Brantley

Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
He is an jerk says Sox will not make playoffs and Twins are class of division.

The Twins ARE the class of the division, until proven otherwise. He's reasons for the Sox failing were what showed his lack of knowledge.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
The Twins ARE the class of the division, until proven otherwise.  He's reasons for the Sox failing were what showed his lack of knowledge.

I dont really agree with that, its a new season.. I wouldnt just already concede the division to the Twins..

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
I dont really agree with that, its a new season.. I wouldnt just already concede the division to the Twins..

I'm not conceding anything. I'm saying they are the champs and until they aren't the champs, they are the class of the division.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm not conceding anything.  I'm saying they are the champs and until they aren't the champs, they are the class of the division.

I agree, they have found a way the last three years, I like being the underdog anyways.

I had to turn off BAseball Tonight when Brantley started talking about Kevin Brown turning it on.....he is 41 can't anyone admit that the yanks are gettting old and this may hurt them instead of kissing their ass. RJ is 41, he may slip a little, NO this can't happen, the yaks signed him, he will win 35 games I can no longer stomach ESPN. Oh wait Steinbrenner just walked outside, gotta go see what is happening.

Edited by HSC's Biggest Fan

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
The Twins ARE the class of the division, until proven otherwise.  He's reasons for the Sox failing were what showed his lack of knowledge.

This is true and I completely agree. These sportscenter guys have been saying the same thing for years, every year people crow on this board that they don't know what they are talking about. Right now they are the favorites becaus ehtye have won. We need to prove to everyone that we are better, nobody is just going to give us anything.

I agree. I have no problem with the Twins being considered the favorite - they have proven three years running that they can last the season and be atop the Central standings when the season ends.

What is frustrating is listening to uninformed analysis from guys that ESPN touts as "experts." The comment about our bullpen having problems is completely ignorant. No doubt Shingo has struggled, but the bullpen will be a strength of this team.

QUOTE(Traveler1776 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
I agree. I have no problem with the Twins being considered the favorite - they have proven three years running that they can last the season and be atop the Central standings when the season ends.

What is frustrating is listening to uninformed analysis from guys that ESPN touts as "experts." The comment about our bullpen having problems is completely ignorant. No doubt Shingo has struggled, but the bullpen will be a strength of this team.

I couldn't agree more with Traveler. I admit to enjoying some good pub for the Sox' great start, but the most annoying thing is guys not really knowing what they are talking about in regards to the Sox.

Missed your first post Traveler, but welcome to SoxTalk!!!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm not conceding anything.  I'm saying they are the champs and until they aren't the champs, they are the class of the division.

YASNY is 100% correct on this. They have found a way to win when it counts year after year. They have a culture of success, and we are experimenting with "smart ball". Most of these guys pick 3 or 4 favorites, guess at Red Sox or Yankees, pick one runner up to win, and pick one "dark horse".

Put another way, I'd feel pretty good about being a Twins fan.

I think that we can take some pride in the fact that at this point of the season the Sox are sticking it to not only their opponents, but to these so called baseball analyst experts. Maybe that's what hurts them the most. The team is still not hitting like it can, but they have been pretty decent; we don't have the Big Hurt back yet, but will; and the relief pitching hasn't always been sharp, but has still shown good signs and is improving. I think the team has shown it is a winner and will be there at the end. The Twinkies are a good team and have won in the past with class (I hate saying that though) but they are a different team this year.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I had this in another thread already, but oh well. Anyway, Brantley made it seem as if all of our success is just pure luck. I don't mind if a guy doesn't pick us, but to think that all of our wins have been lucky is just stupid.

well, this just proves that old saying:

"I'd rather be lucky than be Jeff Brantley"

:D

My major problems with people like him is that they base their entire opinion on a few highlights they see every night and they have so many teams that they need to cover that they cant possibly understand every team. Therefore, I take little to no stock into what nationa "experts" say about a team. That applies to Fox/ESPN announcers in football and baseball. There are so many times they say something and state it as fact, but any person who has seen at least one full game knows it's flat out wrong. My $.02 is that you shouldnt really be bothered by what the nationa guys are saying.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
My major problems with people like him is that they base their entire opinion on a few highlights they see every night and they have so many teams that they need to cover that they cant possibly understand every team. Therefore, I take little to no stock into what nationa "experts" say about a team. That applies to Fox/ESPN announcers in football and baseball. There are so many times they say something and state it as fact, but any person who has seen at least one full game knows it's flat out wrong. My $.02 is that you shouldnt really be bothered by what the nationa guys are saying.

Excellent post.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
This is true and I completely agree. These sportscenter guys have been saying the same thing for years, every year people crow on this board that they don't know what they are talking about. Right now they are the favorites becaus ehtye have won. We need to prove to everyone that we are better, nobody is just going to give us anything.

Actually it seems like the people on SC have picked everyone but the twinkies. The twins are still the favorites and still should be. I do think the sox are the best team in the division but until we beat Minny it's still their division to lose. Brantley's just an idiot, period, his reasoning was ridiculous as to why the sox wouldn't win it.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Apr 23, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
I can no longer stomach ESPN. 

Join the club. I can't even sit through Sportscenter anymore. Their entire broadcasts have all become jokes. Plus...their coverage of today's nfl draft was absolutely BRUTAL!!! Almost every person on that station is a blowhard and they just try to "out talk" each other to come off as knowledgable...and end up lookin like a bunch of dips***s.