Kenny interested in Tony G.?

Jabroni

I saw this post at the other Sox message board...

Today, Rooney, Farmer, and Bill Melton all mentioned that KW may be interested in acquiring Tony Graffanino. He was a quality utility infielder for us, and personally I would welcome him back, especially considering all the injuries and shallow bench experience right now in the infield.

Still, he's been on-off with injuires since with the Sox.

Any thoughts on when how this might happen, or if it will?

I myself heard Rooney and Farmer talking about Graffanino but I didn't see the post-game with Melton. Graffanino is earning $1.1 million in the final year of his contract with the Royals this season. Kenny must want a solid backup 3rd baseman. Interesting to say the least.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Tony G. but I'm not sure I'd want him back. He's had knee injuries ever since he left the Sox and we do have Pablo Ozuna right now. Not to mention the fact that Tony wants to play everyday which could not be gaurenteed by the Sox.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 5, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)

I myself heard Rooney and Farmer talking about Graffanino but I didn't see the post-game with Melton.  Graffanino is earning $1.1 million in the final year of his contract with the Royals this season.  Kenny must want a solid backup 3rd baseman.  Interesting to say the least.

If Ozuna's injury isn't serious (which it doesn't appear to be) than I don't see any reason to do this.

I love Tony G. but I'm not sure I'd want him back. He's had knee injuries ever since he left the Sox and we do have Pablo Ozuna right now. Not to mention the fact that Tony wants to play everyday which could not be gaurenteed by the Sox.

I like Ozuna alot, as most of you know, but he looks pretty clueless at 3rd base. He would be a defensive liability there if Crede were to go down for an extended period of time. Also, I doubt Tony G. would have a problem coming back to a team with fans who still love him considering they are winning like crazy even if it's just for a bench role. Right now he's sharing time with Ruben Gotay and Mark Teahen anyways at 2B and 3B. Also, remember that he's playing for the godawful Royals. Anyone would want to get the hell out of there.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ May 5, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't mind upgrading Ozuna but not with that bible thumper, IMO he burned bridges on the way out. There's other ute guys out there and it's not a pressing issue.

Apparently not with the guy that matters though. I think that if we are going to contend for a World Series then we'll need another veteran like Graffs. Now, I would understand wanting Ozuna over Graffanino but you'd have a hard time convincing me that you'd rather have Pablo in a pressure packed playoff game

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Apparently not with the guy that matters though. I think that if we are going to contend for a World Series then we'll need another veteran like Graffs. Now, I would understand wanting Ozuna over Graffanino but you'd have a hard time convincing me that you'd rather have Pablo in a pressure packed playoff game

Yeah, that's why I said IMO but I'd also say he didn't endear himself to some of his former teammates on the way out.

I definitely agree that Ozuna is a spot that can be upgraded esp. with someone with playoff experience.

I love Ozuna's bat but I saw enough of him at 3B in Spring Training and this season to know that he is not a good defensive 3rd baseman. If Crede goes down, we have no one who can play solid defense at 3rd base.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 5, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)

I myself heard Rooney and Farmer talking about Graffanino but I didn't see the post-game with Melton.  Graffanino is earning $1.1 million in the final year of his contract with the Royals this season.  Kenny must want a solid backup 3rd baseman.  Interesting to say the least.

Graffy was a class act with the Sox and the organization always liked him. His move was solely for more playing time and it didn't work out. I'd definately love to see him back on the South Side.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ May 5, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I didn't hear anything about this.  What's the story?

I never heard anything about that. The only thing I remember was Tony liked the Sox, JR loved Tony but Tony wanted to at least give starting a shot and at the time the Royals were coming off a surprising year and were going to let him play everyday.

I never heard anything about that.  The only thing I remember was Tony liked the Sox, JR loved Tony but Tony wanted to at least give starting a shot and at the time the Royals were coming off a surprising year and were going to let him play everyday.

Yep, and now he's stuck platooning with the likes of Ruben Gotay and Mark Teahen at 2B and 3B so I doubt that he'd mind leaving the horrible Royals for his old team, the 21-7 Sox!

