Mariners @ Sox Game Thread (4/17, 2:05 p.m. CT)

Jabroni

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's notes:

Sox seek sweep over Mariners  :pray

Seattle (5-6) at White Sox (8-3), 2:05 p.m. CT

Coming off one of the shortest games in team history, the White Sox look to sweep their first series of the season after winning their first two at home against the Mariners.

While the White Sox have not swept a series, they are 4-0 in their series this season. A 2-1 win over the Mariners on Saturday almost produced a no-hitter as Mark Buehrle pitched one of the gems of his career. Buehrle struck out 12, a career high, while allowing only three hits -- all to one player, Ichiro.

Freddy Garcia will get the start for the Sox. Garcia is 15-2 in day games with a 2.58 ERA since 2003. He goes up against his former team for only the second time since he was traded away on June 27, 2004.

Pitching matchup

CWS: RHP Freddy Garcia

• 1-0, 1.93 ERA in 2005

• 1-0, 4.05 in 2004 vs. SEA

SEA: RHP Gil Meche

• 0-0, 7.88 ERA in 2005

• 0-0, 7.11 in 2004 vs. MIL

Player to watch: Carl Everett is a career .282 hitter against Seattle. In his only game facing Meche, Everett was 2-3 with an OBP of .800.

Quotable: "I didn't know it was that fast. It was their pitcher too. If we're out there getting a bunch of hits and walking guys, getting guys on base then it's going to be a long game. I just go out there and do what I can do to try to get everybody out of here." -- Mark Buehrle on Saturday's 1:39 game

On television

• CWS: Comcast SportsNet

• SEA: Fox Sports Net

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio AM 1000

• SEA: KOTO

Quick hits: Joe Crede went 1-3 to extend his hitting streak to seven games. ... The Sox are off to their best start since 1982 (9-2). ... The Sox have won eight straight vs. the Mariners for the first time since winning nine in a row from 5/10-7/31/94. ... Saturday was the 15th complete game of Buehrle's career.

On deck:

• Monday: Twins at White Sox, 7:05 p.m. CT

• Tuesday: Twins at White Sox, 7:05 p.m. CT

• Wednesday: White Sox at Detroit, 6:05 p.m. CT

:bringit :gosoxretro: :gosox2: :gosox4:

Sweep Away!

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
How's the weather looking on the Southside?

So far, it's rather nice out, sunny and my outside thermometer next to the kitchen window says it's nearly 70 degrees out. And this is just a mile from the ballpark. They DO say that we might get some sprinkles later on this afternoon; hopefully that does not effect our game though.

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
I'll be there once again, this time in Section 107, Row 20.

My fearless prediction for the game:  Garcia starts trying to "duel" with Buehrle and pitches a gem of his own, allowing 2 runs, 4 hits, walking 3, over 7.2 innings.

Good for you Ms. Lee,

I think I will be able to watch the game on the Mariner's broadcast over Foxsports Rocky MT. I can ony hope. I have been able to see th first two games of the series on TV yesterday being WGN, which was nice.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Is it me or is Timo the slowest player on the sox excluding PK and the catchers and pitchers???  Especially to be leading off for a team so adamant with manufacturing runs.

Has Timo done anyting with the bat so far this season. Heck I woulds even like Gload in there at this point.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Don't understand why Ozuna can't be starting in left.  Or Harris in center for that matter. I've seen enough of Timo for awhile.  :banghead

it has to do with timo being a lefty facin the righty meche IMO..i feel that if we were facing moyer today ozuna would leadoff and play out in LF but im not the manager so who knows

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
it has to do with timo being a lefty facin the righty meche IMO..i feel that if we were facing moyer today ozuna would leadoff and play out in LF but im not the manager so who knows

That's probably right, Ozzie seems to love playing those matchups.

Two things:

- I hope Garcia realizes he's not pitching in Yellowstone today, like he was last start at Cleveland in which the wind saved him about 4 homers.

- Willie not playing today is an absolute joke. I'm not a Harris fan at all, but after the miserable performances by Timo and Iguchi the last two days, Willie should get a start. If we want to try and play smallball, you need some speed in the lineup. Smallball won't work if you have a well below average speed leadoff hitter.