Ozzie vs. Frank, round one?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
So are you saying that you know for a fact that he didn't talk to his players about it before he went to the press? For that matter directly after? How about just to Frank? If you don't know for a fact then it is an assumption.

I think his point is why tell the media this stuff (about attitude problems) at all..? :huh

Jackie just slap me if I'm assuming wrong. :lol:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
So are you saying that you know for a fact that he didn't talk to his players about it before he went to the press? For that matter directly after? How about just to Frank? If you don't know for a fact then it is an assumption.

Um, no. I'm not assuming anything at all. Because it doesn't matter.

Suppose we assume exactly the opposite of what you assume I'm assuming. (I assume you follow?) So we assume that Ozzie told his players first. That makes it necessary to go moan to reporters after? That's somehow productive? You said he wants to communicate to his players. Fine, tell THEM.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
I think his point is why tell the media this stuff (about attitude problems) at all..?  :huh

Jackie just slap me if I'm assuming wrong.  :lol:

That is not what his first comment was Steff. His first comment was that he just made the comments in the paper. Then he states that it is assumption his foot. I think by going to the press with it he is just making an even bigger statement. He is saying it even louder. This is his team. He doesn't want selfish attitudes, not even from one of the greatest White Sox players in the history of the game. As far as I can see he didn't let out anything private. He told it the way it is and the type of attitude he wants from his team.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
That is not what his first comment was Steff. His first comment was that he just made the comments in the paper. Then he states that it is assumption his foot. I think by going to the press with it he is just making an even bigger statement. He is saying it even louder. This is his team. He doesn't want selfish attitudes, not even from one of the greatest White Sox players in the history of the game. As far as I can see he didn't let out anything private. He told it the way it is and the type of attitude he wants from his team.

I'm all confused... as I have no idea what you said here... :o

:lolhitting

Going to eat lunch.. maybe I'll be at full brain power when I get back.. :lol:

Ugggh... not this crap again. :headshake

I'm certainly open to theories that the media and/or the Sox front office has it in for Frank. But it seems that Frank's involved in just a few too many "bad PR" incidents to completely absolve him from blame (the big piss fight with Jerry Manuel in Spring Training a few years ago, Paulie calling him out in the press a couple years ago, Frank whining about his contract to the press on a number of occasions, etc.). Here's how I see it...

-The Chicago media doesn't like Frank

-The Sox front office wants some bad PR on him to keep his contract price down

-Frank has an ego the size of Montana and is frustrated because of his diminished skills, inability to stay healthy, smaller contracts, his team's inability to win, and a general lack of respect for him by the front office and the media

-Ozzie never liked Frank and is using his managerial power to settle a personal vendetta

If running into the wall making a play makes you a bad outfielder, I must wonder why an outfielder as crappy as Rowand is playing CF for us. :D

Dye is no longer the fleet of foot guy he used to be. Everett covers as much ground. He's fearless out there, like Rowand.

Probably doesn't have as good an instinct as Dye on getting jumps, but this is a guy who was playing CF for Texas a few years ago. He can hold his own out there just fine.

Dye will have to pick it up with the bat if he wants PT when Frank returns.

Either that or hope the groin keeps getting hurt.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Um, no.  I'm not assuming anything at all.  Because it doesn't matter.

Suppose we assume exactly the opposite of what you assume I'm assuming.  (I assume you follow?)  So we assume that Ozzie told his players first.  That makes it necessary to go moan to reporters after?  That's somehow productive?  You said he wants to communicate to his players.  Fine, tell THEM.

Like I stated before, both he and Frank were wrong. Neither should have said what they said to the press.

QUOTE(ISF @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
If running into the wall making a play makes you a bad outfielder, I must wonder why an outfielder as crappy as Rowand is playing CF for us. :D

Dye is no longer the fleet of foot guy he used to be. Everett covers as much ground. He's fearless out there, like Rowand.

Probably doesn't have as good an instinct as Dye on getting jumps, but this is a guy who was playing CF for Texas a few years ago. He can hold his own out there just fine.

Dye will have to pick it up with the bat if he wants PT when Frank returns.

Either that or hope the groin keeps getting hurt.

Everett does not have half the arm Dye does and I would disagree with you about their range. Comparing Everett to Rowand is flat out ridiculous. I don't think anyone wants Everett playing CF for them anymore.