Edited by Jabroni

I'd be shocked if Kansas City ever traded Graffinino to the White Sox.

Unless we're willing to overpay, which ultimately won't be much; perhaps Adkins or Diaz, how often do cellar teams trade within their division? Often, it only occurs when a large, albatross contract is removed.

Regardless, say there was a "problem," this is a new clubhouse with a new attitude.

They are big boys, they'll be fine.

Plus, he was endeared by the fans. He represented everything right with those clubs. I think he'd come in and gel in no time.

That said, let's not get our hopes up. We are the best team in baseball. :lol:

There isn't a lot of heat between the Sox and Royals so I don't thinkt he division will get int he way. It's not like the D-Rays helping out the Yanks. If Baird thinks he can get a solid prospect form us, I think he'd have to do it. I really believe that the gm's and owners in this division root for the representative inthe playoffs as they constantly hear about how bad the AL Central is. I thinkthe Central resembles a collegiate Conference in that regard

I'd be shocked if Kansas City ever traded Graffinino to the White Sox.

Unless we're willing to overpay, which ultimately won't be much; perhaps Adkins or Diaz, how often do cellar teams trade within their division?  Often, it only occurs when a large, albatross contract is removed.

The Royals are headed for another horrible season and Graffanino is in the last year of his contract for them. He is making $1.1 million this season. I would bet that they would dump him for an average prospect in a second considering they have Gotay and Teahen to play 2B and 3B. Is Tony Graffanino going to get the Royals to the playoffs? Hell no. So if they don't trade him, they lose him to free agency and get nothing for him. They would take an average prospect in a second for him.

Edited by Jabroni

Guest JimH

A few thoughts ...

jabroni, you were talking about Ozuna being able to play 3B all spring (so was I). In fact I specifically remember a spring training game when he made a great diving stop to his right to rob a double, and threw the guy out. So I'm not sure where this shift is coming from, that he is below average at 3B.

Next ... I hope Graffanino is totally over the labrum surgery. KC had him penciled in at 2B and he's only been over at 3B due to Teahan being out. I don't know if he's played any SS yet this year, my guess is he hasn't.

Further, I would speculate if they got Graffanino, it's not at the expense of Ozuna but rather Harris. Or Gload because Graffanino has played some 1B.

Lastly, Sox have not made a deal with KC since 1987. Not saying they wouldn't, it is just very rare as Flash stated.

Finally, I have no doubt the White Sox would have some interest in Graffanino but I'd think it would be later on in the season. At this point, there really isn't a pressing need to make a change.

A few thoughts ...

jabroni, you were talking about Ozuna being able to play 3B all spring (so was I).  In fact I specifically remember a spring training game when he made a great diving stop to his right to rob a double, and threw the guy out.  So I'm not sure where this shift is coming from, that he is below average at 3B.

Next ... I hope Graffanino is totally over the labrum surgery.  KC had him penciled in at 2B and he's only been over at 3B due to Teahan being out.  I don't know if he's played any SS yet this year, my guess is he hasn't.

Further, I would speculate if they got Graffanino, it's not at the expense of Ozuna but rather Harris.  Or Gload because Graffanino has played some 1B.

Lastly, Sox have not made a deal with KC since 1987.  Not saying they wouldn't, it is just very rare as Flash stated.

Finally, I have no doubt the White Sox would have some interest in Graffanino but I'd think it would be later on in the season.  At this point, there really isn't a pressing need to make a change.

Ozuna has played 2 games at 3B and has 1 error there. He has played 3 games at SS and has 1 error there. I know it's a small sample size but from what I have seen, Ozuna has looked pretty bad on hard hit shots at him. I'm comfortable with him playing LF and 2B but Ozuna playing SS and especially 3B scares me.

Edited by Jabroni

Tony G replacing Ozuna is fine, never really thought Ozuna would be on the big league team to begin with this year.

G replacing Harris would be kind of silly though because then youd have an entire RH infield. Harris has been doing fine, and there is really no reason why Graff and Harris could not be a great bench combo.

SB