Give it up for Reggie Miller

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Reggie Miller was a hated rival when he was playing but now that he's retiring it's time to give him his props.

Here's to ya!

:drink  :cheers

Classy Nuke. :cheers

-----------------------------------

Reggie's been my favorite player in the NBA, and he'll probably continue to be even after he retires. It's too bad he has to go out with a year like this. The melee in Detroit really took away a great chance for Reggie to go out with that ring. I just hope we can have a little run in the playoffs.

Thanks for the memories Reggie.

"I've truly been blessed to be a Pacer and a Hoosier."

I got chills from that.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Classy Nuke. :cheers

-----------------------------------

Reggie's been my favorite player in the NBA, and he'll probably continue to be even after he retires.  It's too bad he has to go out with a year like this.  The melee in Detroit really took away a great chance for Reggie to go out with that ring.  I just hope we can have a little run in the playoffs. 

Thanks for the memories Reggie. 

"I've truly been blessed to be a Pacer and a Hoosier."

I got chills from that.

He probally realizes that he really has no spot on the team in the next couple years with artest and tinsley both coming back. I am pretty sure if they offered him a starting job next year he would stay another year, but i may be wrong.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
He probally realizes that he really has no spot on the team in the next couple years with artest and tinsley both coming back. I am pretty sure if they offered him a starting job next year he would stay another year, but i may be wrong.

That's not what it is. Reggie's done such a great job stepping back the past few seasons. People have complained he hasn't shot enough the past few seasons. He's understood where his place was on this team.

He's had a nice increase in numbers of late with all the injuries, etc. this season, so he's kind of become the go-to guy one last time.

He was going to retire last season privately, but Carlisle, Bird, and Walsh pleaded with him all season to change his mind. They've tried to do the same again, but Reggie's not changing his mind this time.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
That's not what it is.  Reggie's done such a great job stepping back the past few seasons.  People have complained he hasn't shot enough the past few seasons.  He's understood where his place was on this team. 

He's had a nice increase in numbers of late with all the injuries, etc. this season, so he's kind of become the go-to guy one last time. 

He was going to retire last season privately, but Carlisle, Bird, and Walsh pleaded with him all season to change his mind.  They've tried to do the same again, but Reggie's not changing his mind this time.

There any real reason that he wants to retire? Do you know if he has planned anything for once he retires? I mean he can still be deadly in the league even if it is for limited minutes. Maybe he just feels it is time to sit back and relax with his family? I am thinking you may know what is going on with him considering you are a pacers fan.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
There any real reason that he wants to retire? Do you know if he has planned anything for once he retires? I mean he can still be deadly in the league even if it is for limited minutes. Maybe he just feels it is time to sit back and relax with his family? I am thinking you may know what is going on with him considering you are a pacers fan.

Yeah, I wish he'd come back; he still has one year left on this contract.

He's been quoted a few times in his career that he's never wanted to play past 40. He turns 40 in August. He says he's interested in broadcasting and just believes there's life after basketball.

This is from a Q&A on Pacers.com..

Q. What does your future hold?

A. Contrary to what people believe, yes, basketball has been a big part of my life. But on the other hand, it's also been a small part. You know, 40 is a very young age. Maybe broadcasting. I'm starting a production company, doing small independent films, that's about it. I'll be dabbling for a while.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Reggie earned my total respect when he dropped 8 points in the Knicks in as many seconds to win a game.  That is the greatest example of pwn3age!  I have ever seen.

Not to mention that 25 point barrage he put on the Knicks in the 4th quarter of game 5 of the 1994 ecf's. He was also 5 of 5 from 3 in that quarter.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
Not to mention that 25 point barrage he put on the Knicks in the 4th quarter of game 5 of the 1994 ecf's.  He was also 5 of 5 from 3 in that quarter.

The Knicks and their fans are happy to see him go.

LOL!!

Reggie was never really hated by me. He provided me with many memories growing up. unbelieveable when he dropped 25 pts on the knicks in the 4th quarter in the 93-94 conference finals . (I was bitter the knicks ended our 3 peat)

Reggie definately helped me forget about it just a little. Thank you Reggie.

Edited by rangercal

Was never a big Reggie Miller fan...then again, wasn't allowed to be as a Bulls fan, but now that he's retiring, I have mad respect for all he did for not only Indiana, but provided us with a great rivalry, and was a great player to watch...one of a few who you'll see defined under clutch...all of that said, he came up short ringwise...but has nothing to be ashamed about...

:cheers

Iam ,or was, a Kinck fan. I hav egrown to respect him. He's gone out the way you hope your favorite player would go out (even though he;s not mine). I used to think he was a punk but now I think that was just part of his game. It was a great ceremony last night and legitimately touching. Here's to Reggie who went out like a champ.

• 4 weeks later...

It is definitely time for a bump. Reggie played his last game for real tonight and he did amazing. He carried the Pacers, but they couldn't hold off the champs in the end. I never was a Reggie fan and even hated him in his prime, but now my opinion of him is totally changed. What a class act. I almost got choked up at the end when Larry called that timeout and the crowd cheered for one last time for Reggie.

:cheers To a great career from Reggie!

Once again: Reggie Miller.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Such a class guy. I'm really going to miss him on the Pacers. He'll always be my favorite basketball player. What Larry Brown and the Pistons did at the end of the game was really class. I have a lot of respect for what they did. Reggie unfortunately did not get to play another game, but he went out in such a great fashion.

Thank you Reggie. The Pacers have some big shoes to fill.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Reggie earned my total respect when he dropped 8 points in the Knicks in as many seconds to win a game.  That is the greatest example of pwn3age!  I have ever seen.

That was the greatest thing I've ever seen on a Basketball Court in my life, and it could still very well be 60 years from now. That was just truly amazing.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 20, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Indeed.  He perfected the stick the leg out jumper to draw the foul.  So cheap.

Do you have anything nice to say about him? You know the saying, if you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything.

Do you have anything nice to say about him? You know the saying, if you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything.

I agreed that Miller was a great clutch shooter but am I making this stuff up? That leg kick to draw a foul is one of the things he was notorious for. Did you watch the game? He even shot a 3-pointer at the end of the game that was completely stuffed (all ball, mind you) and complained to the refs for a foul. Miller is one of the greatest pure shooters of all time but he has never played defense and he whined to the refs 24-7. It's not like I'm making this stuff up. I can respect his shooting ability and clutchness but I have always hated his cheap leg kick and constant whining to the refs.

Edited by Jabroni