Ozzie vs. Frank, round one?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
When Frank Thomas actually steps into uniform for the Sox this season and proves he is healthy, then talk about how great he is.

Until then, he's not the best player on the Sox.  He's not even a part of the active roster and we are 8-4.

OK -- well, I think we've seen Frank at his worst, and Frank at his worst was still pretty damn good.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Konerko, who is far from a help in the field? just because he plays there doesn't mean he's any good at it

He sure looked helpful the other day in the 9th when he bailed out the Sox.

Don't get me wrong, I like Frank just fine, he's still on a decline though and can't be relied on as long as his foot is still hurting.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
You took the words right out of my mouth Mike.. Apparently Ozzie wasn't listening when I tore Kenny a new a-hole about this s***. It makes me so sad that Ozzie is so selfish that he needs to make headlines about himself.. my opinion.. HE is the problem and the team doesn't need this distraction and HE should be relieved of his duties.

woah now steff lets not get ahead of ourselves here...first off ur a very solid poster and i usually agree with most of ur posts but not here however..i feel ur right ozzie needs 2 STFU and quit acting so self centered but 2 then turn the tables on him claiming u want his a$$ canned is another story in its self..the players love this guy and i can almost bet u anything ozzie is the type of manager who wants it more than any1 else out on that baseball field and ur willing to give him the boot?? hes got the kids playin hard right now and seems to have a clue unlike the managers in the last 10 years or so..... ;)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Four words for Ozzie, which I guess he still can't translate, SHUT THE f*** UP!

Without the use of profanity because it makes me blush: You are right on SS05.

Frank Thomas never said a thing in my opinion that went against Ozzie. Ozzie just can't keep his pie hole shut and accept that a 15 plus year vet like the Big Hurt can actually say something like"I want to play ball." Frank is a huge addition to this team hitting wise and leadership wise. I think he showed that last year also. He wants to win. Ozzie doesn't need to be so thin skinned about it and screw things up. I think Frank will be back with a vengance because he wants to be in that line up and not on the DL. Ozzie should be ready to ride the bat of the Big Hurt all the way to the WS.

Edited by elrockinMT

This is enough of Ozzie running his mouth, it's the 2nd year straight. I think Ozzie's got to win this year and stop allowing this crap to pour out of his mouth. If he can't do that, I think it's time for him to go. In that sense, I think Steff is right -- I wouldn't fire him immediately, but I hope the clock is ticking.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Ozzie shouldn't be canned.

Sorry Steff, that's completely ludicrous.

Absolutely, he shouldn't be fired. The guy has set the tone for a winning ball club. So he says what's on his mind, those same people who criticize him for it, ignore that Thomas does the exact same. Thomas can do it too. However, one of the main reasons we have this type of ball club is because Ozzie and KW are on the same page of what it takes to win. So far so good.

As far as im concerned these are all grown men getting paid millions of dollars... if they cant take a little critism from the Oz in the media than I dont want them on the whitesox :headbang.... Although in this case Ozzie was supposedly upset because he thinks the media twists his words so im sure he has talked to Frank about it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:01 AM)
You took the words right out of my mouth Mike.. Apparently Ozzie wasn't listening when I tore Kenny a new a-hole about this s***. It makes me so sad that Ozzie is so selfish that he needs to make headlines about himself.. my opinion.. HE is the problem and the team doesn't need this distraction and HE should be relieved of his duties.

Couldn't agree with you more Steff. I remember you didn't like the move from day one. I was just hoping his motivational skills would prove to be enough but its not going to, imo. He just doesn't get it.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
I don't have a problem with what he said.

This is like your boss, going to the paper and telling you to show up to work on Friday with a new attitude. Its pathetic. Ozzie needs to take care of this stuff in house. Give Frank a call and tell him whats up. If a question comes up asking about Frank and his role with the club...Ozzie should simply respond with I gave Frank a call and we talked about it. Its a move we will deal with when he's 100%, until then, I wish Frank nothing but the best in a speedy recovery but Everett is our DH.

