Two Former Sox Just Designated for Assignment

JDsDirtySox

I posted this in around the horn too, but I wanted to put it in here where I knew everyone would see it. I wouldn't touch Jimenez with a 10 foot pole, but tell me this... Would you rather have Timo or Singleton?

Reds designated infielder D'Angelo Jimenez for assignment.

Can Eric Milton be far behind? OK, maybe that's a reach. Jimenez has a $2.87 million contract, so he'll clear waivers. It's a pretty gutsy move for the Reds. Jimenez was awful in 35 games this year, but he was pretty good in 225 games for the team prior to the season. He's still decent enough to start at second for some teams and there will be plenty of interest in him if he becomes a free agent. The Reds will go with Ryan Freel at second base for now and they could rotate Felipe Lopez between the middle-infield spots after Rich Aurilia returns. Not only is this good news for Freel, but it also helps Austin Kearns, as Freel should no longer get any outfield at-bats

Devil Rays designated outfielder Chris Singleton for assignment.

It's the right move, but it should have been made when Joey Gathright or Jonny Gomes was the alternative. In Tampa Bay's view, it was Damon Hollins that made Singleton expendable. Singleton hit .271/.348/.356 in 59 AB. He'd be a better fifth outfielder than Quinton McCracken in Arizona or Keith Reed in Baltimore, but he'll probably clear waivers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
With him its always just a matter of time before he wears out his welcome. Its too bad because the guy has a lot of talent.

Yeah it's pretty hard for them not to play Freel when he's out there busting his ass every time they give him a chance, and D'angelo is sleepwalking his way through games

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 20, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
Yeah it's pretty hard for them not to play Freel when he's out there busting his ass every time they give him a chance, and D'angelo is sleepwalking his way through games

As long as Freel doesn't drive himself to the ballpark everyday, I'll root for him. He plays the game right.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 21, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
I love DJ's talent, but he has a hooney-moon period with a team, then it's over. Singleton is a nice guy. As far as playing, if Timo does get let go, I would love Singleton back with the team. I just don't see it.

After thinking about it, I believe I'd rather have Singleton. But then, I haven't been following him at all. If Tampa Bay releases you, that has mean something. I know Chris is better defensively than Timo, and is a better baserunner. He must not be hitting a lick.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 21, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
After thinking about it, I believe I'd rather have Singleton.  But then, I haven't been following him at all.  If Tampa Bay releases you, that has mean something.  I know Chris is better defensively than Timo, and is a better baserunner.  He must not be hitting a lick.

I agree with your assessment of Chris vs. Timo in terms of their skills. And I believe Chris is a genuinely good guy. But Timo is from the same town as Uribe, and I think that has probably helped Uribe's comfort level and growth. KW has the two of them from the Dominican Republic, the two Cuban pitchers, the two Japanese... We might not want to take away from our team chemistry for the small skills improvement Chris would bring.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 21, 2005 -> 05:58 AM)
I agree with your assessment of Chris vs. Timo in terms of their skills. And I believe Chris is a genuinely good guy. But Timo is from the same town as Uribe, and I think that has probably helped Uribe's comfort level and growth. KW has the two of them from the Dominican Republic, the two Cuban pitchers, the two Japanese... We might not want to take away from our team chemistry for the small skills improvement Chris would bring.

That's something to consider. Maybe.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 21, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)

Even though Timo and Juan may be from the same town, the sox have a large enough Latino contingent that could probably absorb losing Timo. I remember that Colo. had virtually no Latino ballplayers, which affected Uribe.

I agree chemistry has to be considered in adding/ subtracting any players to this team. Yet from what Timo has done this year [with pop up bunts, bunting when the sox need a flyball, no hitting, etc] the sox may be better off w/o him

After thinking about it, I believe I'd rather have Singleton.  But then, I haven't been following him at all.  If Tampa Bay releases you, that has mean something.  I know Chris is better defensively than Timo, and is a better baserunner.  He must not be hitting a lick.

Actually, Singleton HAS been hitting...

Chris Singleton

59 AB

.271 AVG

.348 OBP

0 HR

11 RBI

6 BB

14 SO

And yes, I would take him over Timo. He is better defensively and is probably a better hitter as well.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 20, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Jimenez wore out his welcome in the last few days in Cincy

In one of his last games for the Reds baseball tonight showed a highlight of him dogging a play and Gammons really called him out on it basically saying he doesn't play hard.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
In one of his last games for the Reds baseball tonight showed a highlight of him dogging a play and Gammons really called him out on it basically saying he doesn't play hard.

Jiminez is a dog.