Yanks lose again.....

MurcieOne

The Yankees are 6 games under .500 the worst they've been since 1995.

What do you see them doing with their 200 million dollar payroll?

I kinda hope they blow the whole thing up and start over, however with players with 8,9,10,25 million dollar salaries i dunno how possible that is.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought.... they very well might even still win the world series but who knows.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only option I see the Yankees having is to suck for the next 5 years. Till these long term old player contracts expire. They have some players of value that they can trade, but the Yanks will have to eat a lot of money to do so. That might get them back quicker, if they acquire some good propects in these deals. If they suck for a few years, they'll also have better draft choices if King George can lay off the bad free agent signings for a while.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 5, 2005 -> 04:11 AM)
The only option I see the Yankees having is to suck for the next 5 years.  Till these long term old player contracts expire.  They have some players of value that they can trade, but the Yanks will have to eat a lot of money to do so.  That might get them back quicker, if they acquire some good propects in these deals.  If they suck for a few years, they'll also have better draft choices if King George can lay off the bad free agent signings for a while.

Unless King George plans on going to $250 million-$300 million a year, they are stuck with what they have for a while. They have some long and bad deals on the books.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
Unless King George plans on going to $250 million-$300 million a year, they are stuck with what they have for a while.  They have some long and bad deals on the books.

They danced. Now they have to pay the band.

I can not remember the Yanks ever being in the situation they are in now. They have some really old players and NOTHING down on the farm. I recently read an article that said they had the worst farm system in all of baseball.

Sure you can go buy all the great players you want but you need to be able to develop some guy in your own system, that is where Jeter, Bernie, Posada, and guys like that came from.

It will be interesting to see how far out they can drop and what drastic moves the boss makes.

Bloggers talk about the Yanks and a horrible start

Enjoy it while it lasts. Baseball thinks it's important that Yankees are one of the premier teams. It's been going on for decades. They won't be down long. I said 5 years in another thread, but thats at the outside, imho.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
I would like to see A Rod on the Sox but the Boss would have to pick up an insane amount of that contract... so it would never happen...

It might, if he decides to listen to his people. Steinbrenner's decisions are the cause of the current state of the Yankees. Of course, ARod and the money to make him affordable would rape our farm system.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
It might, if he decides to listen to his people.  Steinbrenner's decisions are the cause of the current state of the Yankees.  Of course, ARod and the money to make him affordable would rape our farm system.

No doubt it would cost the Sox a ton of their prospects...While A Rod is one of the better players in the league it wouldn't really be worth turning the Sox farm system into what the Yanks have now for him.....

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
Don't worry, some f***head owners will make stupid trades with them and help them out.

That's exactly what I was hinting at in post number 4 of this thread.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
These are the Yankees. They will not be this bad all year. They always go on a run. I wish we were catching them now instead of later in the year.

I disagree. Their pitching is for s***. They are old and slow. Jeter, ARod and Matsui ... maybe Sheffield, we'll have to see about him .... are all they really have.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 5, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
These are the Yankees. They will not be this bad all year. They always go on a run. I wish we were catching them now instead of later in the year.

We always play the Yankees pretty well, we just seem to get 'up' for them.

By the way, there is a quote in the paper today in which Ozzie was asked how the Sox pitching compares to the Yankees. His reply was something like, that's not a fair comparison, they're a last place team. Ozzie has a special drive when it comes to playing teams that get more pub, like the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs. He tries to downplay it, but you can tell the fire is there. He's gonna be geeked to get at em. :headbang

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

If i'm not mistaken, 2005 is Cashman's final year under contract.

I believe Steinbrenner may follow the route of Dodgers/Red Sox and hire an economics orientated (moneyball) general manager. There are plently of ivy league graduates outside of Beane's inner cult who could adequately replace Cashman.

You just have to assume King George is fed up with a $200 million dollar payroll losing to teams with payrolls 1/6 of theirs.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The Yankees are always going to score runs, that's a given, although their lineup isn't as deep as it was last year. They never should have let Miguel Cairo go for Tony Womack, but the worst decision was not resigning Jon Lieber when they could have picked up his $8 million option. Now they're stuck with Kevin Brown and Jaret Wright who had Leo Mazzone's Magic Touch written ALL over him.

And I loved this quote from Ozzie on the Yankees' starters;

Guillen was asked where his rotation stacked up against others in the major leagues.

How about in comparison to the Yankees?

"They're not a comparative team,'' Guillen said. "They're in last place."

Heres the thing. The yankees dont have much to trade to get players back. They have absolutley no minor league system left, their players are all old and overpaid. All they can do is keep signing free agents every year, which does not always help. Cough Jared Wright Cough.

One thing that goes overlooked in the recent rants is the cohesiveness of the Yankees dynasty. Alot of those players on the WS winnning teams grew up in the minors together, and then went to the bigs. They had some cohesiveness between them. This clubhouse is just hired guns and headcases.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
I would like to see A Rod on the Sox but the Boss would have to pick up an insane amount of that contract... so it would never happen...

cause arod got the mariners/rangers/yankees to the world series???

the guy's a jinx...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 5, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
The Yankees are always going to score runs, that's a given, although their lineup isn't as deep as it was last year. They never should have let Miguel Cairo go for Tony Womack, but the worst decision was not resigning Jon Lieber when they could have picked up his $8 million option. Now they're stuck with Kevin Brown and Jaret Wright who had Leo Mazzone's Magic Touch written ALL over him.

1996-2000 Yanks always had guys like Brosius, O'Neill, Tino, Girardi, etc. who were good, solid ballplayers. Gus who would give themselves up for the good of the team (Bunts, Sac Flys). After they lost to the D-backs, they decided to build an all-star team. Lots of selfish players. They'll put up runs and win their share of games, but things get tough in the playoffs when they have to pick each other up.

Kind of parallels (on a different $$$ scale) recent Sox clubs. Big stats, little to show for it at the end. Thank God KW decided to go the speed, pitching, defense route, finally.