Crash

Pauly8509CWS

Just saw Crash with Ludacris, Matt Dillon, Don Cheadle, and Sandra Bullock tonite. One of the best movies with a spectacular message about racism and stereotypes. Perfectly written and acted I thought the viewpoints in this movie were very realistic. It is a must see, 4 star movie. Anyone else see it? and if not, do yourself a favor...

Edited by Pauly8509CWS

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ May 8, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
Just saw Crash with Ludacris, Matt Dillon, Don Cheadle, and Sandra Bullock tonite.  One of the best movies with a spectacular message about racism and stereotypes.  Perfectly written and acted I thought the viewpoints in this movie were very realistic.  It is a must see, 4 star movie.  Anyone else see it? and if not, do yourself a favor...

I just heard about the movie last night. Definitely on my "must see" list.

• 4 months later...

I felt that this thread should be bumped now that more peopel should have seen it by now.

Only thing i really have to say is... i hope this movie makes michael pena HUGE. He actually has range and he does not have to play the ''gangbanger'' any longer. He made the movie for me.

I got this on dvd the day it came out and it has to be one of my favourite dvds, I watched it twice on that very day. Crash is easily my favorite movie of 2005 with Sin City and The Devil's Rejects trailing VERY far behind.

I've seen endless complaints about how the movie tries too hard to be important, is pretentious, and has too many impossible consequences, but I can only agree with that last point. This movie takes coincidences to a whole new level not seen, even in the likes of Pulp Fiction, but I've never had a problem with film leaving the boundaries of what is I guess, considered plausible. Of course this doesn't mean I don't get mad when a bus jumps a 2 football field gap, whoa! weird Sandra Bullock coincidence.

Now I've also seen people complain how the movie tries too hard to evoke emotion from the audience, so I guess some people just weren't into the characters or something because I haven't cared about a group of characters like this since Magnolia and Shawshank Redemption. And lets be honest 99.9% of filmmakers wish they could evoke half the emotion that comes pouring out of the cinematography, score and actors.

I'd also like to tackle this idea that the film tried to be too important and was prententious. Most of the time filmmakers try to make a film that is important and compelling so I don't really know what the problem is here. And lets consider that Crash doesn't really even force anything upon us, Crash says that life isn't simple and neither are the characters, and you don't really know the characters and maybe you don't even know yourself.

9.9/10

Brendan Fraser seemed somewhat lacking.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
I got this on dvd the day it came out and it has to be one of my favourite dvds, I watched it twice on that very day.  Crash is easily my favorite movie of 2005 with Sin City and The Devil's Rejects trailing VERY far behind. 

I've seen endless complaints about how the movie tries too hard to be important, is pretentious, and has too many impossible consequences, but I can only agree with that last point.  This movie takes coincidences to a whole new level not seen, even in the likes of Pulp Fiction, but I've never had a problem with film leaving the boundaries of what is I guess, considered plausible.  Of course this doesn't mean I don't get mad when a bus jumps a 2 football field gap, whoa! weird Sandra Bullock coincidence.

Now I've also seen people complain how the movie tries too hard to evoke emotion from the audience, so I guess some people just weren't into the characters or something because I haven't cared about a group of characters like this since Magnolia and Shawshank Redemption.  And lets be honest 99.9% of filmmakers wish they could evoke half the emotion that comes pouring out of the cinematography, score and actors.

I'd also like to tackle this idea that the film tried to be too important and was prententious.  Most of the time filmmakers try to make a film that is important and compelling so I don't really know what the problem is here.  And lets consider that Crash doesn't really even force anything upon us, Crash says that life isn't simple and neither are the characters, and you don't really know the characters and maybe you don't even know yourself.

9.9/10

Brendan Fraser seemed somewhat lacking.

Jewish people are very upset that there was not a jewish character in crash... give me a f***ing break.

THe whole brendan fraser/sandra bullock story was lacking as a whole to me. While we know she was not happy/depressed i would have liked to know why she was how she was more than the lame explanation they gave.

Terrence howard while i heard he is a prick in real life is a fantastic actor. In the last year and a half he has been in crash, ray, hustle and flow, and lackawanna blues... all very good movies in there respective ways. Have you by chance seen him in hustle and flow? There has been some oscar buzz for his performance in it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Jewish people are very upset that there was not a jewish character in crash... give me a f***ing break.

THe whole brendan fraser/sandra bullock story was lacking as a whole to me. While we know she was not happy/depressed i would have liked to know why she was how she was more than the lame explanation they gave.

Terrence howard while i heard he is a prick in real life is a fantastic actor. In the last year and a half he has been in crash, ray, hustle and flow, and lackawanna blues... all very good movies in there respective ways. Have you by chance seen him in hustle and flow? There has been some oscar buzz for his performance in it.

Nope, but it's on my "must-see list". I'm interested in seeing how Ludacris does playing a character more similar to himself, I assume it's pretty seemless?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
Nope, but it's on my "must-see list".  I'm interested in seeing how Ludacris does playing a character more similar to himself, I assume it's pretty seemless?

Yup... while he is pretty good considering most rappers are hack actors... he is mos def not the best out there.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
OMG!!! Check out Mos Def in Something the Lord Made, he was great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386792/

I walk past it every day at blockbuster and i believe the dvd case does not give a great description about it... so i was like fish this. Never have really looked it up until now and it sounds damn good.

Thanx, i will check it out within the week and let you know what i thought.