Ozzie vs. Frank, round one?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Everett played CF for us not to long ago and i remember he didnt do that bad of a job really.... So he should be fine in one of the corner OF spots especially since he is in great shape... That cleveland game was prob just a fluke accident.

He isnt that bad of a fielder, which is exactly why Jermaine Dye will take a seat for many a game when frank gets back. BUt I envision a 4 man rotation in the OF

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
He isnt that bad of a fielder, which is exactly why Jermaine Dye will take a seat for many a game when frank gets back. BUt I envision a 4 man rotation in the OF

He didn't used to be a bad fielder. He used to be decent. Now he is down right awful.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
I just want to throw this out there, it doesnt sound great to me at all, but maybe there could be a possibility of trading Frank.

For what reason and what do you expect in return for him? He is almost 37 years old and coming back from a pretty serious injury. He has great career stats, but not so great lately. You would never get anything in return for him. Plus there really isn't any reason to trade him. What else do we need at the moment?

the pereption of Frank is much darker than the reality. So what if he is a bit if a diva? Pedro Martinez is and that doesn't make you a bad guy. I think with Frank you just give him some props to soothe his ego and he's fine. DOes Ozzie want to talk about winning? 8-4 ain't winning s***. Being the best team in baseball in 1994 and 2000 menas a lot more to me than Ozzieball and Frank is the numero uno reason we were the best team

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
the pereption of Frank is much darker than the reality. So what if he is a bit if a diva? Pedro Martinez is and that doesn't make you a bad guy. I think with Frank you just give him some props to soothe his ego and he's fine. DOes Ozzie want to talk about winning? 8-4 ain't winning s***. Being the best team in baseball in 1994 and 2000 menas a lot more to me than Ozzieball and Frank is the numero uno reason we were the best team

You said it all right there. Frank WAS great.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
For what reason and what do you expect in return for him? He is almost 37 years old and coming back from a pretty serious injury. He has great career stats, but not so great lately. You would never get anything in return for him. Plus there really isn't any reason to trade him. What else do we need at the moment?

Would the small piece of the puzzle that you would receive for Frank be more beneficial than wasting one player on the bench. Frank is an OBP machine, and will get on base for someone. Is it going to be us? I dont know. Im not saying im in favor of getting rid of Frank, but considering that many people on this board feel that we are wasting a player by having either Carl or Frank sit, what can we do with them?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Ugh -- Wilbon is making Frank out like the bad guy on ESPN on Pardon the Interruption...  :headshake

Wilbon's the last person to say anything about the Sox (Or ESPN for that matter) since he's admitted so many times on the show that he's a Cub fan and that they're the only baseball team in Chicago so :finger Wilbon

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
You said it all right there. Frank WAS great.

And he's still ten times the player of anyone on this team.

When anyone on this team puts up anywhere near as good as Frank's OPS, let me know. In Frank's worst year, he still posted an .834 OPS. Other than Rowand (and Rowand hasn't done it for a span that Thomas has done it at), no one on our team touches that.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
Yep, I saw that.  He is a Flubs fan ya know.

Yeah, but my dad coached/taught him. He went to St. Ignatious College Prep, IIRC. So I like to listen to him.

That's a show I like, anyways. I don't always agree with them, but how they bicker cracks me up. Much better than ATH, IMHO...

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
And he's still ten times the player of anyone on this team.

The guy can't even play the field, so how can he be ten times the player of anyone on the team? :headshake

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
The guy can't even play the field, so how can he be ten times the player of anyone on the team?   :headshake

What does that matter? The DH is there for a reason...

Are you saying that a player should hurt his teams overall chances of winning a baseball game by putting them out into the field?

EDIT: And if I didn't put "offensively" in there, then that's my fault -- I should have.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
What does that matter?  The DH is there for a reason...

Are you saying that a player should hurt his teams overall chances of winning a baseball game by putting them out into the field?

He is not 10 times the player of anyone on the team if his only contribution to the team is at the plate.

Had he been a solid fielder his whole career, there wouldn't even be a debate as to whether or not he belongs in the hall of fame. This is why you see and will continue to see few DH players in the Hall of Fame.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in his current state, Frank Thomas is not 10 times the player of several guys on the Sox roster. Hell he's not even the best player.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
He is not 10 times the player of anyone on the team if his only contribution to the team is at the plate.

Had he been a solid fielder his whole career, there wouldn't even be a debate as to whether or not he belongs in the hall of fame.  This is why you see and will continue to see few DH players in the Hall of Fame.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in his current state, Frank Thomas is not 10 times the player of several guys on the Sox roster.  Hell he's not even the best player.

At the plate, he still is. Who's better than him? Rowand, maybe if he continues at what he did last season. That's about it.

Ten times was an extreme situation, but he's still better -- offensively -- than anyone we have on our team...

When Frank Thomas actually steps into uniform for the Sox this season and proves he is healthy, then talk about how great he is.

Until then, he's not the best player on the Sox. He's not even a part of the active roster and we are 8-4.