Neal Focking Cotts

sox-r-us

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
The key is making up what you lost in power in different areas.  Grab a few more guys with higher OBP's, improve defensively, and improve your pitching staff (grab a stud reliever).

And, back to what I said about Aubrey Huff -- put me on the "If Crede doesn't pick it up by Mid-June, make a trade for Aubrey Huff" bandwagon. 

Err -- did I just hear a couple days ago that Huff is hurt?

Huff is easily one of my favorite players in the league. Anyway all that i know is he had a flu a month or so ago.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am flabbergasted how everyone seems to think that Ross gload is an allstar. that is what you are doing comparing him to Grace and Olerud. I just cannot see this happening in anyway. This is another thread to save. Ross gload will never be a starting first baseman and if he is for this team, I will no longer participate in purchasing tickets. Please folks, we need to stop thinking small time. Look at our wins this year, if it was not for the home run we would be in last place, The home run won some games and brought us back into games. last night was a good example. Without Konerko's blast we would have been wiped out.Pitchers pitch different to power hitters. power hitters put fear in pitchers. Gload puts fear in nobody.

PS we cannot be the twins. nobody can. Adding a power third baseman and keeping konerko would be the right thing to do, if you want to win.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
I am flabbergasted how everyone seems to think that Ross gload is an allstar. that is what you are doing comparing him to Grace and Olerud. I just cannot see this happening in anyway. This is another thread to save. Ross gload will never be a starting first baseman and if he is for this team, I will no longer participate in purchasing tickets. Please folks, we need to stop thinking small time. Look at our wins this year, if it was not for the home run we would be in last place, The home run won some games and brought us back into games. last night was a good example. Without Konerko's blast we would have been wiped out.Pitchers pitch different to power hitters. power hitters put fear in pitchers. Gload puts fear in nobody.

PS we cannot be the twins. nobody can. Adding a power third baseman and keeping konerko would be the right thing to do, if you want to win.

Hmm, his stats say differently.

Well, if you're gonna just ignore the stats, and believe in what your eyes told you, there's no point in debating this.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
If you extrapolate last years numbers, Gload would've been right at Grace's average season 2B total.

Let's see more than just one year of extrapolated numbers before you call him Mark Grace, is what i'm saying.

I don't want Gload as our starting first baseman unless we have some ridiculously huge power pickup somewhere else.

IMO, people are really overplaying this ozzieball crap right now. It's won us games, and now no one wants power anywhere.

But like quickman wisely points out - The HR has, in fact, won us some games this year. Period.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
The key is making up what you lost in power in different areas.  Grab a few more guys with higher OBP's, improve defensively, and improve your pitching staff (grab a stud reliever).

I don't know that spending on relievers is a great idea. The Phils have been trying that for a while now. I'd rather see the money go to someone who throws 200 innings or plays everyday. Jmho.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
I don't know that spending on relievers is a great idea.  The Phils have been trying that for a while now.  I'd rather see the money go to someone who throws 200 innings or plays everyday.  Jmho.

Yeah, you got a point there.

I'm hoping we can develop our own Brazoban, our own Cordero. Who knows, maybe Paulino Reynoso (I know Jim raved about his stuff) can come up with a huge year.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)

We wouldn't have to rely on the home run to win games if we had a better team average and OBP.

Extrapolating one year of Ross Gload stats and then comparing him to Mark Grace?

Talk about wishful thinking.

What's next, Gload dumps his wife and starts dating Jackie Bange?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Hmm, his stats say differently.

Well, if you're gonna just ignore the stats, and believe in what your eyes told you, there's no point in debating this.

Then he would be a starting first baseman for any team in this league. Which he is not. if your stats are so true then why hasn't a team wanted to trade for him and make him the next Mark Grace. Why has n't the sox just made him there first baseman and trade Konerko?

I think the scouts don't think he can be an everyday excellent player. he will never make it. But you keep putting up those stats. s*** teams should be clamoring for this guy. he is cheap and can be as good as Mark grace.

