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Sometimes I can't tell if we're more excited about 2005, or bitter about 2004.  I'm tired of the scapegoating.  This season would be a lot more enjoyable if Ozzie and KW would just let it go.

I took Ozzie's comment to mean he wanted to see how this team handled adversity/ tough times [which all teams go through during the course of a season--injuries, slumps, illness, etc]. A person's true character is revealed when times are tough, not when things are going well. I didn't think it was directed at last yr's club

We dont see the questions being asked to Kenny. We only see the quotes that are put in an article. I don't think Kenny is harping on last years team. In fact, I think he goes out of his way to try and not hurt feelings. Ozzie keeps getting asked questions as well. It's not like Kenny and Ozzie are calling press conferences to compare last year and this year. Reporters ask questions and they answer. It aint to ruffle players from last years feathers...but when you talk current day positives everyone is going to look at that as....you are comparing it to something else....

I like that they keep mentioning team chemistry. I want them to keep saying it. I want everyone to hear it. I want all the players to read it. I want them all believing in the TEAM concept.