Game thread 4-19 Sox .vs. Twinkees

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen enough to admit I'm ready to eat crow now. To get Pods & Vizcaino it would have cost either Crede, Lee, or Koney. Koney & Crede are factoring big time in the scoring right now. Crede is playing like an All Star with Uribe & Iguchi. If he continues this pace he's got all star team written all over him.

Sometimes the gut & the intangibles mean more than the numbers. Crede's off-season commitment is paying off. The scales are tipping towards the Sox once again on the trade.

I've got no complaints tonight. In my eyes Oz did everything right. Once again lady luck was on the Twins side. This time costing the Sox a run. Pods touched the plate before Mauer applied the tag. The ump gave the benefit of the doubt to Mauer because of his position. I think the 2B ump did the same thing against Rowand.

But the Sox battled through it. That's what I love about this team. Nothing rattles them. Bullpen wise Ozzie did it right.

Viz 1 ip

Herm 1 ip

Shingo starts 9th

Marte finishes 9th

Some of you will argue against Shingo but I won't. The best 15 pitch pitcher in the majors in 2004 deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's a savvy, crafty veteran pitcher who can still figure it out to be dominant again. Ozzie short leash is a good thing to see.

The added benefit of a 3-header closer (Shingo, Marte, & Herm) is that they will all gain confidence along the way. If either of them should become dominant all the better for the Sox. It will be easier for the other two to transition to setup men.

You throw the book out on El Duque. I don't think there's a finer mental pitcher alive. I'd even give him the nod over Maddux. It doesn't matter if he gets behind hitters because he can pretty much throw a strike when he wants to. How many pitchers are there in this league that can scatter 10H over 6IP on 96 pitchers w/out giving up a run? Not many.

While watching El Duque get out of jam after jam I couldn't help thinking of Jon Garland watching this game. Maybe El Duque will finally teach Jon mental toughness.

Stand Up: Everett 333A, Guch 326A, Crede 277A, Koney 260A

Applaud: El Duque 2.50ERA, Hermanson 0.00ERA, Marte 1.93ERA

Cheer: We are 2 up on Twinkees, & 4 up on both the Squaws & Tiggers.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

More on El Duque. Ozzie is proving to be a good manager. He took a lot of flack over his Thomas quotes & deservingly so. But what was lost by most reporters is the message he sent to the team in general. It's his team. He calls the shots.

When I look over the NYY's usage of El Duque & count the number of 120+ pitch outings he had for them I can't help thinking Torre wasn't tough enough. El Duque never wants to come out. Because he usually gets better as the game wears on it's hard to take him out. But Ozzie knows the importance in doing so. He's on a strict 100 pitch count limit & it's really starting to get me excited about this team. Maybe it's still too early but I'm dreaming about 30 starts from El Duque now.

Hawk loves to talk about the 42. That's goofy. It's all about 15-16 wins per month. You do that you will make the ALDS. That's 90-96 wins. The Sox are on a 96 win pace.

The Tiggers & Roys both have to battle the Squaws, Twinkees, & WSox

before April ends. The Sox have an opportunity of really opening up their lead in this month. Outside the division they battle Oak while Cle & Min battle the Angels.

It's shaping up as an April to remember.

Way back in this thread, Radke's ball vs strike count was mentioned and it was heavily in favor of strikes. I read earlier in the day that Radke had not walked a Sox hitter since Aug 2003 or something similiarly bizarre. Unreal.

There was a lot of moaning and groaning when Shingo was pitching. Ozzie is handling him perfectly right now. Shingo deserves the chance to pitch his way out of this funk he's in, based on his success last year. But, not at the cost of these big intradivision games. He's got Shingo on a short leash and has had someone in reserve in case Shingo falters.