By the way I say the odds are very good they re-sign Konerko anyway. The decision is made on Crede according to how he does this year. I doubt Josh Fields is ready until 2007 so they may have to bring in a stop gap if Crede doesn't get it done.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Then he would be a starting first baseman for any team in this league. Which he is not. if your stats are so true then why hasn't a team wanted to trade for him and make him the next Mark Grace. Why has n't the sox just made him there first baseman and trade Konerko?

I think the scouts don't think he can be an everyday excellent player. he will never make it. But you keep putting up those stats. s*** teams should be clamoring for this guy. he is cheap and can be as good as Mark grace.

I think a team like Oakland would look at him if they didn't have Hatty, same with Minny if they didn't have Morneau.

I dunno, everywhere he's gone, he's shown he can hit. Until he proves differently, why is he a bad player?

And, I'm not saying we should just make a clean swap of Gload and Konerko. I'd only be for that if we upgraded elsewhere. I think Gload can put up a line of .270/.350, with 15 homers or so, and play much better defense than Konerko.

And, as I said, Konerko isn't worth over eight million (IMHO -- maybe you think he is, maybe you don't), which is what he can ask for.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
By the way I say the odds are very good they re-sign Konerko anyway.  The decision is made on Crede according to how he does this year.  I doubt Josh Fields is ready until 2007 so they may have to bring in a stop gap if Crede doesn't get it done.

You think we are gonna give konerko ten million? You think konerko deserves ten million? Because he will get very close to that if he is even close to last year.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Billy Beane Jr's all over the place in this thread...

Though even Beane wouldn't take one year, extrapolate it, and call him the next Mark Grace.

He's had high 2B totals at every level of play. I don't doubt he could average 35 a year under a full season of play, which is about what Grace did.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
By the way I say the odds are very good they re-sign Konerko anyway.  The decision is made on Crede according to how he does this year.  I doubt Josh Fields is ready until 2007 so they may have to bring in a stop gap if Crede doesn't get it done.

the stop gap guy should have come this year in Joe randa whom I think signed for a million dollars. thats 500k more than crede. (I may be wrong on the salary but close enough) He is a good stop gap guy with some power who knows the A league. Not sayign he is great but he is a stop gap type of player.

i agree I think Konerko signs with the sox for 10 million.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
You think we are gonna give konerko ten million? You think konerko deserves ten million? Because he will get very close to that if he is even close to last year.

I think knowing the market on first baseman and knwoing wahts out there he will get 10 million. Especially if he has another good year. And yes I think the sox will give it too him. No I don't think he is worth it, nor do I think Gload is good.

Don't know what the numbers will be or would be but the Sox like him. It's not a contentious relationship so I think something will get done. Sox need the power and the payroll can support it. I don't like paying any player $10M or whatever but I think they'll ink him.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
I think a team like Oakland would look at him if they didn't have Hatty, same with Minny if they didn't have Morneau.

I dunno, everywhere he's gone, he's shown he can hit.  Until he proves differently, why is he a bad player?

And, I'm not saying we should just make a clean swap of Gload and Konerko.  I'd only be for that if we upgraded elsewhere.  I think Gload can put up a line of .270/.350, with 15 homers or so, and play much better defense than Konerko. 

And, as I said, Konerko isn't worth over eight million (IMHO -- maybe you think he is, maybe you don't), which is what he can ask for.

I think all the teams with one phone call could have had gload. I do not think Kenny heard from anyone on Ross Gload. Nor will he.

the stop gap guy should have come this year in Joe randa whom I think signed for a million dollars. thats 500k more than crede. (I may be wrong on the salary but close enough) He is a good stop gap guy with some power who knows the A league. Not sayign he is great but he is a stop gap type of player.

i agree I think Konerko signs with the sox for 10 million.

Keep that in the back of your mind. I believe Randa signed w/Cincy for one year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Which would be a terribly gross overpayment -- IMHO.

You are right, but he will get it, from us or another team. I think us. I think Maggs is over paid, I think Beltran is over paid, hell I think most of these assholes are over paid. but he will get it.