If your boss ( or mine ) had a gaggle of reporters asking him questions every single day, I'd be willing to bet that at some point he'd say something stupid that would end up in print.

Granted, Oz doesn't need that much prodding to start yapping, but let's not forget that they have people following them around every day looking for a quote. Oz was adamant in "reminding" the reporters that he also mentioned several other players and only the Frank reference was blown up. Why is that? Could it be that the Frank quote could turn into the bigger story, because of Frank's history here?

Again, I'm very glad that it appears to not be a huge deal in the Sox clubhouse, and that is the ONLY thing that matters to me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
This is like your boss, going to the paper and telling you to show up to work on Friday with a new attitude.  Its pathetic.  Ozzie needs to take care of this stuff in house.  Give Frank a call and tell him whats up.  If a question comes up asking about Frank and his role with the club...Ozzie should simply respond with I gave Frank a call and we talked about it.  Its a move we will deal with when he's 100%, until then, I wish Frank nothing but the best in a speedy recovery but Everett is our DH.

I am sorry Chisoxfn, but I don't think that is the same at all. You can't compare what goes on in the world of sports to what happens in the real world. The world of sports has its own rules.

I agree that Ozzie should keep it to himself, but I believe Frank has to be that way as well. There are things that are considered PC to say and that is what both should learn how to do. However, we would not have had a 15 page thread if it were not for the excitement Ozzie and Frank created. I am sure the media is thrilled with this story today.

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
woah now steff lets not get ahead of ourselves here...first off ur a very solid poster and i usually agree with most of ur posts but not here however..i feel ur right ozzie needs 2 STFU and quit acting so self centered but 2 then turn the tables on him claiming u want his a$$ canned is another story in its self..the players love this guy and i can almost bet u anything ozzie is the type of manager who wants it more than any1 else out on that baseball field and ur willing to give him the boot?? hes got the kids playin hard right now and seems to have a clue unlike the managers in the last 10 years or so..... ;)

It's just my opinion.. but if this stuff keeps happening and it continues to be a distraction.. here we were about to play our division rival for first place and what was the sports world talking about... :rolly Then yes.. I want a manager who can't speak properly to STFU or be gone. I hope he's learned from this.. I honestly believe he didn't mean any malice with his words.. but IMO he caused a bunch of crap he didn't need to. He's got to think before he speaks to the media...

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
If your boss ( or mine ) had a gaggle of reporters asking him questions every single day, I'd be willing to bet that at some point he'd say something stupid that would end up in print.

Granted, Oz doesn't need that much prodding to start yapping, but let's not forget that they have people following them around every day looking for a quote. Oz was adamant in "reminding" the reporters that he also mentioned several other players and only the Frank reference was blown up. Why is that? Could it be that the Frank quote could turn into the bigger story, because of Frank's history here?

Again, I'm very glad that it appears to not be a huge deal in the Sox clubhouse, and that is the ONLY thing that matters to me.

No matter how many reporters are following him.. the "boss" needs to have control of his mouth. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
This is like your boss, going to the paper and telling you to show up to work on Friday with a new attitude.  Its pathetic.  Ozzie needs to take care of this stuff in house.  Give Frank a call and tell him whats up.  If a question comes up asking about Frank and his role with the club...Ozzie should simply respond with I gave Frank a call and we talked about it.  Its a move we will deal with when he's 100%, until then, I wish Frank nothing but the best in a speedy recovery but Everett is our DH.

I tried to use this one once before.. flew over like a led balloon.. but I agree with it. :lol:

To me, Ozzie shouldn't be judged 100% on what he does in the media, calling out players etc. That definitely counts, but the clubhouse seems better than what it has been, and the team is winning, so I think those calling for his head probably need to take that into perspective 1st. These are definitely issues that need addressing ASAP, and other things like learning how to use a bullpen as well. But Ozzie needs to learn this team needs to be in the headlines for all the RIGHT reasons, not the wrong ones.