Neal Focking Cotts

sox-r-us

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Last year he played the outfield and sucked, also I found him very unclutch.  Don't like him, doesn't really matter why, just like others don't like timo. Gload is not as good as everyone thinks.

Gload 2004 Splits.

Runners On - .308/.369/.439

Scoring Position - .397/.465/.603

On Second - .421/.476/.737

On Third - .400/.400/.600

Bases Loaded - .615/.571/.692

Men On, 2 Out - .326/.431/.488

Man On Third,

Lead Off Inning - .442/.478/.605

Scoring Posn, 2 Out - .360/.484/.600

Close And Late - .333/.395/.410

Which games were you watching?

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Yeah most of the threads are useless but uh, Neal always has bad outings.. and he really just isnt that good.. so I agree with this one..

career ERA in the 6's.. come on man, hes not that good

Well, considering 2003 was his 1st taste of big league action, & last year was his 1st full year in the bigs without a defined role until late, I'm willing to be a bit more lenient. Now if he struggles like this for the entire year, then maybe you rethink his future with this team after the year ends. But he gets the benefit of the doubt for 2005.

Gload 2004 Splits.

Man On Third, <2 Out - .471/.500/.588

Cool, ganging up on quick! :fight

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Gload 2004 Splits.

Man On Third,

throw all the numbers you want. I hate the man. Lets wait until this year is over and he is batting 240. Nice stats though, you friends with juggernut? with these stats he should be playing instead of Konerko..right?

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Well, considering 2003 was his 1st taste of big league action, & last year was his 1st full year in the bigs without a defined role until late, I'm willing to be a bit more lenient.  Now if he struggles like this for the entire year, then maybe you rethink his future with this team after the year ends.  But he gets the benefit of the doubt for 2005.

Fair enough, he bounced around for a reason.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)
I don't mean to attack, but I remember finding him extremely clutch, as seen by those splits.

I don't think your attacking, you raise a good defense. Lets wait and see this year. I don't think he is a great ballplayer. Not my choice.

with these stats he should be playing instead of Konerko..right?

Wait ... is Konerko on the team still?? :drink :drink

I will say this about Gload. I don't think he's gonna get as many at bats this year. I wonder how much of those nice stats came in September when it didn't really matter.

Whatever ... I hope he contributes, he already has defensively.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
Wait ... is Konerko on the team still??  :drink  :drink

I will say this about Gload.  I don't think he's gonna get as many at bats this year.  I wonder how much of those nice stats came in September when it didn't really matter.

Whatever ... I hope he contributes, he already has defensively.

No he won't way too many left handed bats this year. Plus he will not (Should not) play the outfield.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
He has been a minor league FA at least a few times.  If he was that good someone else would have jumped on him who could play him at the major league level.

.304 minor league hitter seems pretty good to me. Lots of players either never get the chance or are stuck behind players. Just because he was passesd up by other teams does not mean he is not a good major league player. He will continue to do so even if it is in limited at-bats.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
Well this is knoerko's last year, are you saying Gload should play first on a regular basis?

Good chance. Milalr and durazo are the only free agent first baseman i would have interest in.

Rafael Palmeiro

Frank Thomas (Player + Team option)

J.T. Snow

Julio Franco

Tim Salmon

Doug Mientkiewicz (Vesting Option) (arb.)

Kevin Millar

Paul Konerko

Dimitri Young (Team Option)

Scott Hatteberg (Team Option)

Eduardo Perez (arb.)

Wil Cordero

Robert Fick

Greg Colbrunn

Mark Sweeney

Tino Martinez (Team Option)

Ruben Sierra

David McCarty

Tony Clark

Travis Lee

Erubiel Durazo

Brian Buchanan

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
.304 minor league hitter seems pretty good to me. Lots of players either never get the chance or are stuck behind players. Just because he was passesd up by other teams does not mean he is not a good major league player. He will continue to do so evenif it is in limited at-bats.

Well then I suppose we have our replacement for Konerko if he leaves. If that turns out to be the case I will indeed cancel my season tickets and watch games on TV, and complain about why people don't go to the games!

Back on the pitching topic, I don't see the Sox being very patient with a reliever who isn't getting the job done (not specific to Neal Cotts).

They are going for it, trying to win. Remember Vizcaino is supposedly very effective vs. left handed hitters. I still see this bullpen lacking two things even though they've had a pretty nice start. One, a rubber arm guy who can go 4-5 innings in a blowout or extra inning situation. Two, a 2nd LH reliever who can throw his breaking stuff for strikes.

I think Cotts has a future in some capacity but it would not surprise me if Williams is looking for a more experienced upgrade for 2005.

I'm with qwerty on this one. Ross is a very good hitter and he's been throughout his career wherever he's been playing. I actually thought ross was a very good clutch hitter last year but everyone to there own.

EDIT: By the way I'd be willing to bet that Neal has an era under 4 for this season.

Edited by Rowand44

I guess one thing I don't understand is how someone can't like Gload. I am not sure I have ever seen him even talk to the media, let alone complain, he has produced everywhere he's been, he is clutch, and he plays 1B quite well. Reminds me a little of John Olerud or Mark Grace all around...and what is wrong with having a player like that?

He's not the best guy out there, but he is a very solid player all around.

I also do not see why someone puts out faceless bashing without even considering the numbers of certain players, yet then brings up how Dye has a .130 average against Piniero...if you are going to avoid numbers like Gload's, avoid all numbers period.

I guess one thing I don't understand is how someone can't like Gload. I am not sure I have ever seen him even talk to the media, let alone complain, he has produced everywhere he's been, he is clutch, and he plays 1B quite well.  Reminds me a little of John Olerud or Mark Grace all around...and what is wrong with having a player like that?

He's not the best guy out there, but he is a very solid player all around.

I also do not see why someone puts out faceless bashing without even considering the numbers of certain players, yet then brings up how Dye has a .130 average against Piniero...if you are going to avoid numbers like Gload's, avoid all numbers period.

This is due to a phenomenon known as Quickus Crabbyum. It is a fairly common occurance, usually like a dreary rainy day or even 2 or 3.

It is also sometimes called "Mule-like Subjectivity", a stubborness trait which accounts for why numbers mean something in one example, but not another.

Under normal circumstances, this phenomenon ends when either a Pabst Blue Ribbon is placed in front of the afflicted individual, or if I am suddenly sucked off the face of the earth.

:lol: :lolhitting