Today class.. we dissect a dog....

Steff

http://www.local6.com/news/4480144/detail.html

Class Dissection Of Live Dog Outrages Parents, Students

Student: 'It Just Makes Me Sick...'

POSTED: 8:12 am EDT May 12, 2005

UPDATED: 7:57 am EDT May 13, 2005

A biology class lesson in Gunnison, Utah involving the dissection of a live dog has outraged some parents and students, according to a report.

"I thought that it would be just really a good experience if they could see the digestive system in the living animal," Biology teacher Doug Bierregaard said.

Biology teacher Doug Bjerregaard, who is a substitute teacher at Gunnison Valley High School, wanted his students to see how the digestive system of a dog worked.

Bjerregaard made arrangements for his students to be a part of a dissection of a dog that was still alive.

The dog was still alive, but the teacher said it was sedated before the dissection began.

With the students watching, the sedated dog's digestive system was removed.

"It just makes me sick and I don't think this should go on anywhere and nobody's learning from it," student Sierra Sears said.

The teacher said the lesson would allow students to see the organs actually working.

"I thought that it would be just really a good experience if they could see the digestive system in the living animal," Bierregaard said.

The school's principal, Kirk Anderson, said notifications went to parents explaining the dog was going to be euthanized and that the experiment would be done with the dog's organs still functioning.

The teacher is standing by his decision and calls it the ultimate educational experience.

Principal Anderson said he supports the lesson and it will be allowed to continue because the students are learning.

The dog used in the experiment was going to be euthanized despite the class project.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Wow.  If education was the name of the game, why didn't the dissect the idiot teacher, while he was still alive...  :fyou

Thats exactly what I was going to say... in the sake of learning we are going to disect your teacher and show you how the human digestive system works kids....what a f***ing joke...

I don't see what is that bad about this. I mean, sure, if they were stealing someones dog and cutting it up, that would not be good, but this is just one of many dogs that is going to be put to sleep anyway. It could gross a lot of people out, though, and I'm sure it will be optional, because that is what all the the dissection stuff at my school is. Ive cut up frogs, pigs, cow stuff, and I belive net year is a cat. Doesnt bother me at all. Anyways, with this situation, if you think about it like just an open-heart surgery on a dog, its not so bad, and that is the way I see it. Then the dog is put to sleep right after, which happens all the time. No big deal? :huh

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ May 13, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I don't see what is that bad about this. I mean, sure, if they were stealing someones dog and cutting it up, that would not be good, but this is just one of many dogs that is going to be put to sleep anyway. It could gross a lot of people out, though, and I'm sure it will be optional, because that is what all the the dissection stuff at my school is. Ive cut up frogs, pigs, cow stuff, and I belive net year is a cat. Doesnt bother me at all. Anyways, with this situation, if you think about it like just an open-heart surgery on a dog, its not so bad, and that is the way I see it. Then the dog is put to sleep right after, which happens all the time. No big deal?  :huh

Agree Completly.

What's bad? The dog was still living. I don't care how much sedatives he had in him, thats wrong. That's disgusting. It's one thing to dissect a dead animal, its another to disect one that's still breathing.

Also, Lobster = food. There's a difference.

QUOTE(winodj @ May 14, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
In some countries, dog=food.

This is not one of those countries though...

I'm sorry but this is just insane. They couldn't dissect the poor thing while it DEAD! What bothers me about this is that sedation doesn't always work. We have no idea how much pain the poor thing felt. This guy is a moron!

Im pretty sure they would be able to tell if the dog was in pain....