Bulls to sign funderburke... pending psychical.

Barring failing the physical he took late Sunday, Lawrence Funderburke will practice as the newest member of the Bulls on Monday at the Berto Center.

"I know the business," Funderburke said Sunday afternoon. "I know how important it is to be a professional and just to do your job. Whether you play or don't play, you have to bring professionalism to the table

"Team chemistry is so important. If you look around the league, there are a lot of teams that are really talented, but they don't win. A lot of that has to do with chemistry. Those teams who are able to put aside personal agendas are successful. I think that's been the case with the Bulls. I'll just try to fit in."

Funderburke, 34, will sign for a prorated portion of the league minimum salary befitting his six years of service, which is $870,046. Early returns on the physical looked good, a team source said.

A Sunday workout against Jerome Beasley and Sean Lampley, both formerly with Miami, revealed Funderburke to be the long-armed, in-shape big man the Bulls envisioned adding to the playoff roster for spot minutes.

An additional six weeks of testing on Eddy Curry's irregular heartbeat created that need.

Funderburke, a 6-foot-9-inch, 230-pound power forward, said he has fully recovered from the surgery on his left Achilles' tendon that sidelined him all of last season.

"I'm healthy," he said.

In 316 career games with Sacramento, Funderburke averaged 6.4 points and 3.6 rebounds. He also is known as a solid locker-room presence and has 21 games of playoff experience, which he believes helped him get the gig.

"I think so," Funderburke said. "The most important thing about the playoffs is there's an extra level you need to go to. With a young team, you have to understand the seriousness and magnitude of the opportunity and take advantage."

Following Washington's dramatic, last-second victory over Charlotte on Sunday, the Bulls hold a one-game lead in the race for home-court advantage with two games remaining. Washington owns the tiebreaker.

The Wizards are almost certain to be the Bulls' first-round opponent now that Indiana, which lost at Miami on Sunday, has dropped two games behind Washington with two to play.

In their dynasty days, the Bulls had a history of adding final pieces to the puzzle—Robert Parish, Brian Williams (Bison Dele)—to help their quest. But Funderburke is under no illusion about his role.

"At this point, there's not much any player that they sign is going to do," he said. "All they're asking is to be professional and try to contribute to the team in any manner they ask."

Funderburke, who lives in Tampa, said he declined opportunities to play in Europe, opting to spend more time with his daughter. He continued to work out and appeared to be in excellent shape Sunday.

Like Washington, the Bulls have two games left, at home against the Knicks on Tuesday and at Indiana on Wednesday. The Wizards also finish with a back-to-back, playing road games against the Nets on Tuesday and Knicks on Wednesday.

Funderburke will do whatever he can to help—even if it's just shouting "shoot" when Chris Duhon lines up a thee-pointer. The rookie guard shockingly broke the franchise record held by Michael Jordan, Jalen Rose and Jannero Pargo with eight three-pointers against Atlanta.

"I feel real confident every time I'm shooting the ball," Duhon said. "I'm in a great rhythm. It's coming off my fingertips well. I know how important that's going to be come playoff time."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
My guessing his function on this team will be much like Rusty LaRue and Keith Booth on the 1997-1998 Bulls team?

Scorer off the bench and another body to pick up fouls. We should have given rodman a look... and i am cereal.

He is still in excellent shape... this was from an exhibition game very recentlly. His arms are still huge. Compared to the other guy he looks like a complete monster. No doubt it my mind he could but 10-15 minutes a game. Too bad it's not gonna happen though.

SJUR101041000_1024x768.jpg

SJUR105041000_1024x768.jpg