I would assume he would be playing LF in either case. If Pods and Everett plays then Carl would play LF, Pods CF, and Rowand RF. If Dye and Everett play then we already know that situation.

I would much rather have Dye playing full time than Crazy Carl. I am sure he will turn it around.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Like I stated before, both he and Frank were wrong. Neither should have said what they said to the press.

Okay. Well that's strange, since just a minute ago you were defending Ozzie speaking out to reporters, saying that it was merely "saying it even louder. This is his team...He told it the way it is and the type of attitude he wants from his team."

Well, so we agree that Ozzie was an ass for saying this to the press. I still disagree on Frank, but at least we agree on one thing.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
Okay.  Well that's strange, since just a minute ago you were defending Ozzie speaking out to reporters, saying that it was merely "saying it even louder. This is his team...He told it the way it is and the type of attitude he wants from his team."

Well, so we agree that Ozzie was an ass for saying this to the press.  I still disagree on Frank, but at least we agree on one thing.

No I would not say an ass. But I agree he shouldn't have said it, but Frank shouldn't ahve either.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Why do I get the feeling that this is a bigger issue here than it will be with Ozzie, Frank and the rest of the team?

Let's hope so.

Hopefully Frank realizes that Ozzie speaks first and thinks second. Ozzie is a classic example of not thinking before you speak. I think Frank knows the score and will just show up and play ball.

He's getting too old for this petty bulls***. :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
Let's hope so.

Hopefully Frank realizes that Ozzie speaks first and thinks second.  Ozzie is a classic example of not thinking before you speak.  I think Frank knows the score and will just show up and play ball.

He's getting too old for this petty bulls***. :P

I think you can put the Frank into the same category as not thinking before they speak. The only thing Ozzie kind of has on his side is that English is not his first language. It is much harder for him to say exactly what he means and I am sure a lot of stuff doesn't come out right. Frank is no angel here, and he has made many mistakes about what he says to the media. He has been very consistent in the past about saying things without thinking.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
Because we are fans and are very prone to overreacting.... :huh

Fair enough.

I just think this situation will be taken for what it is: Ozzie just being Ozzie. We've always known him as a guy who shoots from the lip, and when you talk as freely and as open as Ozzie does, your bound to say stupid s*** once in a while. I've always liked Ozzie and his free speaking ways and for the most part, the players seem to as well.

Was Ozzie wrong? Sure. But I just don't see it being a big deal with the team. They understand the way Ozzie ticks.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Fair enough.

I just think this situation will be taken for what it is:  Ozzie just being Ozzie.  We've always known him as a guy who shoots from the lip, and when you talk as freely and as open as Ozzie does, your bound to say stupid s*** once in a while.  I've always liked Ozzie and his free speaking ways and for the most part, the players seem to as well.

Was Ozzie wrong?  Sure.  But I just don't see it being a big deal with the team.  They understand the way Ozzie ticks.

:cheers

If you want to run a professional, first-class operation, then your people from the top down to the bottom have to act it. Whether or not this is just some sort of inside joke, or motivational tool, or just popping off, it doesn't look good to players around baseball. What if next off-season the White Sox want to sign a free agent but he doesn't want to come here for fear of being blasted in the press for no reason at all. Keep this sort of stuff in-house. Ozzie being Ozzie may be cute for a while then it just gets silly.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
If you want to run a professional, first-class operation, then your people from the top down to the bottom have to act it. Whether or not this is just some sort of inside joke, or motivational tool, or just popping off, it doesn't look good to players around baseball. What if next off-season the White Sox want to sign a free agent but he doesn't want to come here for fear of being blasted in the press for no reason at all. Keep this sort of stuff in-house. Ozzie being Ozzie may be cute for a while then it just gets silly.

baker gets away with saying even dumber s*** yet he's considered a "player's coach."

I would not think it would be much of a problem, especially if current players spread the word that they are happy with him. Damn, I hope they are...

QUOTE(ISF @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)

When Everett played centerfield, I remember hearing about how experts had never seen a player turn more routine singles into triples due to terrible range and instincts. Everett has absolutely no range in the outfield...he even helped us win a game in Montreal last year when he was in the outfield for the Expos. I like Everett as a hitter, but he should never play the outfield again. He makes Timo look like a gold-glover out there.