Podsednik news....

bjm676

Sox taking time with Podsednik

With speed affected, outfielder better off resting

CLEVELAND -- If Scott Podsednik ran a little bit slower, he might have been in left field for Wednesday's second game of the three-game series at Jacobs Field against the Indians.

But with Podsednik making a living off of his exceptional speed, and also being counted on to drive the White Sox's new "smart-ball" offense, the team wasn't about to take a chance with his slightly strained right abductor muscle. Pablo Ozuna started in left field, and, despite feeling great improvement from Monday, there's a good chance Podsednik won't be in the lineup for Thursday's series finale.

"We will try to rest him through the rest of the series and reevaluate on Friday," said White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider. "He did rehab today and surprised himself that he was feeling as good as he did.

"With him being a speed guy, he can't play at 80 percent. He can't play at 90 percent. He has to be 98 or 99 percent, and I don't know how you measure that."

Podsednik, who carried a .280 average with four stolen bases into Wednesday's contest, felt slight soreness in the right groin area prior to leading the White Sox to victory during Cleveland's home opener Monday. But he aggravated the injury while stealing second base in the sixth inning and left the game one inning later.

According to the 29-year-old, fleet-footed left-hander, it's simply a case of adding in a few exercises during his workouts to focus more on the area that was strained. But Podsednik does not believe it's a problem that will linger, or one that will keep him out of action into this weekend's home series against Seattle.

"It's a matter of neglect in some of those areas, while I was trying to do some strengthening," Podsednik said. "It's a matter of throwing some of those exercises into my routine and strengthening those areas."

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)

I posted this elsewhere but it still applies

It's kind of picky but the article said the abductor muscle. These are the muscles usually associated with hip pointers not the groin muscles. The adductors are the groin. Ihope the writer just got it wrong like they usually do, otherwise the problem is worse then they thought.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
I posted this elsewhere but it still applies

It's kind of picky but the article said the abductor muscle. These are the muscles usually associated with hip pointers not the groin muscles. The adductors are the groin. Ihope the writer just got it wrong like they usually do, otherwise the problem is worse then they thought.

Are you in medicine, btw? You seem to know something about these things.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Are you in medicine, btw?  You seem to know something about these things.

I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer who has worked in the MLB and minors in the past.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Thanks, just curious.  I think you were in on the steroids hearing thread too (too lazy to look it up now).  Interesting info...

I was indeed, been involved with many patients mixed up with that stuff.

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I am so glad we have depth everywhere.  Ozuna seems to take Pods' place fairly well, so I don't think we're gonna miss a beat when it comes to putting together quality games for victories.

It's nice to have total confidence in a team.

ya ozunas really impressed me..i didnt get a chance to catch many ST games but obviously ozuna had a great spring with the bat but whats impressed me those most is his ability to get on with the bunt..very alex sanchezesq like.. kids got wheels and defines the term "small" or "smart" ball for our beloved sox!! keep it up boys

6-2

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
ya ozunas really impressed me..i didnt get a chance to catch many ST games but obviously ozuna had a great spring with the bat but whats impressed me those most is his ability to get on with the bunt..very alex sanchezesq like.. kids got wheels and defines the term "small" or "smart" ball for our beloved sox!! keep it up boys

6-2

The greatest part of that is that Ozuna can keep the opposing pitcher guessing, which takes away from his ability to throw an effective pitch. This catching the opposing pitcher off guard could effect his composure for the rest of the inning as well, which, it kinda did tonight.

SMART ball is working thus far, and I'm LOVING it!

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
timo had an ugly start, hopefully pods is back soon.

I'm going to the game tomorrow. I'll puke if I see Timo manning LF. I'd really like to see Ozuna and Harris in the lineup, giving Iguchi and Perez the day off. Let Harris lead off, with Ozuna hitting second. Ozzie should love that, lots of speed with good contact in the two hole -- he can certainly do a lot of hit-and-runs with those two...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
I'm going to the game tomorrow.  I'll puke if I see Timo manning LF.  I'd really like to see Ozuna and Harris in the lineup, giving Iguchi and Perez the day off.  Let Harris lead off, with Ozuna hitting second.  Ozzie should love that, lots of speed with good contact in the two hole -- he can certainly do a lot of hit-and-runs with those two...

Ya but willie would have to get on base first, before you could do a hit and run.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Ya but willie would have to get on  base first, before you could do a hit and run.

which Willie HAS been doing lately when called upon.

I'd like Ozuna to be our everyday starter until Pods is 100% ready to play. Timo is best in pinch-hitting situations--a great bat to have off the bench. But, I don't think Timo should be starting very often. No more than a few "spot" starts for him. I'd personally like to see Iggy as much as possible; however, I am not going to cower if I see Willie out there. Willie could play CF in a pinch as well.