Hudson's delayed steal

Rex Hudler

Guest JimH
Orlando Hudson's steal of 2B was a thing of beauty today.  I can't remember the last time I saw a legit delayed steal in the Big Leagues.  Anyone remember the Sox pulling one in recent years??

I would check on bluejaystalk.com , maybe they are talking about all the great White Sox plays over there. :D

QUOTE(JimH @ May 7, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
I would check on bluejaystalk.com , maybe they are talking about all the great White Sox plays over there. :D

Sorry, I thought there might be some people on here who have an appreciation of the nuances of the game regardless of which team is involved.....

SMARTASS!!!!!

:P

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ May 7, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Hawk and DJ were talking about delayed steals last week.  They said it had been a long time since they saw one.  Uribe handles the throw, it's a delayed out.  Me thinks.

You're right. But that is what a delayed steal is designed to do. You are stealing on the middle infielders, not the catcher. The catcher has plenty of time to get the ball there, it is the middle infielders that break late, not knowing the runner broke, since he doesn't break immediately on the pitcher's first move toward the plate. It is difficult to make the catch and tag on the run, which is what happens if it is executed properly.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(chunk23 @ May 7, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
How does a delayed steal work?

Steal when the catcher returns the ball back to the pitcher, and not as the pitcher is about to throw a pitch out.

QUOTE(chunk23 @ May 8, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
How does a delayed steal work?

When the pitcher makes his move toward home, the baserunner does two (or three) slidesteps like he would normally do after the ball is thrown. He then turns and takes off. The play is designed to catch the defense off guard. Typically, when a runner takes off, the firstbaseman will yell "runner!" to let the infielders know he is stealing.

In the case of a delayed steal, by the time the runner takes off, the infielders attention has turned to the pitch, hence the opportunity to catch them by surprise. After each pitch, with a runner on base, you should see both middle infielders take a few steps toward the middle so they can react if the catcher overthrows the pitcher. If a team sees the middle infielders getting a little lazy, they will sometimes try the delayed steal. They also may try it if they see the SS (or whichever infielder they believe will be covering) drifting toward the hole on the pitch.

For the most part it has been abandoned in the professional ranks because it is difficult to catch players of that calibur by surprise. When it works it is a thing of beauty, however.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 7, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
What the f*** do Canadians know about baseball?-absolutely nothing.

God that's some stupid s***. Playing the 12-16 Tigers is no where near the difficultly of playing the 12-19 Yankees.

Their record is the result of a combination of having arguably the easiest schedule in baseball to this point, as well as having EVERYBODY off to an incredible start.

Yep all those hitters off to career Aprils.