Wood out at least three weeks...

CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Clement sucks. Very overrated. Always pitched well enough to lose, was on the wrong side of thirty and was simply awful in the pennant push last year when he got benched

Perhaps finding a way to lose has to do with horses*** run support...

He's been finding a way to lose this year, evidenced by that 3-0 record.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Clement sucks. Very overrated. Always pitched well enough to lose, was on the wrong side of thirty and was simply awful in the pennant push last year when he got benched

I can remember countless games in which Clement pitched well enough to get the win and didn't because of little to no run support. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Clement won 15-17 games this season.

Horrible and mean thought (not wishing injury on Wood), but the inevitable question with all his problems: who wants in on a Tommy John pool for him?

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

Guest JimH
Horrible and mean thought (not wishing injury on Wood), but the inevitable question with all his problems: who wants in on a Tommy John pool for him?

I think he's already been thru one of these, and his current problems are shoulder vs. elbow.

But your point is well taken, it's not out of bounds to think some kind of surgery is on the horizon for this guy.

He won't be pitching vs. the White Sox at Wrigley Field later this month, that's for sure. Further, I doubt he'll pitch against the Sox in late June either. This has been an ongoing problem with him for a while, and I suspect it's longer than either Wood or the Cubs have let on.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 2, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
I think he's already been thru one of these, and his current problems are shoulder vs. elbow.

But your point is well taken, it's not out of bounds to think some kind of surgery is on the horizon for this guy.

He won't be pitching vs. the White Sox at Wrigley Field later this month, that's for sure.  Further, I doubt he'll pitch against the Sox in late June either.  This has been an ongoing problem with him for a while, and I suspect it's longer than either Wood or the Cubs have let on.

Maybe he can get you a deal on a Chevy?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)

I agree with you. He may be 3-0 now, but just wait. This guy wasn't even in the Cubs rotation at the end of the year. He is definitely not going to be worth the money the Red Sox are paying him for the length of his contract.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 2, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)

He already had the TJ surgery on his elbow, I think in 1999. This problem is in the shoulder, so it wouldn't be TJ surgery. Although if he pitches with it, it may cause him to alter his poor mechanics even more and cause him to blow out the elbow again. They call it a muscle strain now. I wonder what they will call it a month from now.

Edited by Dick Allen

Cubs regretting letting an overpaid pitcher go? No. They actually did make the right call letting Clement go

This year, his ERA is 4.00, his WHIP if 1.61, his K/9 is less then 1, his BB/9 is almost 4.5, and he has been lucky enough to be pitching for a team with an offense as explosive as the Red Sox.

His 5.09 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, and his HR/9 of just under 2 is not a good sign.

Wood is not looking so good...looking like a stupid person and a stupid player, not adjusting like Stoney suggested he do. But suggesting that the Cubs are dumb for letting go of Clement is incredible.

A bit more info....

A muscle strain in Kerry Wood's right shoulder will sideline him for five to six weeks, putting more stress on the Cubs' already stressed-out pitching staff.

An arthrogram on Wood's sore shoulder at Northwestern Memorial Hospital Monday revealed a strain in the rotator cuff, which is responsible for elevating the arm and moving it away from the body.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
I agree with you. He may be 3-0 now, but just wait. This guy wasn't even in the Cubs rotation at the end of the year. He is definitely not going to be worth the money the Red Sox are paying him for the length of his contract.

So Soon you forget how he carried the team at the beginning of the year by eating up innings for their s***ty bullpen and being just about the only dominant pitcher they had to begin the year. He had a tired arm at the end of the season because that was the most innings he had pitched.